Epic's Holiday Sale offers 'endless' $10 coupons, 12 days of free games, and steep discounts...

Polycount

Staff
Holiday deals: The holidays are in full swing, and plenty of companies are getting in on the festivities. While Black Friday and Cyber Monday have already passed us by, PC gamers have plenty of other deals to look forward to now. Steam's Winter Sale just kicked off, and now, Epic's own Holiday Sale is following suit, but with a bit of a twist.

In addition to offering very steep discounts on virtually its entire game catalogue -- even new titles like Borderlands 3 are a whopping 35 percent off -- Epic is holding its own 12 days of Christmas celebration. Starting now, and for the next week and change, the platform will give you one free game per day, to keep forever.

Keeping in line with the holiday spirit, Epic will only reveal what each game is the day it becomes free, so don't expect any spoilers. The first freebie available is strategy title Into The Breach, developed by the same people who made FTL. Just make sure you grab it soon -- the earlier offers don't stick around as the 12 days go on. Every day, the previous free game will cycle out, and a new one will take its place.

In this case, you have until tomorrow (December 20) at 10AM to snag Into The Breach at no cost. We assume this window of time will remain consistent moving forward.

If you want a bit more control over which games you're going to get, but you still don't want to pay anywhere near full price, Epic has your back there. For the entire duration of the Holiday Sale, every customer will get a free $10 coupon, usable on purchases that amount to $15 or more.

Once you use that coupon, you'll get another one (the same purchasing rules apply), and then another one, and so on. As long as you keep using the coupons, Epic is happy to keep giving them to you.

While these coupons do prevent you from snagging completely free games (you can't use them on $8 or $10 titles, for example), you can get many at astoundingly low prices -- The Division 2 is 75 percent off right now, bringing its price down to $15. Combine that with the $10 coupon, and you're getting Ubisoft's latest looter shooter for five bucks. Even if you don't absolutely love the game, you'll probably at least get your money's worth at that price.

Other high-quality games can offer similar savings. For example, you could grab Metro Exodus for a mere $10 after the coupon and base savings, or John Wick Hex for $7. Red Dead Redemption 2 would run you just $37.99 after savings, and Control would come in at $30.19. We won't cover every possible deal here, but you probably get the picture by now.

Epic's Holiday Sale celebration is the latest in a long line of marketing decisions that show the company isn't afraid to throw its money and weight around to win over customers. Whether or not this tactic will prove effective this time around remains to be seen. Epic's Holiday offerings are certainly generous this year, but so are Steam's.

Permalink to story.

All of these sales are giving me a headache. Between Steam and Epic, I've already dropped $150 bucks.

Who knows when I'll actually have the time to play these damn games... :D

All of these sales are giving me a headache. Between Steam and Epic, I've already dropped $150 bucks.

Who knows when I'll actually have the time to play these damn games... :D
I've had to self-impose a limit. They'll go on sale again, I'll play other games while that happens lol

So far from Epic I got Borderlands 3 for $29. Red Dead Redemption 2 for $38.00.Ghost Recon Breakpoint $14.00. The Division 2 for $5. And Darksiders 3 for $10.
I mean....Damn.

Steam who?

Last edited:
Division 2 at 5$ with discount... Omg! Very cool.
I'm trying though to think what part of the game costed them so little, to actually justify a price like this... Maybe the weapon design? Maybe the debris artwork?
Too bad the game does not include zombies or battle royale and more destruction like in battlefield games. I personally would like Assassin creed Unity, the latest Tomb Raider and Age of empires 2 DE. I don't play these games though, but I would imagine it's cool to download once and, hop in once in a while, then rinse and repeat. Teenagers in this era are so lucky, they have everything.

Last edited:
So far from Epic I got Borderlands 3 for $29. Red Dead Redemption 2 for $38.00.Ghost Recon Breakpoint $14.00. The Division 2 for $5. And Darksiders 3 for $10.
I mean....Damn.

Steam who?

The deals are for now but once they have a large user base you will slowly see them being greedy and raising prices or offering less off.

This reminds me of what the steam sales used to be. Or maybe that's just my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses messing with my memory.

Now I'm curious... Does that $10 cycling discount come strictly from Epic's pockets, or is that an additional $10 decrease in revenue that is forced on the game maker on top of their sale discount already in place?

If that $10 comes out of the developers' bottom line, sure whittles away at that "low percentage" benefit that Epic uses to entice people to sell on their service.

I waited almost a year until FARCRY 5 was cheap. I grabbed it for like $10-$15. I have to say, great game!

Farcry 4 was disappointing, after the easter egg was out I lost interest in it. I'm a Nintendo Wii devotee but sometimes I like to blow stuff up, too. Normally I'm a bargain finder, nice clothing is fair priced - except for my workplace and dating stuff. I like fancy-dancy dresses but have too many as it is. That's not really a complaint if I'm making it sound like one.. ;)

If that $10 comes out of the developers' bottom line, sure whittles away at that "low percentage" benefit that Epic uses to entice people to sell on their service.

It's a cooperative split in the spirit of Christmas giving. Epic is footing $0.09 and the devs eat the rest, a sundry corporate "got my hands on your wallet", split. /s

You mean like Steam????
Steam lets the publishers choose their own sale discounts (and sends them an email to warn them about the bigger sale periods). So, not so much Steam setting the prices.........

Division 2 at 5$ with discount... Omg! Very cool.
I'm trying though to think what part of the game costed them so little, to actually justify a price like this... Maybe the weapon design? Maybe the debris artwork?
Too bad the game does not include zombies or battle royale and more destruction like in battlefield games. I personally would like Assassin creed Unity, the latest Tomb Raider and Age of empires 2 DE. I don't play these games though, but I would imagine it's cool to download once and, hop in once in a while, then rinse and repeat. Teenagers in this era are so lucky, they have everything.

They are losing money, the idea is to create a huge customer base for the future. Most businesses aren't profitable the first 2 years cause they spend so much on marketing. This is a huge marketing campaign by Epic, and it seems to be working. I never bought anything from them until this sale.

Back