Elon Musk sues OpenAI and Sam Altman over breach of contract, for-profit focus, and Microsoft...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? OpenAI might be struggling to keep track of all the lawsuits launched against it. After being sued by The New York Times and other entities, Elon Musk has become the latest to launch litigation against the ChatGPT maker and CEO Sam Altman. Musk's case isn't over copyright infringement, though; he says the pair have breached their original contractual agreements by putting profit ahead of developing AI that benefits humanity.

Musk was one of the co-founders, backers, and initial board members of OpenAI, departing the company in 2018 over what he said was a conflict of interest with Tesla.

Musk says that when he was approached by Altman and another co-founder, Greg Brockman, to help fund the startup in 2015, he was promised that OpenAI would be an open-source, not-for-profit company focused on safely creating an artificial general intelligence (AGI) and countering the competitive threat from Google.

Three years later, soon after Musk left, OpenAI established its for-profit business, which has attracted $13 billion of investment from Microsoft. In a lawsuit filed in San Francisco, lawyers said OpenAI's focus on money breaches the original contractual agreements.

"OpenAI, Inc. has been transformed into a closed-source de facto subsidiary of the largest technology company in the world: Microsoft. Under its new Board, it is not just developing but is actually refining an AGI to maximize profits for Microsoft, rather than for the benefit of humanity," the lawsuit states. "This was a stark betrayal of the Founding Agreement." The complaint notes that Musk donated $44 million to the nonprofit between 2016 to September 2020.

Musk hasn't tried to hide his disdain for ChatGPT and OpenAI's partnership with Microsoft. He called the chatbot "woke" last year and said the company was "effectively controlled by Microsoft." Musk said he had been offered a stake in the for-profit branch of OpenAI but refused to accept over ethical reasons.

The suit also claims that the design of GPT-4, OpenAI's most advanced LLM, had been kept "a complete secret" by the company. Musk claims GPT-4 constitutes an AGI and that OpenAI and Microsoft improperly licensed the LLM.

The lawsuit aims to force OpenAI to stick to its original mission of benefiting humanity via AI. It also seeks to stop the company from monetizing technologies developed under its non-profit for the benefit of executives and partners such as Microsoft. As reported by TechCrunch, Musk also asks for accounting and potential restitution of donations that were meant to fund OpenAI's public-minded research.

OpenAI and in some cases Microsoft are currently being sued for copyright infringement by The New York Times, which is accused of paying someone to "hack" ChatGPT, along with several digital publishers, authors, and other creators. With the world's richest person filing suit, OpenAI might find a lot of the money it's currently generating being spent on lawyers' fees.

Permalink to story.

I don't care what people say about Musk, I really love his battle against the woke agenda.

Dang minorities and women having rights. Better hide in that basement until your prayers to imaginary friends finally cure the country of not worshipping a draft dodging makeup wearing conman. Ooooh me oh my save us all from living in the reality of people not conforming to some rednecks delusions of what Murica should look like.

Will this be before or after he testifies at the defamation lawsuit he's set to appear at in the upcoming weeks? Even Matt Wallace and zerohedge of all entities were smart enough to delete their tweets lmao.

Dang minorities and women having rights. Better hide in that basement until your prayers to imaginary friends finally cure the country of not worshipping a draft dodging makeup wearing conman. Ooooh me oh my save us all from living in the reality of people not conforming to some rednecks delusions of what Murica should look like.
Nice strawman, mind telling me what rights men have that women don't? As someone who has been a democrate for 18 years I'm getting really annoyed that I'm not liberal enough to be a member of my own party anymore.

Dang minorities and women having rights.
They don't want equal rights. They want superiority and all the benefits but none of the responsibility.
If a minority or woman does something good then they are breaking the glass ceiling and are the "first ever" but if these two groups do something bad it's swept under the carpet by leftist media and they are giving a slap on the wrist, where as a white hetero man is thrown in - no - under the jail for a long time.

Well, in Texas and Florida, a woman's rights to her own uterus.
Men don't have a uterus so not an equal rights case. And maybe don't live in those places? "I'm going to live in a state that I actively disagree with!"

I really can't stand the people who move somewhere that they hate everything about and then complain about how they hate it. I hate Florida, California, Texas and New York. Want to know what all those states have in common? Political extremism.

Men don't have a uterus so not an equal rights case. And maybe don't live in those places? "I'm going to live in a state that I actively disagree with!"

I really can't stand the people who move somewhere that they hate everything about and then complain about how they hate it. I hate Florida, California, Texas and New York. Want to know what all those states have in common? Political extremism.
I am a native Texan, still living in Texas. Again with the assumptions?

You assumed that I moved somewhere that I hate. Nope. I never left.
No, I said I hate it when people move somewhere they hate, had no idea you lived in Texas so I assumed nothing about you living there. What other assumption did I make?

Hating the 4 states with the largest populations in the country seems pretty extreme in its own right. I take it you're not much of a people person.
I very clearly said why I don't like those states. If it satisfies your curiosity, I do think most people are *****s. If you consider how dumb the average person is and that half the population is dumber than that you don't get left with much to work with

WTF does this have anything to do about being "Woke". Also morons that use that word have no clue what it really mean nor where it came from. Hint: It has nothing to do with rights, gender,or sexuality.
Woke nolonger means what it originally did. It actually started as something to describe far right conspiracy theorists. I don't know how, but it ended up meaning exactly the thing you say it doesnt starting around the beginning of 2023. But I see my post seems to have struck a nerve, which part?

Woke nolonger means what it originally did. It actually started as something to describe far right conspiracy theorists. I don't know how, but it ended up meaning exactly the thing you say it doesnt starting around the beginning of 2023. But I see my post seems to have struck a nerve, which part?
The part where you used "woke" in the pejorative.

Woke didn't come from that. Look up the black folk singer Lead Belly and Willard Ramblin Thomas. It came from black laborers in southern sawmills then to black activist in the early 20th century about sundown towns. You're on a tech site, so I'm sure you can do a little research.

Back