DVD Drive not reading game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorrow

Recently I just swapped my mom's DVD drive with mine [This morning] And it doesn't read Red Alert 3 ..Which I also haven't been able to read on my old drives due to it having problems so I don't know if it's the disk problem or not. I was able to explore the disk, but I never got past the installation screen saying "The system cannot read from the specified device". I don't really know if it is the DVD region thing, since i heard games don't apply to it, although it has a lock.

I would appreciate any insight given. Thanks in advance

Umm, My first DVD drive couldn't read game disks at all, this one can read [Just noticed I may have worded title a bit wrong] but I can't really install it.

The other one was a DVDRW made in 03 I think, The one I got is a DVDRAM [Don't really have an idea what that is >.> ] that she got around 3 months back, so I don't think it would be burnt out.

"DVD-RAM" is a specific format of re-writeable DVD. I think the original forms of it actually ran inside a cage, moch like a floppy disc. DVD-RW and DVD+RW would be the other 2. DVD-RW blanks have been discontinued. I don't know about DVD-RAM, but it's seldom used nowadays. DVD+RW has won this particular "format war", so to speak.

The DVDR/W from '03 is most likely worn out. What is the condition of the game CD? Is it a coppied CD or original

When you swapped the drives, did you reset the jumpers to the appropriate setting? You know, master, slave or cable select?

-> Cranky, very insightful :D Thank you

-> Tmagic, It's probably worn out...Thankfully it's my moms now heheh. I got it new from gamestop, so hopefully it's not a bad copy :eek:

-> Mailpup, snaps...Would that explain why one of my hard drives isn't shown on the my computer list >.>

Sorry I'm not the brightest computer wiz hahah.

Okay, so is there anything I need to do? Like making one or the other a master/slave, or going into the BIOS for it as well?

Typically, you make the drive on the end of the cable master and the drive on the middle connector slave. The settings are changed by physically moving the plastic/metal jumper at the back of the drive to the proper terminals. Tweezers or needle nose pliers can be helpful if you have trouble with big fingers.

You don't have to go into the BIOS.

lol I just finished finding out by Trial and Error, Using my own finger nails =] Surprisingly the disk is actually installing now so I think that may done the trick.

Thank you all so much, and have a happy holiday! =]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back