Entering website in IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

italianrock72

Alright, so I have a website. Say when you type in www.thenameofmywebsite.com, for example, it will go to my website. No Problems.
But when I open up a browser, IE, Firefox, Chrome, and type in just thenameofmywebsite.com, without the www.before it, it gives me the:
"
Under Construction
The site you are trying to view does not currently have a default page. It may be in the process of being upgraded and configured.
Please try this site again later. If you still experience the problem, try contacting the Web site administrator.
If you are the Web site administrator and feel you have received this message in error, please see "Enabling and Disabling Dynamic Content" in IIS Help.
To access IIS Help
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open text box, type inetmgr. IIS Manager appears.
3. From the Help menu, click Help Topics.
4. Click Internet Information Services.
"
Please tell me how I can fix this.
Thanks.

Also, I just realized that when you click www.thenameofmywebsite.com it forwards you to http://www.denverchinesemedicine.com/, that is not my website, I was just using that as an example.

The website is available, I own it, and when I type it in with www. it comes up, just not when I type it in without the www. So when I have employee's of mine telling customer's to go to the name of our company's website, people just type in the name of the site, without www. and it is taking them to the Under Construction page. It only happens on this one.

For clarification, are you stating that the website you want to access is not available but redirects you to another site? Does this happen if you attempt other websites or only this one?

the issue is in domain registration. when you registered your name did you use

In truth, the real domain name registered is without the WWW; that is an artifact
of some registrars but not all. The real design for domain names is to associate
the name -> ip address. The www portion (or ftp., smtp. pop.) are intented to
be resolved at the domain's local DNS where a different box is used for every service.

With so many hosting solutions and registrars today, they frequently add an
alias www.thenameofmywebsite.com -> thenameofmywebsite.com -> your ip address.

as long as http: // www.thenameofmywebsite.com gets to your server, you have no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back