Drivers for hard disk or SSD not found

Hi,
When a Seagate hard disk (ST3500418AS) or Plextor SSD are connected to my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate installation, no driver is found even via Windows Update.
The drivers should be included in Windows 7 hence AFAIK there are no such drivers available from the manufacturer's sites.

BTW, the drives previously worked on the machine, so it appears that something has gone awry.

Also, both drives are recognised in the BIOS.

MS Security Essentials and also Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can not find any viruses or malware.

Any suggestions?.

Is the problem something that's happened after upgrading from another version of Windows 7? There's precious little extra for home users in Ultimate apart from the ability to switch languages easily and it costs twice as much money. Ultimate's more suitable for businesses wanting to use a network and such things as "nodeless discs" whatever they may be.

It sounds as if the computer is working because you haven't mentioned a problem so does it matter?

Bazz2004, please read my original post which states "When a Seagate hard disk (ST3500418AS) or Plextor SSD are connected to my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate installation, no driver is found even via Windows Update."
With no driver being found, the drives are not usable.

As an extra test I just inserted 3 USB drives that had also previously worked. Two were recognised, while the third (which is an SD-card reader) was not.
Mind you, my main concern is the hard drives not being usable.

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to help you but I would be interested to know where the OS is installed. I'm guessing you have a network set up. Is the computer a server? All I can suggest until you find someone qualified to advise is that you check the settings in the BIOS. Yes, I did read that they are recognised there.

Are the SSDs connected by SATA 3 if available and the other slower hard drives by SATA 2? If not, it might make a difference.

I also posted my query over at Seven Forums. Therein I received a reply from ComputerGeek that contained a fix to recognise a USB drive. After applying the fix, both the hard disk & SSD drive were recognised okay.

Thanks for the replies.

I also posted my query over at Seven Forums. Therein I received a reply from ComputerGeek that contained a fix to recognise a USB drive. After applying the fix, both the hard disk & SSD drive were recognised okay.
Haha

I wanted to read up on the fix that was found and was humored when I noticed, ComputerGeek had linked a fix that was in a TechSpot article.

How to Repair Corrupt USB Mass Storage or CD/DVD Drivers

I'm glad you found a fix. :) I've been following the thread but didn't know what to say.

Back