Elon Musk buys 9.2% of Twitter, complains about its free-speech stance

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Most of the---often controversial---things Elon Musk says comes from his Twitter account, but it seems he's not happy about the platform's stance toward "free speech." So what's the world's richest person to do? Buy a 9.2% stake in Twitter worth around $2.89 billion, sending the company's share price soaring.

A 13G filing released today shows that on March 14, Musk purchased 73,486,938 Twitter shares, which represents a 9.2% passive stake in the company, of which he is now the largest shareholder.

Interestingly, the news comes around one week after Musk tweeted out a poll to his 80 million+ followers asking, "Free speech is essential to a functioning democracy. Do you believe Twitter rigorously adheres to this principle?" The CEO wrote, "the consequences of this poll will be important" in a follow-up tweet.

A day later, Musk tweeted that Twitter's failure to adhere to free speech principles fundamentally undermines democracy. He also questioned whether a new platform was needed. All the tweets came after Musk decided to purchase his stake in the company.

Twitter shares have jumped more than 25% in premarket trading. Wedbush analyst Dan Ives told CNBC that "This eventually could lead to some sort of buyout."

"This makes sense given what Musk has at least been talking about, at least from a social media perspective," Ives added.

Musk has been up there with Donald Trump when it comes to getting into trouble for his controversial tweets. His "funding secured" post in 2018 that claimed he was considering taking Tesla private at $420 per share brought the wrath of the Securities and Exchange Commission and led to Tesla lawyers needing to pre-approve Musk's Tweets. He also faced a lawsuit for calling the rescuer of a soccer team in Thailand a "pedo guy." More recently, he used the platform to challenge Vladimir Putin to single combat to decide the future of Ukraine.

Permalink to story.

There's many of competitors that tried to do "Twitter, but free speech!" already. All of them were immediately overrun by Nazis so nobody but Nazis go there.

Not sure why Elon thinks his bid would turn out any different. Actually I don't think he cares, he just wants to be unchallenged (Most people like him crying about free speech actually only want to be unchallenged in their 'controversial' opinions and are never actually silenced in any meaningful way) and doesn't cares if it runs the entire thing into the ground because why would he? He doesn't lives in reality he's fully immerse in his fantasy world of magic tech.

Please, oh PLEASE let musk buy out twitter. The salt would be glorious ans thousands of mentally fragile adult babies were forced to deal with the most lethal threat of them all; naughty opinions and disagreements.
There's many of competitors that tried to do "Twitter, but free speech!" already. All of them were immediately overrun by Nazis so nobody but Nazis go there.
every alternative was immeidately labeled as a "nazi" platform, so only the "nazis" go there.

FTFY. No alt platform is given a chance to do anything before immediately being railroaded by the legacy media and twatter/facebook, who go out of their way to protect chomos based on their political leanings.

Speaking of which, I wonder how Truth Social has been doing. It's gotten kinda quiet after the initial humdrum.
;)

The big question is, if he buys them out, what will be HIS policy on political ads and other disruptive material? I have little doubt he will shut down anyone that takes a swipe at him or any of his companies .... what else?

I am absolutely certain there will be less freedom of speech if he buys it.
Why?
He's not your typical left wing communist trying to stop people from speaking the truth.
Twitter has been banning people for absolutely anything that leans to the right. I mean everything is "hate speech". Screw twitter, YouTube, Facebook and the like. All of them are ridiculous political correctness police.

Not sure why Elon thinks his bid would turn out any different. Actually I don't think he cares, he just wants to be unchallenged (Most people like him crying about free speech actually only want to be unchallenged in their 'controversial' opinions and are never actually silenced in any meaningful way) and doesn't cares if it runs the entire thing into the ground because why would he? He doesn't lives in reality he's fully immerse in his fantasy world of magic tech.

