Drive letters missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley50

Hi - winXP disk management no longer shows drive letters but just drive names for all the partitiions on four hdd. My dvd has a letter!
Also I note that when I select 'change drive letter & paths' I am not given the current drive letter nor the option to 'add, change, remove'
The drive letters show up in windows explorer
I must have done something but know not what. Any ideas would be appreciated.
TKIA

Hi - winXP disk management no longer shows drive letters but just drive names for all the partitiions on four hdd. My dvd has a letter!
Also I note that when I select 'change drive letter & paths' I am not given the current drive letter nor the option to 'add, change, remove'
The drive letters show up in windows explorer
I must have done something but know not what. Any ideas would be appreciated.
TKIA

Very interesting to hear! 'cuz i just happened to notice the same anomaly on my own version of Windows XP SP3 within the last coupla days!! (i.e. drive letters appear normally in Windows Explorer and all works well. yet Disk Management doesn't show the drive letters for your my HDD partitions!)

Anyone else also see the same??? In any case, will let you know if i should find why this is happening (but appears to not just be you!)

/* EDIT */
Hmm... but let me one thing that may be different (tho still odd). For my case:
1) If i click Change Drive Letters and Paths i DO have the Add button option
2) If i click Add, it does still available drive letters

But it's the simple display of drives and volumes in disk management that's not showing assigned drive letters (is what's in common with what you repport)

hi - yes - the 'add' works but no longer indicates the current letter. It suddenly stopped showing the letters and the consequence is that I cannot mount/unmount drives. There is other software which appears to obtain the drive letter from this source eg partitioning & backup and just places an '*' for the letter. Tweakui has all paritions correctly listed and checked. Explorer and file management appears to have the drive letters correctly.
cheers

Hi - this was suggested by the excellent support at Paragon and it worked for me:
"Enter RegEdit and find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
There you will need to select Edit - New - Multi-String Value. Rename it to UpperFilters. Then right click on this value and select Modify. Type PartMgr. Quit and then restart Windows."
I had the entry but had 'scanman' instead of 'PartMgr' so a simple change. No idea what this is all about or why it should fix the problem.

Hi - this was suggested by the excellent support at Paragon and it worked for me:
"Enter RegEdit and find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
There you will need to select Edit - New - Multi-String Value. Rename it to UpperFilters. Then right click on this value and select Modify. Type PartMgr. Quit and then restart Windows."
I had the entry but had 'scanman' instead of 'PartMgr' so a simple change. No idea what this is all about or why it should fix the problem.

Thanks for the update! And that solution also makes sense!

> PartMgr.sys is for Windows Partition Management
> It's normally installed as an "upper filter" for DISK devices
> In fact, you can also take a look at and download this tool FilterDriverLoadOrder as you'll see (even in their example) PartMgr should be appearing as an upper filter for each of your disks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back