Elon Musk and Donald Trump fight over Twitter deal, presidential age limits

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Not only is Elon Musk dealing with a lawsuit from Twitter that could force him to buy the platform, but he's also engaged in a war of words with Donald Trump. The Tesla boss tweeted that Trump should "hang up his hat" and is too old to run for office again in 2024. A response to the former president calling Musk a "bulls**t artist" who would have "begged" him for government subsidies.

Trump started the spat on Saturday at a campaign rally when he called Musk a BS artist for claiming that he had never voted Republican until this June. "He told me he voted for me," Trump said. He also called the Twitter acquisition contract "rotten."

On the same day we heard Twitter is suing Musk for walking away from the deal, the world's richest man responded to Trump. "I don't hate the man, but it's time for Trump to hang up his hat & sail into the sunset," Musk tweeted.

"Also, I think the legal maximum age for start of Presidential term should be 69," Musk added. If Trump does run, he would be 78 at the time of the election and, if he wins, 82 by the end of his second term as president.

Trump continued the tirade on his own social media app, Truth Social. "When Elon Musk came to the White House asking me for help on all of his many subsidized projects, whether it's electric cars that don't drive long enough, driverless cars that crash, or rocketships to nowhere, without which subsidies he'd be worthless and tell me how he was a big Trump fan and Republican, I could have said, "drop to your knees and beg," and he would have done it," he wrote.

"Now Elon should focus on getting himself out of the Twitter mess because he could owe $44 billion for something that's perhaps worthless," Trump's post continued. "Also, lots of competition for electric cars!"

Musk replied with a tweet that read "Lmaooo" along with a GIF of the Grampa Simpson 'old man yells at cloud' meme.

The two men have clashed before; Musk previously said he was thinking about supporting Florida governor Ron DeSantis as the Republican candidate in the next presidential election, and he withdrew from the Presidential Advisory Forum in 2017 in protest over Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris agreement. However, Musk did say he would allow Trump back onto Twitter if he took over, overturning the permanent suspension handed down last year.

Permalink to story.

I'm not sure what to make of Elon anymore. I recently watched a short 2 part series on Youtube debunking his history and accomplishments. Maybe it twisted facts though, if anyone cares to watch it and let me know their take, I'd be interested.

Debunking Elon Musk part 1:
Debunking Elon Musk part 2:

Trump I couldn't care less about. He's going to be in court in 2024. Elon is the one I do not understand. His recent embrace of the rights politics is confusing to me as it is primarily people on the left who want "greener" things like EV's and renewable energy. I know many who are trying to find EV's right now who are now NOT looking at Tesla's purely due to Elon's political change. IMO bringing your personal politics into your business is a short fast trip to being in the red.

Trump I couldn't care less about. He's going to be in court in 2024. Elon is the one I do not understand. His recent embrace of the rights politics is confusing to me as it is primarily people on the left who want "greener" things like EV's and renewable energy. I know many who are trying to find EV's right now who are now NOT looking at Tesla's purely due to Elon's political change. IMO bringing your personal politics into your business is a short fast trip to being in the red.
It's not that the right does not want greener things, it's that you can't be a total ***** about getting there. Attacking oil and gas before the US is set up for the transition is just stupid.
As far as bringing politics into business...totally agree. I wish the news, corporations, Hollywood and game developers would do the same.
Personally I think he is embracing the right because the left has gone off the rails. Plus the direction of the economy isn't exactly in a good place and that is something most everyone cares about. Really you just have to watch the midterm elections and see that the vast majority agree with him. It comes down to common sense really.

Last edited:
Lower taxes, fewer workers rights. That's all it comes down to.
I don't care about Elon but thinking that he wants fewer workers rights is ridiculous. I don't think expecting people to go to work to ensure that his business is successful is asking too much.
If you're so entitled that going to work is asking too much then you have bigger issues.

I'm not sure what to make of Elon anymore. I recently watched a short 2 part series on Youtube debunking his history and accomplishments. Maybe it twisted facts though, if anyone cares to watch it and let me know their take, I'd be interested.
While nothing would surprise me (he's no angle I'm sure) I would be hesitant to believe any hit piece on him to be honest. People love to hate success these days especially since he embraced the Republican party.

I could give a sh*t about their inflated egos battling - they are each at the pinnacle of their respective pursuits and can surely find more productive ways to spend their energies for the good of this country.

Back