Most people like you don't want their opinions challenged, and when "fellow travellers" working in the media industry drown out or suppress the speech of those with opposing views then the result is almost a complete disconnect between people's perception of reality and reality.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/pol...ricans-misestimate-small-subgroups-population

That is what happens when the only views not punished in the USA is that of Left wing morons who label anyone to the Right of them a "NAZI". But we both know the side of the aisle that projects its authoritarian streak on to others, and it's predominately the Left. Fascism, Nazism, Marxism, Progressivism, Communism. It's the same sh*t.

Most people like you don't want their opinions challenged, and when "fellow travellers" working in the media industry drown out or suppress the speech of those with opposing views then the result is almost a complete disconnect between people's perception of reality and reality.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/pol...ricans-misestimate-small-subgroups-population

That is what happens when the only views not punished in the USA is that of Left wing morons who label anyone to the Right of them a "NAZI". But we both know the side of the aisle that projects its authoritarian streak on to others, and it's predominately the Left. Fascism, Nazism, Marxism, Progressivism, Communism. It's the same sh*t.
So the link you posted simply says that people don't know the true % of minorities... how does that mesh with your point?

So, we shouldn't be saying it's OK to be gay or Muslim or Jewish etc... because there are less of them in America than you think?

This is hilarious!!

The butt-hurt rightist crowd is not sure whether to hate Musk or bend over for him!!

Time to get the pop-corn.

All the 'woke' employees will go nut !!!
Yes, everything and everyone you don't like or disagree with now gets labeled 'woke'. Reminds me back when the media started using the phrase 'fake news' to refer to actual fake news, only to be immediately co-opted by Trump and his cohorts to mean anything they don't like is fake news.

Most people like you don't want their opinions challenged
You mean like alternative facts and truth adjacent comments? Those are just fancy ways of saying LIES. Lying constantly 24/7 about everything that makes YOU or your political party look bad and calling it 'free speech' has nothing to do with getting your opinions challenged, it's just lying.

Love how you got all the right wing media Fox News nonsense buzzwords down to a pat. This is what a steady diet of propaganda and misinformation looks like folks!

Who is stopping you from speaking the truth? And by speaking the truth I mean lying your *** off to try and make your racists political party look good. You people are always whining about free speech this and free speech that whenever someone dares to call you out on your BS. You don't want free speech, you just want to be able to lie non-stop with impunity so you can spread your propaganda.
And here we go...
You have determined that I'm a liar and racist because....well I'm not sure other than you're likely crazy as $&%#.
All you people do is the same old finger pointing bs screaming about how everyone is such a bigot. I don't have a party by the way nor would I try to make any party look good. No idea what you're even talking about.
For the record twitter has been banning conservatives for saying thing like they believe there are only two genders. During the last election YouTube was banning conservatives who were talking about the Hunter Biden laptop sandal and now we know that it's true. That is not free speech...that's controlling the narrative.
When it comes to free speech I only want everyone to have the opportunity to speak their mind. Conservative or liberal no one should be able to be shut down just because of political leanings.
And what propaganda are you even talking about? I'm no Trump fan but it's funny how everything is propaganda yet 5 years or fake Russian collusion from the media and I never heard any complaints about that. Also I didn't see Twitter or YouTube banning anyone for talking it. Very interesting....
Please take your meds....

Last edited:
Yes, everything and everyone you don't like or disagree with now gets labeled 'woke'. Reminds me back when the media started using the phrase 'fake news' to refer to actual fake news, only to be immediately co-opted by Trump and his cohorts to mean anything they don't like is fake news.
Oh, I think you are wrong. There are many Democrats are calling out the 'woke' left as well.

Oh, I think you are wrong. There are many Democrats are calling out the 'woke' left as well.
Bill Maher for example. He's a life long liberal who hasn't fallen into the extreme category. I don't always agree with him but I sure respect that he's willing to speak his mind and not back down.

Right, because the platform that wouldn't allow news about Hunter Biden's laptop is definitely a free speech platform. You know the Russian disinformation that both the NYT and WAPO are now walking back and admitting was 100% legit?
They sure didn't have any issues with years of fake Russian collusion. But hey, there was an election to sway...I get it.
The hypocrisy is mind-blowing.

Back