Elon Musk confirms he confronted Bill Gates about shorting Tesla stock

Tudor Cibean

Staff
TL;DR: In a series of leaked texts, Elon Musk apparently rejected having philanthropic talks with fellow billionaire Bill Gates because of the latter's half-billion-dollar short position on Tesla. Musk confirmed the authenticity of these texts, but claimed he didn't leak them himself.

On Friday, Elon Musk confirmed that he confronted Bill Gates about shorting Tesla stock. The leaked screenshots of texts between the two billionaires were shared on Twitter, asking Musk if they were genuine.

In these screenshots, the Tesla CEO openly asked Gates if he still held a $500 million short position against Tesla. Gates admitted that he hadn't closed it out, adding that he would like to discuss philanthropic possibilities.

Musk quickly turned down this request, claiming that he can't take Gates' view of climate change seriously while he's holding a short position against Tesla. According to him, the company was doing the most to solve climate change.

Short selling typically means that an investor or trader sells stocks they've borrowed, intending to buy them back later at a lower price. By doing this, they're essentially betting that the asset's value will go down.

Musk claimed that the screenshots were real, although he denied leaking them himself. It's unknown when this exchange took place, although it's worth noting that Musk first talked about Bill Gates shorting Tesla stock over a year ago on the Joe Rogan podcast.

Elon Musk later tweeted a meme intended to mock Gates.

The two billionaires have openly feuded in the past, disagreeing about topics such as Covid-19, colonizing Mars, and cryptocurrencies. Musk also tweeted in 2020 that his conversations with Gates have been underwhelming, so it's clear the two aren't on best terms.

Permalink to story.

Dimitriid

I can't tell you who I hate most, Musk or Gates, but I *can* tell you that a 100% accurate rule to see who cares *the least* about climate change is their bank account and these 2 "gentleman"* are at the top of the list (*I use the term gentleman as a substitute of much stronger language that the site absolutely wouldn't let you see)

To them climate change is just a negotiation position to generate *more* wealth I.e. Musk could literally almost end emissions by making all of the patents and tech he holds 100% available for anyone to use and intentionally crashing all of his fortune (Which is mostly speculative based on the *potential* Tesla has to be profitable, not any *actual* profit or products delivered since those are painfully slow and super expensive and sometimes not even at all feasible in reality like the hyperloop)

If you think Gates is any better with his "Philanthropy" think again: We almost had one of the first and consistently effective covid vaccines be 100% freely available to everyone and could have ended the pandemic significantly faster and arguably even prevented the later variants from even existing since a quick and massive worldwide vaccination program would have meant there wasn't enough of a chance for the virus to keep mutating. Bill Gates directly intervened to convince the scientists that were going to just give away the vaccine for free to NOT do that at all, patent it and so and as we're seeing today, is responsible for MILLIONS OF DEATHS by enforcing his 'Philanthropy' which really only serves to glorify himself and the incomprehensible wealthy like him as humanitarian god figures bestowing billions to help the world but not in any way that can actually solve issues but in a way that makes sure that any help is always conditioned to the whims and desires of the ruling class, above all of them the assurance that they remain the rulers and that you know and admire him personally as such.

And yes I think both of them are sincere: they're so far removed from reality that they honestly believe they're living gods and incapable of error and that their actions are the only way forward when in reality they're vampiric leeches that built their power on the backs of the rest of the world and are happy to literally let the entire world die before they consider advocating for something that might actually give us a fighting chance: Complete and immediate revocation of Capitalism and the profit motive to stop emissions dead on it's track no matter how many untold billions the rich lose in the proceeds.

yRaz

I can't tell you who I hate most, Musk or Gates, but I *can* tell you that a 100% accurate rule to see who cares *the least* about climate change is their bank account and these 2 "gentleman"* are at the top of the list (*I use the term gentleman as a substitute of much stronger language that the site absolutely wouldn't let you see)

To them climate change is just a negotiation position to generate *more* wealth I.e. Musk could literally almost end emissions by making all of the patents and tech he holds 100% available for anyone to use and intentionally crashing all of his fortune (Which is mostly speculative based on the *potential* Tesla has to be profitable, not any *actual* profit or products delivered since those are painfully slow and super expensive and sometimes not even at all feasible in reality like the hyperloop)

If you think Gates is any better with his "Philanthropy" think again: We almost had one of the first and consistently effective covid vaccines be 100% freely available to everyone and could have ended the pandemic significantly faster and arguably even prevented the later variants from even existing since a quick and massive worldwide vaccination program would have meant there wasn't enough of a chance for the virus to keep mutating. Bill Gates directly intervened to convince the scientists that were going to just give away the vaccine for free to NOT do that at all, patent it and so and as we're seeing today, is responsible for MILLIONS OF DEATHS by enforcing his 'Philanthropy' which really only serves to glorify himself and the incomprehensible wealthy like him as humanitarian god figures bestowing billions to help the world but not in any way that can actually solve issues but in a way that makes sure that any help is always conditioned to the whims and desires of the ruling class, above all of them the assurance that they remain the rulers and that you know and admire him personally as such.

