Dying Light Benchmarked, Performance Review

Steve

Staff member

dying light benchmarked performance review amd radeon nvidia geforce gpu cpu graphics card performance benchmark hardware dying light techland

Most known for developing the Call of Juarez and Dead Island franchises, Techland is back this week to launch a new open world survival horror title for the PC (including Linux and SteamOS), PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Dying Light takes place in an expansive urban environment where players navigate using freerunning 'parkour' mechanics while scavenge for supplies to craft weapons and defend against the city's growing infected population.

The game has been built with Chrome Engine 6, which is a proprietary 3D game engine developed by Techland that was first used over 10 years ago in Speedway Grand Prix and Chrome (a science fiction first person shooter).

Just as the third version of the game engine spawned Call of Juarez and the fifth version brought Dead Island in 2011, Dying Light is first game to show off Chrome Engine 6 -- Hellraid being this year's only other Chrome 6 title.

Read the complete article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudos, Steve, for including a wide range of products instead of just the newer ones. It allows those of us with older hardware to compare our gears and weigh our upgrade options. And it sure looks like time for me to upgrade both my CPU and GPU.

You said you tested the 560 Ti too, yet there is none in the benchmarks.

Oh well, I'm sure my trusty card won't let me down.

Looks like I'll be shooting for 5.0GHz with my next CPU.
I used to have it in my head that after 4.0Ghz or higher clock speeds didn't really help gaming performance but after countless reviews showing otherwise, that thought has officially left the dome.

Heh, been playing Dying Light myself and just reading the article title I assume others are struggling with the game performance.

Biggest factor I've found is that the game is pretty CPU bound at the moment. According to the Techland devs they're working a patch to fix those issues.

Edit: Added bonus. Some folks have figured out a way to even the load on the CPU.

Launch the game.
Alt-tab out and open Task Manager.
Set Affinity to just a single core.
Set Affinity again to all cores.
Alt-tab back into the game.

I went from a nearly full load on Core0 and Core3 (40% on the other two) to an even 50% or so across the board. Done with an i5-3570k @ 4.4

Last edited:
You really don't need to go that high unless you absolutely want to have an AMD CPU which is totally fine but you could get an i5 with stock clock at 3.5 and be even better. With 5 you would definitely have to get a water cooling setup. I am sure you know all this but your comment seemed like you absolutely had to have 5 Ghz which is a little overboard.

Heh, been playing Dying Light myself and just reading the article title I assume others are struggling with the game performance.

Biggest factor I've found is that the game is pretty CPU bound at the moment. According to the Techland devs they're working a patch to fix those issues.

Edit: Added bonus. Some folks have figured out a way to even the load on the CPU.

Launch the game.

I went from a nearly full load on Core0 and Core3 (40% on the other two) to an even 50% or so across the board. Done with an i5-3570k @ 4.4

Thats some good info to try, Ill have to try this tonight.

Ive bene palying the game the last three days straight with friends and we had a fricking blast playing the Coop. Nothing like survivability in numbers. Playing the game alone, you are more cautious on what you do. but when you have three or ore people who have your back. its so much fun.

Also, night time events are scary as hell and hard. Man, you really don't want to go out in the dark at night unless you get some better weapons and are at a higher level. You get your *** handed to you by the Hunters. I think that's what they are called. Anyway, I have nothing but awesome good to say about this game. Just love it, running around any where you want to go and exploring endlessly is so much fun.

Hopefully the patch comes out soon so everyone can enjoy this gem.

Hehe, bought the 8350 and best AM3+ motherboard at the price of Intel i5 CPU to see how it would age. Happy with my decision from the performance of new games. OCed to 4.8GHz, will be trying to see if 5GHz is possible at 1.55V or under on an AiO once a few other things come in the mail

Yes it will. :) I have an AMD FX-6100 with 8gb DDR3, ASUS GTX 560Ti Direct CU II 1gb vid card and 500gb HDD (no SSD). Runs smooth as butter maxed out except for AA/AF both turned off. With DX12 coming down the pipe this fall, we should be fine with these cards for at least another year or two. ;)

Yes it will. :) I have an AMD FX-6100 with 8gb DDR3, ASUS GTX 560Ti Direct CU II 1gb vid card and 500gb HDD (no SSD). Runs smooth as butter maxed out except for AA/AF both turned off. With DX12 coming down the pipe this fall, we should be fine with these cards for at least another year or two. ;)
Update: Meant to say the 560Ti won't let you down! Cheers with beers for many more years from Ontario Canada eh! :D

Launch the game.

Thats some good info to try, Ill have to try this tonight.

Yeah. There are a few guides out there already with people modifying the game .pak files. For instance I have film grain and CA (chromatic aberration, unfortunately it only works for cut scenes and zombie bites since it's tied into the DoF) turned off since the film grain isn't just a filter but a shader that chews up resources.

Most of the info I got it from was on a reddit post. http://www.reddit.com/r/dyinglight/comments/2turvm/pc_how_to_tweak_and_mod_dying_light/

I'm not very far into the game, but it's been pretty cool so far.
Runs awesome on my 2GB Nvidia Geforce 840M.

Game reminds me of Half Life for some reason... graphics look great on max settings 60fps GTX 780.

You have to complete the prologue in order to unlock the COOP mode. Excellent game, full of action and thinking. Your weapons wear out and have to be repaired and you have to locate safe houses at night for the really bad and tough night creatures and find sellers to buy weapons when you get the money to upgrade. However on a Qosmio with an Intel 4700MQ, a 3GB discrete Nvidia GTX 770M card looks great and runs well.

I've been considering this for a while but I don't know if I should get it for PS4 or my laptop. I got an AMD HD 8970M, how do you think it would do on my laptop?

I call bullshit my r9 280x and everyone elses runs at 20fps.

Well you and everyone else must be clueless when it comes to setting up your gaming PC.

There are a few other new benchmark reviews online now that found similar performance to us.

What are your system specs? Which driver are you using and is the game patched to v1.2.1? There is no way the R9 280X averages just 20fps in this game, that's just stupid.

I've been considering this for a while but I don't know if I should get it for PS4 or my laptop. I got an AMD HD 8970M, how do you think it would do on my laptop?

Well the X1/PS4 will be able to deliver better visuals and performance than the 8970M.

The only mobile GPU from AMD worth its snuff today is the M295X, which is only available on the 5K iMac.

Well the X1/PS4 will be able to deliver better visuals and performance than the 8970M.

The only mobile GPU from AMD worth its snuff today is the M295X, which is only available on the 5K iMac.
But then again, when you buy a gaming laptop it is mainly for portability and if you want that, you have to sacrifice performance. Basically, if you game on a laptop you should expect lower visuals. That said, I feel like the 8970M is plenty and will produce much better visual quality than the PS4, even if it means not fully maintaining 60FPS but instead like 40-60.

Excellent review @Steve , another game that is well optimized for a wide variety of CPU's which is great for everyone. I am a bit sad about the GPU's though to be fair it is a very intensive game with lots of graphical fidelity. I need to check its CFX and SLI performance to see how well my machine will run it at that 2160p threshold :p.

What the point of benchmarking game without using the highest preset?Why you turn off HBAO+?I see in all of your game benchmarks you don't use highest preset.Same in FC4.Lame website.

Back