DVD Drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DVD drive is not reading DVDs. When I insert a DVD in this is what it said "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card." It'll play CDs but not original DVDs. Can someone tell me how I can fix this problem.

I'd actually try installing a different player. WinDVD, Nero Showtime, or whatever. Or perhaps somebody that knows more than I do will suggest a good free one.

Did you update the video driver? A card video needs to be "HDCP" compliant to handle Hi-Def content, but this really doesn't have anything to do with standard DVD.

To me, that's like the stupid s*** that typically comes out of Redmond. I've never seen a DVD that "Nero Showtime" wouldn't play in any computer, with any video card I have. I know WMP used to not even play DVD without installing an aftermarket codec . I've been told that the new versions do play DVD natively, but the damage is done for me, and I just don't bother with WMP.

I'd actually try installing a different player. WinDVD, Nero Showtime, or whatever. Or perhaps somebody that knows more than I do will suggest a good free one.

Did you update the video driver? A card video needs to be "HDCP" compliant to handle Hi-Def content, but this really doesn't have anything to do with standard DVD.

To me, that's like the stupid s*** that typically comes out of Redmond. I've never seen a DVD that "Nero Showtime" wouldn't play in any computer, with any video card I have. I know WMP used to not even play DVD without installing an aftermarket codec . I've been told that the new versions do play DVD natively, but the damage is done for me, and I just don't bother with WMP.

well I tried playing in Real Player, Quick Time Player, and this other program in my computer but it popped up the same phrase...

Are we dealing with Vista here? Because I know that that OS has more DRM than XP.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the applications you mentioned will even play DVD-Video format, Well the first 2 anyway, I obviously can't speak to "this other program".

As far as free it would be what you are using already Window Media Player. You may be in need of some codecs and you can get them here http://free-codecs.com
I would try the codec packs like the XP codec pack

Oh there is another alternative and that would VLC media player, It's free and plays just about anything. Just google it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back