Elon Musk criticised for tweet comparing Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau to Hitler

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Elon Musk is a lot of things: the world’s richest person, CEO of several companies, self-proclaimed edge-lord. He lived up to that last description yesterday by posting a tweet that made a satirical comparison between Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau and Adolf Hitler, drawing criticism from the Jewish community.

Musk was replying to a tweet from crypto news publication Coindesk about Trudeau ordering Canadian authorities not to interact with 34 different crypto addresses tied to the country’s ongoing trucker protests.

Those involved in the protests are objecting to a requirement that truckers be vaccinated against Covid-19 to cross the border. They have camped out at the Canadian capital and are blocking border crossings, leading to Trudeau using Canada’s Emergencies Act to halt funding for the protestors.

The Tesla boss posted a meme that showed the words “Stop comparing me to Justin Trudeau” above an image of Adolf Hitler and “I had a budget” underneath.

Musk soon deleted the tweet, but not before it drew a response from the Auschwitz-Birkenau museum, located on the site of a former Nazi concentration camp. It called Musk’s use of the image “sad and disturbing.”

Time's Person of the Year for 2021 followed up with another tweet that suggested his followers read The Wages of Destruction, which details the economic history of Nazi Germany.

As noted by Gizmodo, Musk moved from his birthplace of South Africa to Canada in 1988 at the age of 19 to avoid military service. He attended Queen’s University in Ontario, transferring to the University of Pennsylvania just a couple of years later. The SpaceX CEO holds both Canadian and US citizenship.

Musk is no stranger to controversy, of course. His tweet calling the rescuer of a soccer team in Thailand a “pedo guy” resulted in a lawsuit, which Musk won, and he was a vocal critic of the pandemic lockdowns, referring to them as “fascist.” There was also his tweet about taking Tesla private in 2019 that incurred the wrath of the SEC.

Permalink to story.

I just don't get Musk in so many ways, he is so up his on backside his mouth talks twice.

Like him saying the SEC investigation is a freedom of speech issue, it just isn't its market manipulation concerns.

He does one or two things great, but social interactions aren't one of them. He does have Aspergers so there is that.

This is getting oddly specific: I feel like Musk is actually *timing* his stock crashes to specifically happen on Friday. This is a Thursday of course but it will gain momentum and become a "news story" mostly throughout Friday, just in time for Tesla and other of his interests to start plummeting in stock value.

Comparing Trump to Hitler for 4 years, no problem. Comparing Trudeau to Hitler who is censoring speech, freezing bank accounts, seizing crypto from civil disobedient protesters, and openly violating the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and invoking the Emergencies Act (previously the War Measures Act) that's problematic, got it. To be fair, the comparison should be Hitler of 1933, not Hitler of 1938, yet.

Comparing Trump to Hitler for 4 years, no problem. Comparing Trudeau to Hitler who is censoring speech, freezing bank accounts, seizing crypto from civil disobedient protesters, and openly violating the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and invoking the Emergencies Act (previously the War Measures Act) that's problematic, got it. To be fair, the comparison should be Hitler of 1933, not Hitler of 1938, yet.
Yep...the hypocrisy is absolutely insane.

IMO Musk hit the nail on the head.

Yep, but if nobody stands up and stop him, he will be soon to be Hitler of 1938.

Stop noticing things!!! Just believe what you're supposed to believe! /s. What a fricking joke. I'm not sure the average joe will ever realize what's actually happening.

Leave it to Musk to make an asinine and trollish comparison to deflect attention from the plight of peaceful protestors being Order 66'd by the Canadian government back to himself. With friends like him the truckers hardly need enemies.

Musky blowing air out his butt again and people still listen to the guy just because our society thinks money makes everything?

Comparing Trump to Trudeau is rich!!

One is a slum landlord, sleazy, morally bankrupt misogynistic racist humanoid.

The other is the prime minister of Canada .

Leave it to Musk to make an asinine and trollish comparison to deflect attention from the plight of peaceful protestors being Order 66'd by the Canadian government back to himself. With friends like him the truckers hardly need enemies.
Yup. Peaceful protestors shutting down a city.

He does have Aspergers so there is that.
"Asbergers", FWIW, was taken out of the DSM-5, and folded back into the general autism spectrum.

I found a PDF of said work, and I'm going to double check this, to make sure I'm not talking out of the same place musk does.

When you come right down to it, completely blocking trade between Canada and the US IS an act of war against both countries. And so, war powers were invoked.

Enough bullsh!t from the right wing here. This "peaceful protest" was just a bunch of knuckle dragging Neanderthals, whimpering and bellyaching about having to get a simple shot of vaccine.

I wish their parents had been anti-vaxxers, and refused the polio vaccine. Then I could walk by and spit on their iron lungs.

Many people confuse being an obstinate a**hole, with "exercising their right to individual freedom".

Glad we concur. They're being especially gracious too, by not engaging in routine, widespread looting and arson. Truly a model protest, the kind I'm sure the people of Kenosha would have vastly preferred.
If you call crapping in the streets and blocking other people's right to free travel, then yeah, this was a "real winner".

And BTW, please don't confuse with me a "far left lib". BLM is way overstepping itself in so many ways. As for Kenosha, peaceful protest is just that. IMO, they should have declared martial law, and shot looters and extremist vandals on sight.

And Kyle Rittenhouse should have gotten 20 years for being in a place he had no business being, with a gun he shouldn't have been able to obtain, much less carry..

Last edited:
Glad we concur. They're being especially gracious too, by not engaging in routine, widespread looting and arson. Truly a model protest, the kind I'm sure the people of Kenosha would have vastly preferred.
I guess I really should have added a /s to my post. Peaceful, IMO, is in no way what is happening there.

Granted, there may not be overt violence, which I do not support, but there is covert violence in that there is interference with the peaceful citizens of the city, and country. And like I said in the other thread we are engaged in, how does stopping shipments to places that require them to operate, and thus, again, interfering with the ability to support themselves of the peaceful people who work at those places constitute a peaceful protest? There are all kinds of levels of violence - even violence that does not outwardly appear as violence.

Back