Driver_Power_State_Failure Vista Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

clytndn

Hi All,
I have had numerous system crashes where I will be doing something and the system crashes, blue screens and says "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE".
This also happens a lot when I am not even at my computer.
I have a GeForce 9600 GT that requires at least a 400W power supply and a combined 12V of 26A and I have only a 330W power supply and am only at 12A and was told this could be the problem.
Right now I have to live with this power supply until I can afford another one but does anyone concur that this could be the problem or is it something else entirely? I will attach my last two minidump files to check out. Thanks!!!

PSU's are the backbone of any system and I have seen top end systems with great hardware have serious issues because the builder/buyer for whatever reason go cheap on a PSU for "budget" purposes.

If your card needs the power it needs the power. Both errors are 0x9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE and these are caused by a driver or drivers and typically occurs during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down, or moving into or out of standby or hibernate mode.

But if your PSU is not supplying your system what it needs therein lies your issue especially if you are lacking the 12v rail power required. Have you searched NewEgg.com?

Thanks for the reply. My power supply came with the case I bought and I never bothered to check out the cards requirements (I know......dumb). I did search newegg.com and I can get pretty much the same from compusa.com and I have a gift certificate that will cover some of the cost. Thanks Again!

Well let's hope this is your issue. Make sure it is a quality power supply. Just because it says it is 500 watts doesn't mean it does so. Also make sure the power supply has the correct connectors for your video card and your 12 volt rails have at least a combined 26A. More would be better.

Very often the power supply that comes with a case is substandard.

Can you give me of an example of the type (brand) I should get? There are lots to chose from and any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks for the info and I will post my system specs as suggested. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back