Emachine W2260 monitor in power save mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
This PC powers up but will not give me display other than "monitor is in power save mode activate using PC". No matter what I try ...same thing until monitor shuts off. I am not sure if this is related to a prior posting about bad supplys and MB. I have tried everything including adding different graphics card.

Did you try another monitor? Did you turn off the on-board graphics controller when you changed video cards?

Don't think it's a power supply problem, but if the power supply is a Bestec or HiPro replace it, along with the motherboard

You have a Wal-Mart eMachine, but it is basically the same as the high failure rate T-2260, with the same problems... and I am sorry to report they are probably not fixable... Did you get the 2-year Wal-mart warranty? If not, you probably are faced with an expensive fix.
The motherboard is failing, and will soon cause the power supply to go dead. A replacement from eMachine is $179... plus shipping, for the motherboard, and $60 for the power supply.
The CPU remains good, as does the CPU heat sink, hard drive, optical drive and memory, but we are sorry to report we don't see much hope for that computer...
But, thereis always hope that I am wrong.
I would buy a new computer, or get another motherboard by anyone but eMachines... There are still a few available.... but first, you have to determine the CPU... and what boards it will fit.
You can check www.tigerdirect.com, www.newegg.com, www.frys.com, www.outpost.com, www.techdepot.com, www.cdw.com, www.directron.com, www.zipzoomfly.com and so on...
Since this is now an older machine, you will probably be able to find combinations of motherboard and CPU that will be less expensive than a motherboard alone...
Neither the Bestec, PowerMax, nor the HiPro, most commonly used in that model, if still working, are not a good power supplies, and should be replaced if you decide to rebuild the computer.
But my personal choice would be to buy a refurbished Dell, IBM, or other from PCSurplusOnline, CPU Solutions, Computer Geeks, or other such replacement for under $200 rather than attempt to fix the eMachine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back