And yes I think both of them are sincere: they're so far removed from reality that they honestly believe they're living gods and incapable of error and that their actions are the only way forward when in reality they're vampiric leeches that built their power on the backs of the rest of the world and are happy to literally let the entire world die before they consider advocating for something that might actually give us a fighting chance: Complete and immediate revocation of Capitalism and the profit motive to stop emissions dead on it's track no matter how many untold billions the rich lose in the proceeds.
dude, can you consolidate your thoughts? All of your posts read like a text from an angry ex-girlfriend. Your post literally has more words in it than the article.

sreams

I can't tell you who I hate most, Musk or Gates, but I *can* tell you that a 100% accurate rule to see who cares *the least* about climate change is their bank account...

Neither of these guys have anywhere near as much money in "their bank accounts" as you seem to think they do. Making big change requires ownership/control of the assets that can make those changes.

Dimitriid

Neither of these guys have anywhere near as much money in "their bank accounts" as you seem to think they do. Making big change requires ownership/control of the assets that can make those changes.
Functionally there is no difference since they command a lot of power which is the *only* reason you'd want as much money once you're past a couple hundred million to buy mansions, yachts and any luxury item you could ever want.

Also maybe you missed my acknowledgement of this but look up:

Which is mostly speculative based on the *potential* Tesla has to be profitable, not any *actual* profit or products delivered since those are painfully slow and super expensive and sometimes not even at all feasible in reality like the hyperloop

sreams

Functionally there is no difference since they command a lot of power which is the *only* reason you'd want as much money once you're past a couple hundred million to buy mansions, yachts and any luxury item you could ever want.

Also maybe you missed my acknowledgement of this but look up:

And yet, somehow, Elon Musk has no yachts or mansions.

How do you propose someone goes about making big changes in the world with no money and no power? Are you going to fight big oil with a stick?

Dimitriid

And yet, somehow, Elon Musk has no yachts or mansions.

How do you propose someone goes about making big changes in the world with no money and no power? Are you going to fight big oil with a stick?

You really think he has no power? Then we have nothing to talk about, ever.

Plutoisaplanet

Musk could literally almost end emissions by making all of the patents and tech he holds 100% available for anyone to use and intentionally crashing all of his fortune
I agree that making that technology available wouldn’t crash his fortune (which kinda has happened), but I disagree that it would come anywhere close to ending emissions. As far as I know, scarcity is the reason everyone can’t flip the switch to electric vehicles, down to the raw materials. There’s high-grade lithium and nickel on the battery side, and then the gross production of cars that nowhere near matches up with how many cars are in-use/on roads today. Considering there are 80 million new cars produced a year and probably over a billion cars in use, that alone would take over ten years to offset existing cars. Also since nickel and lithium prices have increased despite record production, clearly automakers are making use of all available resources.

AlaskaGuy

"Tesla the company doing most to solve climate change"
LOL. Tesla sold CO2 credits so other companies could keep emitting more CO2 than otherwise allowed. Tesla did the most to NOT solve climate change, and Tesla profited the most from that.
Tesla selling C02 credits has nothing to do with Tesla producing more carbon.

ZedRM

This should be a surprise to no one. Bill is known for being a jerk and mucking about in business dealings just for giggles.

kapital98

You could just you know, not read them: I suggest you use the ignore feature to ignore me and you won't even know I'm posting anything at all.

If your replies are short then you'll get the response, "What about X?!?! Huh! Yeah, disproves your point".

If your replies are long you get what's mentioned above.

For the most part, they are a happy medium. Keep at it :)

Freddie159

If Musk didn't want people shorting Twitter stock then he shouldn't have made his plan to take over Twitter public for X amount of dollars when the price was below that!! Musk has no one to blame except himself and I hope Gates make a SHIPLOAD of money off of it!!! Of course along with Gaes are literally hundreds of thousands of other investors and Companys!!

AlaskaGuy

If Musk didn't want people shorting Twitter stock then he shouldn't have made his plan to take over Twitter public for X amount of dollars when the price was below that!! Musk has no one to blame except himself and I hope Gates make a SHIPLOAD of money off of it!!! Of course along with Gaes are literally hundreds of thousands of other investors and Companys!!
Gates could take all that money and purchase his own Epstein Island instead of relying on others to provide him with minors.