Driver_power_state_failure after installing a new HDD

gabblop

Hello.

So I've just build a new gaming rig and it all works perfectly fine. Except sometimes when I wake my PC back from sleep, the 2TB HDD begins to make a repetitive noise, then all the data on the HDD stops responding. Then, after a few minutes, I get a BSOD saying DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, then it restarts.

Notes
Code: STOP: 0x0000009F
My windows in on a SSD; the HDD is a second drive.

Thank you for help!

Disconnect the 2TB HDD and see if the computer acts normally. if it does, the HDD could be bad

As my whole OS is on a SSD drive, when I disconnect the 2TB drive, the computer still works perfectly!
By the way, I did a CHECK DISK and the results were: 0 bad file records; 0 EA records; 0 reparse records.

So when you connect the 2TB HDD do you get the stop error again? If you do the 2TB HDD is causing the error. CHKDSK may not show any problems but a SMART status check might show a problem

What about them? They're both working. I have an NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti

Also, I find it wierd that when I wake my PC from sleep and the HDD freezes, I lose all sound too! :eek:

Actually, if I plug my speakers into the onboard sound while the hdd freezes, I lose all sound. On the other hand, if I plug it on the soundcard, the sound works.
Can this help anyhow?

The onboard sound is probably conflicting with the soundcard. Go into the BIOS and disable the onboard sound. It might not be necessary but uninstall the onboard sound drivers from programs and features in the Control Panel.

Allright, but I dont think this is a solution to my problem.

Today I noticed something. My computer case has LED fans. When I put my computer to sleep and the LEDs turn off, the HDD DO NOT freeze upon wake up. However, if I put my PC to sleep and my fans and LED are STILL ON, then on the wake up, the HDD will freeze.

Any clue why is this?

If you can get or borrow a power supply to test with, install that one. Other than that yes, replace it with a new one

I can't replace it, but I dont think it will be a power supply problem.

A motherboard problem would be more understandable. Why would the power supply be the source of freezing my hdd? It still receives electricity, as I can still hear the disk turning..

Didn't you say the hard drive stops responding? A power supply is cheaper and easier to replace than a motherboard...

I can't replace my power supply.. I only got one extra, that is only 450W... And can you explain in detail why it would be a power supply problem?

Aaand, I was right: it was a driver problem. I updated everything, including the BIOS and chipset drivers. I have no problems anymore. Still, thanks for your help :p

Back