Elon Musk slams Dogecoin co-creator for calling him a grifter, says 'my kids wrote better...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Elon Musk, who loves picking fights on Twitter and will (probably) soon own the platform, is involved in another spat. The target this time is Jackson Palmer, co-creator of Dogecoin, after he called the world's richest person a "grifter" who doesn't understand coding half as well as he claims.

The incident began with an interview Palmer gave to Australian news site Crikey that covered a wide range of topics. One of those was Musk, with whom Palmer said he has an "interesting past."

"I had written a bot, a script that would automatically detect if there was a cryptocurrency scam in your Twitter mentions and would automatically report them to the platform," he explained.

Musk contacted Palmer asking if he could have the script. According to Palmer, the interaction revealed that Musk wasn't as good at coding as he made out; he asked the Dogecoin co-creator, "How do I run this Python script?"

Palmer wasn't a fan of Musk after that encounter. "He's a grifter, he sells a vision in hopes that he can one day deliver what he's promising, but he doesn't know that. He's just really good at pretending he knows. That's very evident with the Tesla full-self-driving promise."

Palmer said that Musk's popularity is down to the fact that people love grifters and the idea that they might also become a billionaire one day. This is especially true when he interacts with other Twitter users.

Musk is no stranger to a Twitter war, of course. He responded to the article by claiming Palmer's script doesn't get rid of bots and that he should share it with the world "if it's so great." Palmer did share the code, four years ago on Github. The Tesla boss added that his kids wrote better code when they were 12, before finishing his rant by calling Palmer a "tool."

"I never said it was super complex, but this simple script definitely worked in catching and reporting the less sophisticated phishing accounts circa 2018," Palmer responded. "They've since evolved their tactics. I shared it with a lot of people, and it worked for them."

Musk continued to lay into Palmer, writing that he never actually wrote a single line of Dogecoin code. The other Dogecoin co-creator, Billy Markus, replied: "The people after us did exponentially more than either jackson or I did on the code base. I think I wrote like 20 lines of code and copied the rest."

Palmer created the payment system alongside Markus in 2013 as a joke based on the "doge" meme. He previously revealed his involvement with cryptocurrency ended back in 2015 and caused waves last year when he announced all crypto is a scam.

Musk has been involved in recent feuds with Bill Gates, who warned his fellow billionaire's free-speech plans could make Twitter worse, and the head of Russian space agency Roscosmos after he posted a veiled threat toward the Musk over the SpaceX Starlink terminals sent to aid Ukraine.

Permalink to story.

It is true that crypto bros tend to greatly overestimate their ability as coders yet at the same time anyone knows Musk is a really easy mark if you want to get on the news cycle: He's probably just as insecure as crypto bros (Because well, he *is* a crypto bro himself) so it's very likely to get him to respond and create a bunch of free publicity, specially now that he thinks (Perhaps correctly, sadly enough) that he is immune to libel lawsuits after he was able to throw baseless pedophilia accusations and his lawyers got him out of it on a ridiculous technicality.

Ultimately I think it is very safe to assume that any party that comments or replies on someone else's ability to be a good coder is probably not someone you should listen to in regards to coding if you ask me.

"Australian Dogecoin creator Jackson Palmer has denounced cryptocurrency as an “inherently right-wing, hyper-capitalistic technology”.

Can't possibly get more woke/ communist than this, he went full brains to the wall.
Are you actually implying that 99% of crypto isn't just a pump-n-dump scheme for scammers, and maybe sometimes a bit money laundering etc?

What kind of problems did BTC solve? All it did was increase energy consumption. Transactions are slow, expensive, and error-prone. The whole thing is centralized AF, by a handful of whales, both wallet and mining-wise.

There are coins and chains out there that actually make sense (Stellar is a good example), but people happen to be not using them. Instead, they're just HODLing their BTC or ETH. With an occasional small-scale buy-in into some sh*tcoin with hopes that it booms after a random Musk tweet or something, cash in, and bam, easy money.

That's crypto for you in a nutshell.

Are you actually implying that 99% of crypto isn't just a pump-n-dump scheme for scammers, and maybe sometimes a bit money laundering etc?

What kind of problems did BTC solve? All it did was increase energy consumption. Transactions are slow, expensive, and error-prone. The whole thing is centralized AF, by a handful of whales, both wallet and mining-wise.

There are coins and chains out there that actually make sense (Stellar is a good example), but people happen to be not using them. Instead, they're just HODLing their BTC or ETH. With an occasional small-scale buy-in into some sh*tcoin with hopes that it booms after a random Musk tweet or something, cash in, and bam, easy money.

Well put!

Crypto does have a useful purpose: to facilitate the transaction of illicit goods and services. And to make me rich quickly.

Checkmate, deniers.

Bill Gates played a large part in Microsoft's early success writing Basic interpreters largely by himself. In assembly.

Today I guarantee he would struggle running a python script. Why, because for one he has no reason to waste time coding. He probably hasn't touched the stuff in years. He would have to spend time just setting up the environment. He has money, he would rather just pay someone to do it for him. Same with Elon, why the hell would he ever waste his time messing around with code.

He hasn't been in a coding position in 20 years. Sure the basics you never forget, reading and somewhat having an understanding of what some of the code is doing is understandable. But lets be real, any real programmer has written things and came back months later thinking what black magic is going on here.

I have limited experience with Code. I'm a Controls Engineer, so I'm more ladder logic and function blocks. Sure that can be written out as structured text, but its no Python. But I've done plenty of small python/c++ on raspberry pi/arduino programs, or some HTML/Javascript. Gotta keep it easy.

I love it when the crypto shills and trolls keep reminding us that crypto is the best that ever happened to......................money launderers and drug dealers, and major crypto scam pushers like Musk!!
Definitely. Its value to society is simply unparalleled. 🤣

the interaction revealed that Musk wasn't as good at coding as he made out

Does anyone think that Musk is some sort of coding-god? LOL. The dude seems like a douche-nozzle lashing out at Musk. Who GAF?

I stopped caring about what Elon "Stinky" Musk says years ago. He pretends to be this visionary but he's really just the richest grifter in the world.

So, some elitist con man calls the grifter, "crooked"?
Isn't that pretty much the "pot v kettle" paradigm?

Last edited:
Back