EA confirms Dead Space remake on next-gen consoles and PC

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Highly anticipated: It seems game studios are more and more reviving old franchises, but most I can take or leave. Resident Evil 2 Remake? Meh. Good, but not so much as to compel me to shell out for the RE3 remake, and I'm a zombie game fanatic. Now remake something like Dead Space, and you've got my attention. Wait. What was that about a DS remake?

On Thursday, EA confirmed that it is working on the rumored remake of beloved survival horror classic Dead Space. The short teaser (below) shows a only a glimpse of game engine footage, but it looks great. Motive Studios heads up development and is rebuilding the game "from the ground up" using EA's Frostbite Engine.

Dead Space will only be available on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC. Isolating it to the higher-end hardware should hopefully avoid the messes encountered recently by studios trying to develop next- and last-generation versions of their game simultaneously. CD Projekt Red's very successful failure Cyberpunk 2077 is the most notable recent example of a studio fumbling the ball while developing on multiple platforms.

It's been 13 years since the first Dead Space was released and eight years since the last game in the series, which launched to a lukewarm reception. The choice to rerelease the fan-favorite comes during a time when remakes are en vogue. We recently saw the revival of Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3. The Last of Us is also reportedly getting a fresh coat of paint (again) for next-gen consoles.

EA hasn't set a release date for the Dead Space remake, but I, for one, can't wait to revisit the toe-curling adventure. It is one of the best thrill rides out there, which is why we placed it front-and-center in our 10+ Games Guaranteed to Spike Your Adrenaline feature.

Permalink to story.

This shows their incapability of producing something new worthy of playing so they revert. No one should celebrate this.

Yeah I would have to agree. I saw the news from a Horror game Youtuber I watch and my first reaction was 'Meh...'. All three Dead Space games hold up graphically even today so they really should not be a candidate for a Remake - even with additional content. It just isn't required.

I will add that possibly because of the time that has passed since the release of Dead Space 3, maybe this is a tester for EA to see if there is a market for a potential Dead Space 4 project if enough newer gamers who did not play the original until much later - if they ever did - are actually enthusiastic for another sequel.

But then again this is EA so it could literally just be a quick cash grab on a well loved game/franchise.

I couldn't get myself to play Dead Space games - the camera position was just too off putting for me. Right behind, at shoulder level. Your character takes up 1/4 of the screen space, it just bugged me too much to play the game. I just want to kick him in the back of the knees and drop him to the ground so I can see in front of him.

This shows their incapability of producing something new worthy of playing so they revert. No one should celebrate this.
While I'm inclined to agree, I am so sickened in general of the quality of games put out in recent years that I'd rather play remakes or HD versions of games I once loved

Yeah I would have to agree. I saw the news from a Horror game Youtuber I watch and my first reaction was 'Meh...'. All three Dead Space games hold up graphically even today so they really should not be a candidate for a Remake - even with additional content. It just isn't required.

I will add that possibly because of the time that has passed since the release of Dead Space 3, maybe this is a tester for EA to see if there is a market for a potential Dead Space 4 project if enough newer gamers who did not play the original until much later - if they ever did - are actually enthusiastic for another sequel.

But then again this is EA so it could literally just be a quick cash grab on a well loved game/franchise.
I agree in that it wasn't even the graphical fidelity that made Dead Space a great game. A new coat of paint is not going to change things. However, the reason that I'm kinda stoked about it is that I have not played it since the PS3 days. It was never ported to the PS4 and I don't think it's even a PS Now selection. So I would love to play it again without having to pull out, dust off, and hook up my PS3.

And I think you might be right. There were rumors that EA was planning a Dead Space 4 but that it got shelved in favor of doing the remake. So it very well may be a test to see how the market feels about a new Dead Space game. After all, it's cheaper to port the old game and see if it does well before starting a very expensive project hoping it does well.

" during a time when remakes are en vogue" Went aren't remakes en vogue?

I enjoyed Deadspace 1 and 2. 3 not so much.

Don't know what the remake will be but if it isn't "new" I am not buying the same song again in a different format

And they will probably charge $70 / £65 for us to play this like they did with Demons Souls, because the 'cost of development on next gen consoles is so much higher' even though it will essentially be nothing more than a 4K texture pack and a new lighting model...

I agree in that it wasn't even the graphical fidelity that made Dead Space a great game. A new coat of paint is not going to change things. However, the reason that I'm kinda stoked about it is that I have not played it since the PS3 days. It was never ported to the PS4 and I don't think it's even a PS Now selection. So I would love to play it again without having to pull out, dust off, and hook up my PS3.

And I think you might be right. There were rumors that EA was planning a Dead Space 4 but that it got shelved in favor of doing the remake. So it very well may be a test to see how the market feels about a new Dead Space game. After all, it's cheaper to port the old game and see if it does well before starting a very expensive project hoping it does well.
You could get it on Steam for cheap (under $10) if you wanted to play through it again (plug in your PS4 controller). Should run well on very modest hardware.

And you'll need a next-gen console to play this remake anyways (which I think is actually a good call)...

Last edited:
Oh, I wasn't implying otherwise. I'm more or less suggesting if you don't have (or want) next gen, you can easily get the original experience for cheap now.
Yeah. And it is currently marked down 75% on Steam. For $5, it is definitely worth a pickup regardless of whether you want a next-gen remake or not.

Back