Dual Channel memory in single channel board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem and I think it's memory related.

I read the post about "Dual-Channel Memory in Single-Channel Motherboard." But it didn't help, plus it was from 2005.

Here's my computer (it's old, I know. I don't have the money to upgrade all of it):
- Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz
- EVGA GeForce 7300 GS / 256MB GDDR2 / PCI Express
- Intel D101GGCL ATI Socket 775 MicroATX Motherboard
- 1 GB (2 x 512MB) PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3 Memory
- Ultra 500-Watt power supply
- Windows XP 32bit

I recently bought a memory upgrade:
2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit

My computer worked fine (minus the small memory amount) before I installed the new memory. After I installed the new RAM, my computer posted, got to the windows splash screen, got to the log in screen, let me log in, then loaded the OS. While loading the OS and launching other start-up programs, my computer froze. I restarted many times and it fixed it. It never got past a few seconds after loading the OS and a few programs.

I reinstalled my old memory and it worked fine again without a hitch.

What is the problem? Is it the fact that the new memory is dual channel and the motherboard is single channel? I re-read the specs of my mobo and it said that dual channel is optional. However when I go to the BOIS menu (F2 on startup) it says "single channel mode" whith the new dual channel kit is in. Is there something in the BIOS I should change? Something to download?

Please Help!

Thanks in advance!

- Veng

Well, I can say I solved my own problem.

After I spent the last 4 hours trying to find the problem. I ran a bunch of mem tests, cleaned the mem slots, etc... It turns out it wasn't a hardware issue at all. I was wiggling my mouse on start up and noted the time it froze... and every time it froze an application was launching in the system tray.

Turns out it was Norton F'ing Anti Virus....

The second it launched the computer froze. So I booted in safe mode and disabled the start up and all other functions of Norton. Rebooted in normal mode, and sure enough, it worked! Without a hitch!

Now here comes the Beach of it. Since I couldn't uninstall Norton because I disabled it (i.e. nothing would run because all the extensions, shells and services for it were dead), I rebooted in safe mode to uninstall, BUT Norton doesn't work in safe mode... WHAT!? The damn program specifically states in a condescending dialog box that you "must reboot in normal mode to access Norton... blah blah blah"

What kind of Virus program doesn't let you access it in safe mode? Isn't that the point, to run a virus scan in safe mode? Piece of crap! But anyways, I digress.

So now I finagled a way to run in normal mode without Norton launching to uninstall it. Uninstalling as we speak, actually.

*SO*

To answer my own question:
Yes, dual channel kits work in single channel boards (Just make sure you uninstall Norton before you put the new RAM in, haha).

- Veng

p.s. After this... I'm switching to McAfee or some sh*t.... Christ. YOU HEAR ME NORTON!? GO SUCK A FAT HAIRY LOBSTER C*CK!

Avira or AVG free versions are reasonable options; and I'm glad you was able to get this thing fixed :)

Thanks for your concern! I'll give Avira a shot and see what happens.

But do already I run AVG free version with Norton (because Norton doesn't always get everything... go figure). I also have 3 other spyware apps just to cover what Norton misses (ran a spyware sweep with Norton and came up negative... I ran just one pass with another spyware app and 25 things came up).

Anyways, I'm dumping Norton. That was the last straw. I put up with it HOGGING HALF OF MY MEMORY, but finding out that you can't even fix a virus problem, let alone ANYTHING ELSE, in safe mode with Norton... they totally just lost a customer.

Buyer beware, lol.

- Veng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back