DVD-CD drive failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, my first post, so...just wanted to say hi too....

Toshiba laptop Satellite P205-S6237. DVD-cd drive quit reading disk.(Pioneer Dvr-k17LF) I have tried a number of disks including factory program disk. It just sits there making noise and finally goes quiet with the light drive light on.

Here is what I have done so far.
Went to Device manager (it says it is working ok) I uninstalled and rebooted. Nope
Asked around and someone said go to regedit and get rid of the high and low filters. Went there and there were no filters.
Restored to a earlier point. Nope
Uninstalled a few apps that others had said might interfere with it. (itunes, adobe reader (I don't use them anyway)) NOPE
Went to the Toshiba site and look for any updates or bulletins, didn't seem to be any.
So I thought well the drive must be bad.....
But...
If I put in the restore disk from Toshiba it reads it fine every time and immediately up comes their menu...but put in any other disk and it just works and works until it stops with light on.
But that is the ONLY disk that it will read?????? Any suggestions????
Thanks in advance

Hi

Just out of interest, its a CD-DVD unit, is it having trouble just reading DVD's or CD's and is the restore disk a CD or DVD, you didnt say in your rather good and thorough post.

I ask as they use 2 different lasers to read the 2 types of disk and i have seen these units where one of the lasers fails to work properly.

Regards

WOW, I had never thought of that!
Why yes! it does read a DVD. (found a movie that I had)
But not CD's
and the restore disk???? It does not say on them, BUt I bet it is a DVD and that is why it read them and not the CD

Now it all becomes clear.....or maybe less foggy.

So....the CD side of the drive is bad?? but the DVD is OK??

Thanks

Hi

Yes like i said they use 2 different lasers from the same head as DVD and CD density differ, so it is feasible that the CD laser has either failed or failing, you could try one of those head cleaners for CD units, it may be crap on the lens causing the problem.

Otherwise your only option is to replace the unit.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back