Driver won't install

Jakmasta

Im trying to install this driver for my laptop: ATI® Mobility™ Radeon™ Graphics Controller Driver for Sony VAIO Pcg-z1wa(uc) and it wont install. I am currently running windows vista and the drive was made for the original xp ( i dont how that is a problem).

Extra notes: laptop has been updated from xp to vista
running on standard vga graphics adapter

Im trying to install this driver for my laptop: ATI® Mobility™ Radeon™ Graphics Controller Driver for Sony VAIO Pcg-z1wa(uc) and it wont install. I am currently running windows vista and the drive was made for the original xp ( i dont how that is a problem).
Vista imposed new requirements on drivers. Many old XP drivers won't work under Vista or Windows 7 (one example: Vista and W7 require all drivers to be "digitally signed". Driver digital signatures were optional for XP)

Windows 7 does support a "virtual XP" mode but I believe
1) It also requires your hardware support "virtualization" (which your old laptop hardware probably doesn't) and
2) Virtual XP mode does allow SOME old XP hardware and drivers to work, but i don't think it applies to graphics hardware and drivers

Have you tried simply getting a Vista compatible driver for your system?
If Sony does not offer it on their site, you can try the generic AMD ATI drivers.
If you really need to install your current drivers, make sure you use an admin account, and run the driver installer in "XP SP2" compatibility mode.
(right-click the EXE file, click Properties, and select the Compatibility tab)

Windows 7 does support a "virtual XP" mode but I believe
1) It also requires your hardware support "virtualization" (which your old laptop hardware probably doesn't) and
2) Virtual XP mode does allow SOME old XP hardware and drivers to work, but i don't think it applies to graphics hardware and drivers

Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise have access to the free Windows XP Mode which uses Microsoft Virtual PC to create a virtual Windows XP environment. This was designed to assist in compatibility issues with older business software.

The requirement of hardware virtualization does not exist anymore in Microsoft Virtual PC. The fifth item on the FAQ shows this: (sorry, can't post links yet -microsoft.com /windows /virtual-pc /support /faq.aspx)

Because this XP environment is virtual, you are connecting to this environment with Terminal Services, which does limit the graphics capabilities. The eleventh item on the above FAQ explains this.

David
Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro

Back