DVD Drive is not detected either in Windows or in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused: I am a CA Student, and I dont know technical aspects of a Computer. Please Help Me to solve this Problem;
Problem: Dvd Drive is not detected either in widows or in Linux.
symptoms
1. I can open and close this drive by using its switch. (Power Supply is ok)
2. Some times DVD drive will be appeard in "My Computer", But when i try to open the system will be stuck for a minute, and i will stop the operation using "Task Manager", And the Drive will be disapperd from "My Computer".
3. When Dvd drive is displayed on My Computer its properties shall show nothing but an empty storage devise.
4. Yesterday i Selected Optimal Defaults in BIOS assuming that may solve this problem. and in windows i could find that drive, and i could view its properties also. to check i put a video cd in to drive. that cd drive made a big noice of rottating the disk. However i could see the contents of the cd. but when i try to open one folder the sistem became stuck and as usually the dvd drive disappeard from my computer.
5. But when i loaded optimal defaults in BIOS that didnt solve the problem.

I need to install some softwares, and that softwares are in CD. Now i am using my pendrive to install that files. Please HELP ME...:D

What is the brand and model of the DVD Drive? And what is its age and previous use.
Usually, this is caused by an optical drive that is worn too badly, or is out of alignment... Cheaper to replace than to fix.
Optical drives last a year. If they are heavily used, many will fail after six or seven months.
Some cannot handle the heat and the constant use.
Opening and closing has not much to do with operation and failure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back