Epic is giving away the entire Tomb Raider trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Epic Games as part of its holiday sale committed to giving away one free game each day through the duration of the event. On Thursday, the developer and publisher broke the one-a-day mold by dishing out three Tomb Raider games. Best yet, this isn’t a 24-hour offer, as you have a full week to grab them.

From now through January 6 at 10 a.m., you can grab complimentary copies of Tomb Raider Game of the Year Edition, Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration and Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. The three games would normally set you back a total of $89.97.

The 10th title in the franchise, Tomb Raider dropped in 2013 and received mostly positive reviews from the gaming community. Rise of the Tomb Raider followed in late 2015 as a direct sequel, earning a score of 86 out of 100 on Metacritic on PC and Xbox One.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider continued the narrative from Rise of the Tomb Raider when it arrived in late 2018, but got off to a slower start with the PC version only reaching a score of 77 out of 100 on Metacritic.

Epic’s holiday sale runs through January 6, meaning there’s still time to take advantage of the $10 Epic Coupon. With it, you can get an additional $10 off any game priced $14.99 or more after any other applicable discounts.

Permalink to story.

Awesome. At this rate I will soon have more games on Epic than I do on my 17 year old steam account. I havent bought anything on steam for years at this point. Games are either cheaper or free on Epic or free on game pass these days. Even Ubi games cost less on Epic and once added to your Ubi account you dont even need Epic open. Unlike AC4 which seems to need both steam and ubi open to run which is just annoying.

After having played all the original Tomb Raider games, I'd have to say that when I played the new release in 2013, I was really let down. There was no tomb raiding and no real puzzles - it took a new direction - kind of like Dragon Age II, not much like the original.

I felt Lara was turned into a John Wick/Rambo/Terminator all rolled into 1.
Give her a bow and she's dropping fools like Rambo.
Give her a gun and she's got the headshot skills of John Wick and once you level up close combat skills you can even take down bad guys like John Wick.
Terminator - she falls from great heights, swept down rivers, smashes into things and gets up and keeps going like it didn't phase her.

I found no challenge in defending myself. Many encounters as guys would be swarming in on you, I just stood in one spot with my bow and sniped guys without needing to run or hide behind cover. One time as you were snared and hanging upside down I took out guys with gun with precision that would make John Wick cry.

Then, after all the punishment she deals out and all the falls she takes, to get up and walk away.....she gets captured and knocked out with a punch. LMAO! I was laughing so hard at most of the story.

Anyway. It's nice that EPIC is dropping all these games for free, but I couldn't bring myself to play any of the other new Tomb Raiders just based off of how bad the first new one was. Hopefully others out there enjoy the series, but I feel like the reboot is a slap in the face of the originals.

Well, maybe if their store was working (Error 500), I'd grab these free games too.

Well, maybe if their store was working (Error 500), I'd grab these free games too.
It took about 20 attempts and several browser windows (the app would just crash) to get all three games, but it worked eventually!

I was lucky. Added all three games to my cart. With a single purchase and no errors, they are now in my library.

I have all three on Epic and Steam. I'll consider it a backup redundancy for crap like Ubisoft's account deletions.

It took about 20 attempts and several browser windows (the app would just crash) to get all three games, but it worked eventually!
Still being dumb. Even telling me it's failing after switching to a random language (like Italian or Portuguese) lol

Edit: Tried again, and after a Chinese failure dialogue, things loaded far enough to get them.

Last edited:
Still being dumb. Even telling me it's failing after switching to a random language (like Italian or Portuguese) lol

Edit: Tried again, and after a Chinese failure dialogue, things loaded far enough to get them.
LOL I ran into the same issue. It switched to Spanish at one point and then I managed to get it back to English. Epic was apparently not ready for the storm they created. lol

Well, most of my purchases in 2021 have been on Epic due to lower prices so it's pretty awesome. I still have Steam installed but now its sharing the fate of UBI launcher and Origin.

Congratulations to all who stood by this long. Good Game, epic.

I have no games I would like to add to wish list anymore at this rate. Maybe Kena: Bridge of Spirits. Maybe next years.

Erm, that sounds like the joke is on you if im honest.
Neah, I just have better standards than you and I also hate anti-consumer practices like the cancer that is "third party exclusivity deals" that destroy the market (especially for the smaller stores).

I prefer to pay for a game on a different store (gog, gmg, humble, steam, etc) than to support Epic and their crap.

Neah, I just have better standards than you and I also hate anti-consumer practices like the cancer that is "third party exclusivity deals" that destroy the market (especially for the smaller stores).

I prefer to pay for a game on a different store (gog, gmg, humble, steam, etc) than to support Epic and their crap.
I expect because of this you must also be hating on UE5 although it's an amazing engine and a game changer for next gen, right?
Or can you differentiate enough to not hate Epic as a whole?

Like for me for example, I still dislike intel for all the scummy things they did in the past (related to CPUs mainly) so I am not interested in their Alder Lake CPUs, but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and a new chance with Arc GPUs, until they disappoint me on that front too, if it ever happens.

After having played all the original Tomb Raider games, I'd have to say that when I played the new release in 2013, I was really let down. There was no tomb raiding and no real puzzles - it took a new direction - kind of like Dragon Age II, not much like the original.

I felt Lara was turned into a John Wick/Rambo/Terminator all rolled into 1.
Give her a bow and she's dropping fools like Rambo.
Give her a gun and she's got the headshot skills of John Wick and once you level up close combat skills you can even take down bad guys like John Wick.
Terminator - she falls from great heights, swept down rivers, smashes into things and gets up and keeps going like it didn't phase her.

I found no challenge in defending myself. Many encounters as guys would be swarming in on you, I just stood in one spot with my bow and sniped guys without needing to run or hide behind cover. One time as you were snared and hanging upside down I took out guys with gun with precision that would make John Wick cry.

Then, after all the punishment she deals out and all the falls she takes, to get up and walk away.....she gets captured and knocked out with a punch. LMAO! I was laughing so hard at most of the story.

Anyway. It's nice that EPIC is dropping all these games for free, but I couldn't bring myself to play any of the other new Tomb Raiders just based off of how bad the first new one was. Hopefully others out there enjoy the series, but I feel like the reboot is a slap in the face of the originals.
It's a more modern sensibility for sure. But tbh I prefer it as I no longer have the time to wander around a tomb trying to figure out what to do next. I also have more disposable cash so am always in a hurry to experience the next game.

I wander around

Is about one of few games that actually uses the settings and every detail in the game to tell a story. I actually prefer these types of games because, in each level, almost none of the props, elements (and lots of them) are not there for no reason.

You cannot convince someone of something it does not understand/comprehend.

I dare, go around and count the elements and details, as it is better structured artistically than most games.

That is the purpose, to let yourself drift wandering around, lost in details and the narrative of the game.
Explorer sees and identifies detail and traces in the story, clues and dimensions around him, almost like a hunter. His discovery into the nature, wonderous and lost, not knowing what is next, or never so curios to see what is awaiting, in such a vast unforeseen places.

Last edited:

Holy pretentious! Internet is alive and well in 2022. I bet you use that wet wipe toilet paper that biodegrades into avocado.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back