EA responds to Battlefield V beta chat filter that censors "white man," DLC," and "lag"

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Many people avoid multiplayer games solely because of the toxicity that comes from other players. With Battlefield V, a chat filter is in place to hide obscenities, but the system is censoring some very non-offensive words and phrases, including “white man,” “DLC,” “titanfall,” and “lag.”

The beta of Battlefield V, a game famously used to show off the real-time ray tracing abilities of Nvidia’s new RTX 20 series GPUs, includes the same kind of chat filter found on many online forums. But it appears a little overeager when it comes to censoring words.

Blocking “white man” is particularly strange, especially as terms such as “black man” and "asian man" are allowed. And for a game set during World War II, not allowing people to type the word “Nazi” is just bizarre. “Defend” is also banned, as are “DLC” and “lag.”

So, why the weird censorship? According to EA Community Manager Jeff Braddock, it’s simply because the filter is a “work in progress” that’s censoring words that aren’t profanity or shouldn’t be blocked. EA/Dice says it will be listening to user feedback and tweaking the sensitivity of the filter to improve its usage “without censoring relevant conversation.” Hopefully, the system will work a lot better by the time the full game launches.

“Healthy discussion is what drives improvement in our games, and we’d never want to impede that,” writes Braddock.

The Battlefield V beta ends tomorrow. Check out our feature to discover benchmarks using a wide range of GPUs. It also shows that both AMD and Nvidia cards suffer major stuttering when using DX12 with the beta.

Permalink to story.

It's a terrible game, it's not just the censoring, I've played it loads over the weekend, it's terrible, I know at least 6 people who've refunded their pre-orders.

It's just CoD with less ammo and some planes and tanks tacked on. It's not Battlefield anymore.

Edit: I'd like to add the Graphics are really nice, it runs well and the Game Engine / 3D Graphics / Animation team should be commended. Everyone else at Dice can get bent*, I cannot believe how bad the UI is, I cannot believe they thought this Beta was a good thing to release to generate hype. It's done the complete opposite.

*Haven't tried but I assume the word "bent" is filtered in game...

Last edited:
Played Beta, didn't have any stuttering issues on my AMD Fury.

Same here, no drops, no stutter.
My spec is:
8700K (non-OCed) with 32GB RAM and 1080Ti in 1440p with VSync at 60hz (Dell U2715H)
Also I've turned off soft particles, motion blur, lens flare... every annoying graphical feature but everything else was on Ultra.
Also I've just did the windows 10 latest cumulative update with the latest Nvidia driver 399.07 before started to play (BTW 399.24 version has been released today)

I'm not sure if it's related to these options under Advanced:
- Future Frame Rendering (this can smooth or make it worse if your GPU is not powerful enough)
- Resolution Scale (default is 100% but 200% means better picture and less FPS)
- GPU memory restriction (shouldn't be turned on with GTX 1060 6GB or above at 1080p or 1440p)
- Framerate Limiter (should set to 200 with GTX 1060 or above even with VSync at 1080p or 1440p)

Also I've turned off these in Basic (basic settings for me in every multiplayer game if available):
- Motion Blur
- Chromatic Aberration
- Film Grain
- Vignette
- Lens Distortion

Last one:
It is worth to lower graphics settings in order to get advantage (and get crying babies call out you in chat) in every BF Game. Specially this one with more options.

Last edited:
Last one:
It is worth to lower graphics settings in order to get advantage (and get crying babies call out you in chat) in every BF Game. Specially this one with more options.
It's impossible to get cry babies in BFV I'm afraid, half the English dictionary has been censored.

This so stupid. I dont understand why developers (not just EA) censor language like this. It's an M rated game ,meaning it's for adults, where you go around killing people in a war. And it's filled with blood and cussing.

The "Nazi" censor is the most baffling one. It's like they're completely oblivious to who was the main Axis faction was in this war.

EA job interview....

Employer: "Did you ever take history class?"
Applicant: "No"
Employer: "Welcome aboard!"

