Dual Nvidia 8800 GT SLI overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technicalfault

Hello, As you can read from the title im looking for a little advise on overclocking these cards. I dont have funds for new cards ATM and am wanting to overclock them instead of buying new ones. I'm only looking for insite from people who really know what their doing here. So please, a small guide on how to overclock these guys keeping in mind im running SLI, I dont know if that makes a difference. Any info needed simply ask and I will tell.

I would use EVGA precision (sorry, no link atm) and just...overclock?
SLI doesn't make any difference except temperature wise. Also you can individually control the graphics cards, but thats not necessary. Just keep temperatures in check.

With the 8800gt, you could easily reach 650 (my suggestion is to just leave the shader clock in check with the core speed, I believe EVGA precision will do this by default), and just inch on from there while watching temps and stress testing with games or something.

Alright, i'll look into EVGA. I dont need a lot of OC because all im really using it for is World Of Warcraft, but with the expansion's that have been coming out, the new worlds they have made are becoming more graphic demanding. I used not to need to overclock and still get frame rates of 50+, im dropping down to 15 in some zones.

Alright, i'll look into EVGA. I dont need a lot of OC because all im really using it for is World Of Warcraft, but with the expansion's that have been coming out, the new worlds they have made are becoming more graphic demanding. I used not to need to overclock and still get frame rates of 50+, im dropping down to 15 in some zones.

Do you want to give us your system specs? there are other components that can be OC'ed in concert with your GPU's to make sure your getting all of performance out of them and your system that you can. You can set up an OC gaming profile for your machine so it only runs OC when you apply it for gaming. Need to know what the rest of your system consists of though so we know what software will work.

I'll be happy too, however, im affraid i cant tell you if I have DDR2 or DDR3 ram.

Running an Intel Quad CPU (Dual Quad) 2.40Ghz (each processor)
4 Gigs DDR(2 or 3) ram
32 Bit Vista
ACPI x86 (I guess that's the motherboard)

I used to be better with computer than this but I had to go to Job Corps for a while and ever since I got back I feel like I totally forgot everything I knew. If this isnt enough Info or there's a better way to list this info just lemme know.

As far as that guide goes above, "Error loading article"

That's not much help, device manager isn't the best place to get specific hardware info. download this
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
It will get the specifics on your system :)
The reason BTW I suggested this is that i am surprised that SLI'd 8800's are having a tough time with WoW, It appears anyway, that something may be holding them back.

C:\Users\God of games\Desktop\GODOFGAMES-PC.html

Let me know if that doesnt work. Im not certain if that's specific to my computer or anyone can look at that, lol.

C:\Users\God of games\Desktop\GODOFGAMES-PC.html

Let me know if that doesnt work. Im not certain if that's specific to my computer or anyone can look at that, lol.

oh i thought you maent that you were going to post a link to the report. I cant access your HDD (that's a good thing) lol do you know how to attach a document?
otherwise you can just type in the names of your ram,motherboard,CPU, etc. from the tabs on CPU-Z

Yes I do, I figured that was going to work, I should had just attached it from that point of thought. Should be attached.

Attachments

• GODOFGAMES-PC.txt
    83.2 KB · Views: 6
okay, .
the Ntune software i linked for the GFX cards will also give you access to the FSB. the Q6600 will normally OC to 3.4-3.6 with voltage bumps, however I think if you just get a nice 3.0Ghz at stock voltage, it will help your situation very much with your 8800's, and wont need an aftermarket cooler.)***** always be mindful of temps anyway while overclocking*****)have a look at this article about OC'ing the Q6600 and see if its something you want to pursue. if so, and you want help let me know :)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2007/07/25/overclocking_intel_core_2_quad_q6600/1

Running an Intel Quad CPU (Dual Quad) 2.40Ghz (each processor)
o.o, what does that mean :confused:?

EDIT: nvm read your cpuz
You have dual, and in the future, if asked, say your processor is a q6600.

o.o, what does that mean :confused:?

EDIT: nvm read your cpuz
You have dual, and in the future, if asked, say your processor is a q6600.

I'll keep that in mind. After looking the article over, It seems I have an adventure ahead of me. I'm interested in doing this, however I think I will wait until tomorrow. To much drama going on right now to wanna get into this. Perhaps you could leave me a guide to do this here and i'll try it tomorrow, if I run into any problems i'll post here for some support. Thank you for all the insight.

And I said (Dual Quad) because it's supposed to be 2 cores acting as four.

I think if you just get a nice 3.0Ghz at stock voltage, it will help your situation very much with your 8800's

My only question in this regard is, Bumping it up to 3.0Ghz and that's it? or Also over clocking the Graphic cards? Also, what are the options behind only OC the Cards instead of having to bump the CPU up as well? Im mostly asking now for the purpose of learning, lol.

And I said (Dual Quad) because it's supposed to be 2 cores acting as four.
Idk its just four cores period. And dual as in dual channel RAM DDR2.

Well you can go ahead and overclock both.
The thing is the 8800gt's should be doing better than that, so its possible that your processor is holding back your graphics card rather than your cards being too weak. Never know until you try.

probably both, but well find that out.Like I said,I have a suspicion that your CPU is holding back your GPU's. and 2) WoW is a game that likes higher clock speeds.
Also, OC'ing your system isn't an overwhelming task unless your trying to break benchmark records, or squeeze every last bit of performance out of your system. To get to 3.0Ghz its likely it will simply be a FSB slide and a stability test. Not a big deal. If you want to really push it then yes, it can be a long arduous 'trial and error' process.

Oh goodness no, Not for WoW. If I was about to start trying to play something more demanding and it was really that worth having the graphics cranked up to max as to have to go through some long drawn out work then maybe, but to get WoW at max graphics I dont think we need all that, lol.

It looks like there an option for me to push the FSB up under NVIDIA control panel, I guess we'll just start there. my FSB clock is currently set at 267Mhz. Any reccomendations there? and how should I test stability? I really wanna learn all this stuff, I love computers, just dont have many ways to learn about em.

I love computers, just dont have many ways to learn about em.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=computers
353,000,000 sources right there.

FSB up under NVIDIA control panel
Uh...with a gigabyte board, there shouldn't be.
Even if there really is, just use the bios.
q6600's FSB is listed under 1066, so you would do:
(FSB listed (usually, use common sense, don't try to set actual FSB to 1066 your computer won't boot)) / 4 x CPU multiplier.
q6600 has a mult of 9, so its
1066/4=267x9 =2400
for 3ghz, just do 3000/9=333
So you would set your FSB to 333 in your bios...then run prime95 or similar cpu stress test. Watch your temps.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=computers
353,000,000 sources right there.

That's funny, honestly. That's well and good, but the problem with google is, if you dont fully understand something they are explaining, you end up having to look through neerly all 353 million results to only possibly find something that breaks it down into something less esoteric. I'm thinking more along the lines of advanced conputer classes in the future.

I'll try those setting and see what happens then. As it turns out, the CPU multiplier is only set to 6x too. 267 @ 6x? Maybe that's why they arent running as well as they could be?

So now my computer just makes this long beeping sound and won't start... What now?... How do I revert the bios when my computer won't let me get to that screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back