Elon Musk reinstates Donald Trump's Twitter account following poll results

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? It's the start of a new week, which means Elon Musk has made another change at Twitter. In fairness to the world's richest person, this one is something he promised to do before gaining control of the platform: reinstate Donald Trump's account. However, Musk appeared to make his decision based on a (possibly bot-influenced) poll, and it's unclear whether the former president has any intention of returning.

It was back in May while he was still in the protracted process of purchasing Twitter when Musk said it was a "mistake" to ban Trump as it alienated a large part of the country, "... So I guess the answer is I would reverse the permaban."

Once he took control of Twitter, Musk said he would not be reinstating banned accounts until a content moderation council had been put in place, but it appears the Tesla boss decided to leave the decision down to Twitter's users.

Musk Tweeted a poll over the weekend asking if Trump should be reinstated. After just over 15 million votes, around 11% of Musk's total followers, the Yes result won by 51.8%. Musk followed up with a tweet that read: "Vox Populi, Vox Dei," Latin for "the voice of the people is the voice of God." This was despite claiming the poll had been attacked by bots, something he knows a lot about, having tried to get out of the Twitter deal by insisting bots/spam made up 20% or more accounts on the platform.

Trump was permanently banned from Twitter following the Capitol attack in January last year due to "the risk of further incitement of violence." Musk once said he didn't believe in permabans; unless they're for impersonating celebrities, apparently.

The @realDonaldTrump account is once again active, though there have been no tweets since it was reinstated, possibly because Trump's still busy with his own Truth Social platform and pledged not to return to Twitter even if his ban was overturned.

Trump and Musk got into a public spat over the Twitter deal earlier this year when the former called the latter a "bullshit artist" who would have "begged" Trump for government subsidies. Musk then called out Trump for being too old to run for president again. After Trump labeled Twitter "worthless," Musk Tweeted the Simpson's famous 'old man yells at cloud' meme.

Since taking over Twitter, Musk has also reinstated accounts belonging to Kanye West, The Babylon Bee, Andrew Tate, and Jordan Peterson.

Permalink to story.

1414584435minionsreactionyesgif2.gif

Come on Donnie! Democrats, most independents and many Republicans want the whole world to easily be able to hear your bullshit again!

Since taking over Twitter, Musk has also reinstated accounts belonging to Kanye West, The Babylon Bee, Andrew Tate, and Jordan Peterson.
Also Kathy Griffin was unbanned, the person this article was about:
Musk once said he didn't believe in permabans; unless they're for impersonating celebrities, apparently.
She just pulled a Donald Trump move and decided to remain on her new social media networks: https://twitter.com/kathygriffin

There are more piles of crap there than a stable, except for Babylon Bee. They are satire, and their Twitter articles were taken as hateful or dangerous.
I believe that twits were just embarrassed to admit a mistake, so kept them banned.

Musk is quickly relegating himself to obscurity playing the role of the fool fooling himself.
No, he's cleaning house at twitter and restoring free speach the democratic way. Musk couldn't be more American with his actions. The real fools are those who fail to understand this very simple point.

Last edited:
The hurt feelings are already starting. Sit back and enjoy the crying...

And he said he doesn't want back on Twitter but that will not stop the outrage lol.
I Really don't GAF since I'm not on twitter. I'll enjoy the crying because The Great Pumpkin will ignore Twitter - at least he says so assuming, of course, it is not another of his lies - or that he won't be able to stand the lack of attention since many out there are greeting his latest attempt to turn the US into a dictatorship with a resounding 🥱

I Really don't GAF since I'm not on twitter. I'll enjoy the crying because The Great Pumpkin will ignore Twitter - at least he says so assuming, of course, it is not another of his lies - or that he won't be able to stand the lack of attention since many out there are greeting his latest attempt to turn the US into a dictatorship with a resounding 🥱

LOL :joy:

No, he's cleaning house at twitter and restoring free speach the democratic way. Musk couldn't be more American with his action. The real fools are those who fail to understand this very simple point.
Uh Huh. He's restoring free speech - as long as your free speech does not represent an opinion against him. BTW - that's not "free speech" its Musk approved speech. There is a difference - just in case someone needs to explain it to you.

No, he's cleaning house at twitter and restoring free speach the democratic way. Musk couldn't be more American with his action. The real fools are those who fail to understand this very simple point.
Nope. He's trying to support his business. Trump's followers were in the millions, imagine that traffic back on Twitter. I love how people are always played and blindsided by idealisms, while it's simply a question of money.

Nope. He's trying to support his business. Trump's followers were in the millions, imagine that traffic back on Twitter. I love how people are always played and blindsided by idealisms, while it's simply a question of money.
I agree this is the most reasonable motive. But free speech begets better business. When a business cancels people, a growing number of people will stop using its service. It may be inconsequential for most businesses, but over the long term it's a bad idea.

As someone who's both a Republican and a supporter of Elon Musk, I actually think it's likely the poll was or became fixed (possibly as a response to concerns about bots voting). It started off with 83% in favor of reinstating his account and the second half of the poll flatlined at 52% regardless of millions of new votes coming in over the hours. In other words the whole move was a marketing stunt. With up to 13M responses it might've paid off, but it may've been a better idea to simply announce Trump was unbanned to prevent future trust issues if this leaked.

Uh Huh. He's restoring free speech - as long as your free speech does not represent an opinion against him. BTW - that's not "free speech" its Musk approved speech. There is a difference - just in case someone needs to explain it to you.

That's an outright lie. You really broke the BS meter with that one. There are screeds of tweets from people voicing their opinion against him. Go look. You've got eyes, don't you?

Here's my own tweet as an example.

"And yet you really are a self-important arsehole when you talk of carving up another country's land to appease a tyrant, and now handing Taiwan's sovereignty to China. Having a Tesla factory in China does explain why your tongue is firmly wedged up Xi Jinping's back passage."

Unsurprising to me I have not been banned or shadow banned as people can still reply to my tweets. Musk is doing a great job at Twitter removing the deadweight and reinstating accounts that never should have been blocked.

I mean...that's how this country has operated for its' entire existence no matter who was running what. we've always been able to technically "say" what we want but there's always been consquences...except for those times where certain people owned other people...you know....even still you had to watch what you said to other said owners.

Whatever your opinion on these guys is, this was a good move overall. There was never a good reason for banning Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back