DPI issue Multiple displays (4K and HD) in Windows 10

Iddo12

Hi Again,
So after resolving the first issue I recently had (with Chrome) - maybe someone here can help me with the much more significant problem of DPI in windows 10.

Here is my setup:
Three displays:
1. 4K - 27" Dell.
2. 1920x1200 - 24" Dell.
3. 1680x1050 - 23" LG.
Using windows 10. DPI settings - 150% for the 27" and 100% for the two others.
Graphics card (GTX 970) updated to latest driver.

Problem - the text and general look of the 27" is too small - on the two other screens - everything is way too big in this configuration - if I increase the DPI on the 27" inch - the size of the text/icons etc. on the two other display also increase (although I keep it at 100% - it as if they are connected although they should not be).

I read dozens of threads all over the web about this - some say everything is O.K. with their setup - others claim that this is still a problem MS didn't resolve (how could this be - there are plenty of people working with 4K and non 4K displays - I am sure some of them work for MS - or maybe they are not using windows?).

I'll be happy to attach a screenshot if this helps.

Suggestions?

Ido

I don't follow.
Are you saying that the nVidia control panel has a place to change DPI? - I can't see any place like that.
What do you mean by menu for the screen - the physical menu on my DELL? what sort of setting are you talking about?

I already read this article - it didn't help - I have done what it said and I am still with this problem.
As for scaling on the setting of the screen - I didn't find anything like this - on any of my displays...
Other ideas?

Oh - one more note about the article - from the article:
Once you're happy with the scaling percentage you'd like to try, hit Apply and that single monitor's scaling will change while the others remain the same.
This is not what I see - when I scale the main monitor - the other two change as well.

I believe so.
Also. whenever the computer or the screen goes to sleep all the windows goes from the main display to the 24" - pretty annoying as well.

M... not according to the OS - win 10 says the 27" is monitor 1.
Also - with 3 displays - I can't change inputs (the 24" has only DVI the 23" uses HDMI and the 27" has to be connected with DP.

Another annoying point - a window can be opened on the 27" monitor while the taskbar tab for that window is open on the 24" - super confusing...

Look at the card io to see what is labeled as 1. That is the primary. Also, you can use adapters to the output type you want to use. Another option is to daisy chain the monitors if you want the same image on all 3 at once.

If I were doing it, I'd get 3 of the same monitors and use adapters.

I don't have these options - these are the 3 monitors I have and these are the connectors they are going to use (I Use to have 4 monitors before and I never had these issues - but I was using win7 and 8.1 and non of the monitors were 4K - this combination - win 10 and 4K is what is making all the problems I suspect).

I played with the nvidia panel a bit more but it doesn't seem to solve any of the main issues:
1. the size on the main screen is still too small at 150 DPI and too big at 100 dpi on the two others.
2. tabs opened on the 27" are on the tab of the 24" (some of them at least) and they jump to this display after the screen goes to sleep.

I need other ideas of how to solve this.

Look for newer drivers for the monitors and see if a windows update overwrote any of those installed. Windows 10 offers a tool download to hide unwanted driver updates. Get it from the ms site.

Restarted -nothing major seems to change.
Lets focus on the main issue here -
1. I changed the main screen (27" 4k) to 175% dpi - looks O.K. but the other two are now way too big (huge icons/text) - both of them are at 100% DPI.

How do I resolve this?

TRY disconnecting the secondary and getting the primary correct first.

Getting the primary correct is easy - I just set it to 175% DPI - the problem is that changes the other two...

BINGO - - that's the point, when mirroring, You cant mirror 175 onto a 72 or conversely. The bigger the 'natural' difference of the two, the worse the mirroring will appear.

I think that works the same way - - I guess you've done this before and the change is only Win/10?

I used to have 4 screens on win 7 and than 3 on win 8.1 (non was 4K). After two died I purchased the new 4K 27" and now I have 24" 1920x1200, 23" 1680x1050 and I moved to win 10 in hopes that the DPI thing will be better with the new 4K - it isn't...

I never had this issue when I worked with 3/4 non 4K displays on win 7/8.1 - but this is a hi-dpi problem.

What I don't understand is that MS is saying that now you can set dpi per display - but from my experience this simply doesn't work - changing the DPI on the main screen changes the size of the text/icons on the other two. Plus I have annoying issues with DPI and tabs each time the monitors goes to sleep. It is almost impossible to work this way.

Back