E3 2020 has been officially canceled

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? If you were planning on going to E3 this year, here’s some bad news: the show has been canceled. As with multiple other events, safety fears over the coronavirus are being blamed for the cancelation, though the diminishing support from publishers will likely have played a part.

We predicted last week that E3 could be canceled following Los Angeles’ decision to declare a state of emergency due to the spread of the coronavirus. Having previously said it was “moving full speed ahead,” organizer the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) changed its stance to “monitoring and evaluating the situation daily.”

The first indication that E3 wouldn’t take place this June came via a tweet from publisher Devolver Digital that read: "Cancel your E3 flights and hotels, y'all." Since then, multiple sources have told Ars Technica that the ESA will cancel the event, while Bloomberg writes that the organizer will make it official with an announcement at 9.30 am Los Angeles time today.

While we don’t know if the event will be postponed or canceled outright this year, the ESA is reportedly considering an online E3 event to take place during the summer.

The coronavirus has caused the cancelation of MWC, GDC, SXSW, Facebook’s F8 conference, music festival Coachella, and many more events. But E3 was already facing other problems, including Sony missing another year, collaborator Geoff Keighley dropping out, and merchandise/events company iam8bit resigning from its creative director position after just five weeks.

One of the companies that will be scrambling to adjust its plans in the wake of E3’s cancelation is Microsoft, which was preparing a large press conference to reveal more of the Xbox Series X.

Update: E3 has now been officially canceled due to growing concerns over the COVID-19 virus. A statement on the expo’s website read:

After careful consultation with our member companies regarding the health and safety of everyone in our industry – our fans, our employees, our exhibitors, and our longtime E3 partners – we have made the decision to cancel E3 2020, scheduled for June 9-11 in Los Angeles.

Following increased and overwhelming concerns about the COVID-19 virus, we felt this was the best way to proceed during such an unprecedented global situation. We are very disappointed that we are unable to hold this event for our fans and supporters. But we know it’s the right decision based on the information we have today.

Our team will be reaching out directly to exhibitors and attendees with information about providing full refunds.

We are also exploring options with our members to coordinate an online experience to showcase industry announcements and news in June 2020. Updates will be shared on E3Expo.com.

We thank everyone who shared their views on reimagining E3 this year. We look forward to bringing you E3 2021 as a reimagined event that brings fans, media, and the industry together in a showcase that celebrates the global video game industry.

Permalink to story.

Another over-reaction.
30 or so deaths in the states so far, 99% of people that get it recover just fine.

Another over-reaction.
30 or so deaths in the states so far, 99% of people that get it recover just fine.

USA has only just started testing. There were hardly any cases two weeks ago. Now look at China, USA, Italy and Iran. Expert say up to 480,000 deaths in the next 3-7 months, and that's conservative. The scariest part - you can pass it just by being infected and BREATHING into the air.

USA has only just started testing. There were hardly any cases two weeks ago. Now look at China, USA, Italy and Iran. Expert say up to 480,000 deaths in the next 3-7 months, and that's conservative. The scariest part - you can pass it just by being infected and BREATHING into the air.

this guy is a fear monger and wants hits on his site.

USA has only just started testing. There were hardly any cases two weeks ago. Now look at China, USA, Italy and Iran. Expert say up to 480,000 deaths in the next 3-7 months, and that's conservative.
It's not nearly as bad as the media has made it out to be. COVID-19 has been around for weeks to months, and is only killing those with very weak immune systems, those already sick or elderly. It's going to keep spreading, it will kill those who cannot fight it off, then it will be over.
Don't buy into all the propoganda and nonsense.
94% of folks recover, or have been discharged.
90% of active cases are mild.

It's not nearly as bad as the media has made it out to be. COVID-19 has been around for weeks to months, and is only killing those with very weak immune systems, those already sick or elderly. It's going to keep spreading, it will kill those who cannot fight it off, then it will be over.
Don't buy into all the propoganda and nonsense.
94% of folks recover, or have been discharged.
90% of active cases are mild.
480,000 deaths in the next 3-7 months....
And yea, USA data on testing is the worst of the lot.
Pence can't even give an actual number of tested, becuase hospitals aren't required to report to CDC. Trump hasn't even been tested yet.

Detection in the US is poor at best. Press conference or whatever it's called said 1.2 million tests are coming with 3 million coming later. Two diff tests.

Grab your popcorn. This is about to get real.

480,000 deaths in the next 307 months.
307 months?
And most of the time, expert predictions are wrong.
Plus, there are 340 million people in America, even if your made up number did turn out to be true, here is the math.
448,000 of 340,000,000 million is 0.13 percent.
Or just over 1 tenth of 1 percent.

307 months?
And most of the time, expert predictions are wrong.
Plus, there are 340 million people in America, even if your made up number did turn out to be true, here is the math.
448,000 of 340,000,000 million is 0.13 percent.

