Download of the Week: Yet Another Process Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

All Windows versions since 3.0 have included a Task Manager utility to view running processes and (at least on the later versions) monitor a computer’s performance. Easily evoked by the Ctrl + Alt + Del keyboard combination, surely we’ve all found it to be a godsend on occasions when we need to kill a stuck application or resource hog process. But sometimes you just need more information and finer controls to make an accurate assessment on whether a process should be running or not and optimize memory use.

Yet Another Process Monitor (YAPM) is a free and yet powerful application designed to view and manage your running tasks, processes, threads, modules, windows, handles, services and even monitor remote machines on your network. YAPM also provides real-time graphs of processor, memory, and disk activity and can save a complete history of all statistics. There’s an option to right-click a process and search the internet for information, and for the more tech-savvy a built-in hex editor to view the memory regions used by processes.

The program is open source and requires no installation – although you do need to have .NET Framework 2.0 installed. One unfortunate drawback, however, is that for now YAPM is 32-bit compatible only so if you’ve already made the switch to 64-bit I recommend using the likewise impressive Process Explorer by SysInternals.

Permalink to story.

Used the YAPM good app.

Liking the TECHSPOT new to it, I will take out an account.

G'Day
Corca

Sysinternals, Process Monitor, Process Explorer and other tools are the best.

Sysinternals tools are great, but not open source...

This one is open source. And provides remote monitoring, and I don't think sysinternals can do that...

BTW, nice app

This tools created with Visual Studio required a recent operating system with latest Microsoft .NET runtime.
Readme.txt file, I can read:
"REQUIREMENTS
YAPM runs on Windows XP, Windows Vista or even Windows Seven systems (32 bits only)."

What is the minimum configuration?
XP service pack?
Runtime .NET version ?

It requires :
- .Net framework 2.0 SP1 (or above)
- Windows XP (tested successfully on SP2 and SP3) or Windows Vista (tested successfully on SP0 and SP1) or Windows Seven RC0 (could not test on another version)

Only 32 bits for now, but the 64 bits version is coming in 1 or 2 weeks

Concerning hardware conf, nothing specific is required but a decent conf (i.e. more than 128MB of memory...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back