Enough power for a 9600 GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiffen

Hey guys,

I'm getting a 9600 GT for my birthday on Sept.5th, that is unless my power supply can't handle it. I'm pretty sure it can but I want to make sure.

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane
Motherboard
ASUS M2N-E
Memory
1gb Patriot DDR2 667Mhz
Hard Disks
Western Digital 250gb SATAII, Maxtor 80gb
Other drives
LG Super Multi DVD/RW, CD/RW
Power Supply:
Orion HP585D

585 Watts

+12V1 19A
+12V2 20A
-12V 1A

It was a budget supply and maybe I will get a new one some day but as for now i'm looking to run a Evga 9600 GT

http://www.pccyber.com/?v=product&i=VC-EVGA-512-P3-N862-AR

Thanks

Is it not a dual rail? There are 39 amps on the 12v rails in total. I think the first rail is mainly for the CPU and the second is for other hardware or something like that.

Is it not a dual rail? There are 39 amps on the 12v rails in total. I think the first rail is mainly for the CPU and the second is for other hardware or something like that.
You do not just add the 12v rails together, most of the time that's the case.
Read this:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763
If you find the amp rating for your psu in this link or the previous link I posted my appoligies.

Amp rating of psu = maximum combined wattage on the combined 12v rails divided by 12 = amps on the 12v = Amp rating of your psu

The 9600GT pulls around 8-10A under maximum load, which will be enough given the dual-rail setup of your PSU. As long as you have a separate PCI-E connector, it means you're not drawing power from the same rail as your other components, and hence you're okay for the time being. I'd advise replacing it ASAP, since HEC PSUs have a history of the primary caps failing pretty fast.

Thanks. Any recommendations for a future power supply? I don't need anything overboard, I won't be changing any components other than the 9600 GT and maybe another gig of ram so you don't need to consider me upgrading and getting extra wattage. Just something that doesn't cost to much and will happily run it.

Wattage is not nearly as important as quality in a power supply. Anything over 450 watts by Antec, OCZ, Corsair, Seasonic, Sparkle, FSP Group, PC Power and Cooling, and any of the number of power supplies listed on one of the guides or messages on this forum. Remember there are 87 different brands of power supply... only 19 of them are quality units so do your reading on anandtech.com, www.tomshardware.com and others where they do in-depth reviews.

Antec's Earthwatts EA380 & EA430 and Corsair's 450VX are excellent units, with the latter being the most powerful unit with 33A on a single +12V rail as opposed to the EA380's 27A and EA430's 30A split along two rails. All are Seasonic-made and of superb quality. If you're into looks, go for the Corsair, otherwise the Antec will do nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back