Duplicate file cleaner

I have had interest in the same question from time to time.
No personal experience with these, but...
For Photos specifically, check this article.
For files more generally, check this article.
or check this page.
Please, let me know what works well for you.

I hate these things - - they typically don't understand the difference between a real file and any shortcuts to it (aka link and/or symlink).
They usually show up as duplicates and you can't tell, so deleting one may actually delete the original real file.

Very good point. Originally I was going to the individual folder(s) I had the pics in & deleting the dupes that way , that is why I thought a program might be better. Think I'll go back to the folders, may be slower, but probably better. Thank you. :)

Go to the folder in question, click on the column heading "type". Short cuts will be near the bottom and files will usually be above.
HOWEVER,
  • this is a per folder choice and a real dup of FILEA.jpg would show up as FILEA(1).jpg or Copy of FileA.jpg
  • it does not find dups across folders.
Let's create another choice by this example:
Assume we start in \users\ME\my documents and we have subfolders of A,B,C

Navigate to \users\ME\my documents in the File Explorer window (not the command line)
Notice just under the Mix,Max,Quit icons in the window frame is a text box with the magnifying glass.
place a file name (eg *.jpg) in the box and hit enter

you get a list of JPGs from the current dir and all subdirs (A,B,C).
to find any dups, in the Search Results window, click on the column heading Name

the results are sorted by name.
  • Shortcut files are shown in the name itself
  • the path to each file is in the far righ-hand column
you can delete directly from the Results window

Ok, let me clarify something because what you say in the previous post don't show on my pc. The "individual folders" I mentioned are ones I myself created, for instance 2015-04 = April of 2015 & so on. In the folders, it either shows a number in () or in some cases it says dupes.
This all started when I first started saving my pictures, it would save them all everytime, now it just saves the ones it don't have. Very confusing I know :confused:

Ok, let me clarify something because what you say in the previous post don't show on my pc. The "individual folders" I mentioned are ones I myself created, for instance 2015-04 = April of 2015 & so on. In the folders, it either shows a number in () or in some cases it says dupes.
This all started when I first started saving my pictures, it would save them all everytime, now it just saves the ones it don't have. Very confusing I know :confused:
So the 'dup' is a folder name?

Back