DVI to component video problems

MetalX

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been active but here I am back with a question about something that has stumped me.

I'm trying to connect a PC to the component video input on an older tube TV downstairs. I'm using a DVI to component video cable to get as high a signal quality as I can, but the problem is that the TV doesn't really show anything at all. When I plug the cable into the computer when the TV is on, I hear and see the TV flicker a bit, but nothing appears on screen. When I change between video inputs, as soon as I enter or leave "Video 2" on the TV (which is where the component cables are plugged in), I see, for maybe half a second, the Windows background, repeated about 4 times on the screen, and all in purple. After less than half a second, it vanishes and is replaced by the standard blue screen of a video input which is not receiving a signal, except that the blue screen is flickering slightly, differing depending on what colors are being shown on the desktop in Windows (I have a secondary monitor hooked up so that I can configure things). I don't know how to get the TV to accept the signal permenantly. Is there any way to make this happen?

I'm running an 8800GTS 512 as the video card, the screen resolution is presently 1024x768x32, refresh rate is 60.

There is an older computer hooked up to Video 1 on the TV using S-video, and it is running at that same resolution and refresh rate with no issues.

I'm stumped.

Strange ... did the adapter come with any software? It's a long shot, but perhaps there is a vital update. lol

I've actually read since posting this that apparently DVI-Component adapters only work on ATI/AMD cards. Nvidia cards apparently need a separate hardware converter to do the job. Trying to confirm this however.

Back