Yeah....if anyone believes this "work in progress" blocking or censoring these words is a coincidence, you'd be naive. I think it was 100% intentional on the behalf of DICE/EA. Add that to a beta which is a bad omen of what's to come with Battlefield V. There isn't enough Ray Tracing that can save this blazing dumpster fire of a game. DICE has castrated what Battlefield was as a franchise and taken out what made Battlefield the game it was. I was done on buying it after the "uneducated" and "If you don't like it, don't buy it remark to begin with. However,I figured I'd go ahead and give it a try at a friend of mine's house on his Origin account. There is no hope of me ever buying BF V from G2A or Kinguin for $15 if this is the best DICE can do with Battlefield nowadays. To me the game felt like a mixture of playing Call Of Duty multiplayer and Battlefront II (which is still a mess!) The weapon upgrading is garbage just as it is in Battlefront II and gameplay is just running around shooting and thats about it. No tactics, Tanks, nothing really. The game feels far from finished and should be delayed much longer if this is the best game DICE has to offer. That is, if its the best they have to offer what's left of the core Battlefield players and the casual players who are going to buy this mess. This is by far the worst Battlefield game I've ever played and Battlefield 1 was pretty damn close for that title but atleast it played better than V. Hey DICE, maybe stop worrying about all the SJW and PC garbage as well as marketing Battlefield to a crowd who doesn't even play Battlefield games or even plan on buying them, and focus on quality game development instead of this pathetic garbage, yes? It feels like they've taken Battlefront II and reskinned it with the Battlefield look. Pathetic.Battlefield V; $9.99 GameStop bargain bin in less than a year right here folks.

I have discovered this disgusting censoring on my own. I started playing on German side and wanted to great my team with "HELLOW FELLOW NAZIES" well, I couldn't :-(

Who wants to play yet another WW-II game? It's so freaking boring. I'm living in the year 2018. Sod off with the WW-I and WW-II themes already. I don't want to shoot Germans. I want to shoot ISIS. And whoever is financing them. Apparently, Turkish president Erdogan and Saudi royal family. So let us shoot a bunch of Saudi princes, Turkish president Erdogan, their bodyguards and anyone loyal to them. And ISIS of course. Because nowadays they are the villains. It's the freaking 2018. Let go the second world war.

And they think filtering words will minimize toxicity. The only way to minimize toxicity is to remove chat completely. People will find a way to get their point across. And in some ways will do it without chat.

By now you should have learned not to buy anything from EA. They constatly **** everything up and despite it people still buy their garbage and later complain how they were dissapointed. Like, that is the definition of insanity. Voting with your wallet still isn't a thing.

Who wants to play yet another WW-II game? It's so freaking boring. I'm living in the year 2018. Sod off with the WW-I and WW-II themes already. I don't want to shoot Germans. I want to shoot ISIS. And whoever is financing them. Apparently, Turkish president Erdogan and Saudi royal family. So let us shoot a bunch of Saudi princes, Turkish president Erdogan, their bodyguards and anyone loyal to them. And ISIS of course. Because nowadays they are the villains. It's the freaking 2018. Let go the second world war.
Have you not played all those cod and btf about terrorists before they started looking back to ww1 and ww2? There isn't much choice really, go to the future where competition is tight with so many other games to beat. They could stay where they were then making more terrorist games of which I played many like Cod Modern warfare and battlefield bc or go back again. Personally, I like their choice even though btf5 beta isn't something I like. But I wouldn't wanna play btf about future or more games about current time like they did with battlefield bc 3 and 4.

"Healthy discussion is what drives improvement in our games, and we’d never want to impede that,” writes Braddock."

Why do they ignore peoples opinions and tell them not to buy the game if they don't agree with them? SJW was never about discussing about anything, it's a terrorist organization made purely to destroy male fun. And didn't they just have another ama and didn't answer the most asked question? Maybe actually discuss instead of just claiming so.

Battlefield started to die slowly just after the birth of bf1, first it's overpriced skins, then an unwelcome obsession with war women. Now you can't have free speach. Lol I will never buy bf V these goofs ruined the reasons people play this game.

Battlefield started to die slowly just after the birth of bf1, first it's overpriced skins, then an unwelcome obsession with war women. Now you can't have free speach. Lol I will never buy bf V these goofs ruined the reasons people play this game.
The thing I disliked the most in btf 5 was that both maps I played were pretty much cod infrantry style. I was unpleasantly surprised by that. It is true that right now the most popular maps in btf4 are infrantry maps. But I had the most fun in btf4 riding a tank. Oh the memories, coldmud railway, silkroad! I wont those feelings back because it was amazing.

Back