480,000 out of 48 MILLION infected and 96 million tested. That's a lot more than 32 deaths in the US. Watch the video.
We'll see who's right soon enough won't we?

480,000 out of 48 MILLION infected and 96 million tested. That's a lot more than 32 deaths in the US. Watch the video.
Listen, I am not saying that COVID-19 is not serious, or something I am not concerned about. People are dying from it and its no laughing matter, but the mortality rate of those infected is 4-6%, and of those 4-6%, its mostly elderly, sick or folks with medical issues.
As far as the article itself, canceling E3 is huge bummer as my wife and I plan to go one of these years and almost thought about going this year.
I'm 36 going on 37 this year and I've never seen anything quite like this where major sports will be played with no crowds or events cancelled altogether.
Pretty wild.

Listen, I am not saying that COVID-19 is not serious, or something I am not concerned about. People are dying from it and its no laughing matter, but the mortality rate of those infected is 4-6%, and of those 4-6%, its mostly elderly, sick or folks with medical issues.
As far as the article itself, canceling E3 is huge bummer as my wife and I plan to go one of these years and almost thought about going this year.
I'm 36 going on 37 this year and I've never seen anything quite like this where major sports will be played with no crowds or events cancelled altogether.
Pretty wild.

Just watch what happens in the next 7 days.

We haven't even hit 1 million infected worldwide, so you're pulling numbers out of a body orifice here.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0310-sitrep-50-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=55e904fb_2: as of YESTERDAY, only a total of 113,702 people infected worldwide, with just under 81,000 of those in China. That's less than 1/200th of a percent infected in China, & about 3/2000th of a percent infected worldwide. It's also a far cry from 48 million infected (which would be about 6-7% of the world population).

So, yeah, maybe you're right that we'll see 48 million infected after the "307 months" you claimed...which, BTW, is over 25 years. Today's high school & college students will start expecting their first grandchildren by that time. But I strongly doubt you'll see those kind of transmission numbers over any kind of short-term with COVID-19...unless, of course, they find out that a ton of people have already had it, got over it, & didn't even realize it because they either had no symptoms whatsoever or just thought they had a mild cold. And if that's the case, that means the actual death rate would end up being much, much, much lower than it currently looks to be.

We haven't even hit 1 million infected worldwide, so you're pulling numbers out of a body orifice here.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0310-sitrep-50-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=55e904fb_2: as of YESTERDAY, only a total of 113,702 people infected worldwide, with just under 81,000 of those in China. That's less than 1/200th of a percent infected in China, & about 3/2000th of a percent infected worldwide. It's also a far cry from 48 million infected (which would be about 6-7% of the world population).

So, yeah, maybe you're right that we'll see 48 million infected after the "307 months" you claimed...which, BTW, is over 25 years. Today's high school & college students will start expecting their first grandchildren by that time. But I strongly doubt you'll see those kind of transmission numbers over any kind of short-term with COVID-19...unless, of course, they find out that a ton of people have already had it, got over it, & didn't even realize it because they either had no symptoms whatsoever or just thought they had a mild cold. And if that's the case, that means the actual death rate would end up being much, much, much lower than it currently looks to be.
3-7 months from today. Was a typo.

I'm pulling it from a respected expert on diseases. Read what I wrote, and I'll read what you wrote, and in about 15 days, we're expected to see an outrageous number. See you then.

Another over-reaction.

better to overreact and prepare than to just brush it off .... If your doctor says don't worry that's when you can not worry, leave it to the professionals to asses.

3-7 months from today. Was a typo.

I'm pulling it from a respected expert on diseases. Read what I wrote, and I'll read what you wrote, and in about 15 days, we're expected to see an outrageous number. See you then.

I not only pulled my data from the official World Health Organization numbers, I provided links to the data. I provided links, so now it's time for you to put up or shut up...& I'm fairly certain that neither will happen.

better to overreact and prepare than to just brush it off .... If your doctor says don't worry that's when you can not worry, leave it to the professionals to asses.
I saw my doctor for a physical last week. She said don't worry about it, it's being blown way out of proportion. Just saying.

Another over-reaction.
Actually it's more like 93%, the death rate is a reason for worry. Still, simple precautions are all that's needed to prevent the spread this virus. It's hardly a reason for the over-reactions that are being witnessed.

All of these events being canceled are little more than needless paranoia. Very disturbing to say the least.

Last edited:
Actually it's more like 93%, the death rate is a reason for worry. Still, simple precautions are all that's needed to prevent the spread this virus. It's hardly a reason for the over-reactions that are being witnessed.

All of these events being canceled are little more than needless paranoia. Very disturbing to say the least.
Nothing is going to prevent the spread, its going to happen, it just needs to run its course. It's not nearly as deadly as the Flu or some other things folks get, its just new. Again I am just another dude in the society, but our culture is very pussified, entitled and easily offended, this is all being blown out of proportion, but governing bodies are doing what they need to do, for many reasons.

Back