Ethernet Driver lost in System Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

stitchintricia

Hello~
I'm hoping to find help here, I've been working on husband's pc after it was severely infected with a worm and several trojan/virus infections. After working many hours with HP and MS techs, who gave up before I did, I was able to defeat the pesky pop-ups with a System Restore. However, at the same time, I realized I had lost some essential driver files-- most important among them, the Ethernet driver. As a temporary fix, I added a USB wireless device to be able to connect, and continued to work on cleaning and disinfecting with the assistance of a Techspot Forum.

Now, it's time to address the Ethernet driver issue and I have no idea how to identify and locate the driver I need. The pc is and HP Pavillion d4000. It is a Media Center model that was built for our specs by HP, thus not a common model number. It is an Intel Pentium CPU 3.00 GHz, running Windows XP, SP2.

We operate on a home network, and I believe that I installed the network card on this one, about 3-4 years ago, when we decided to set up the wireless network. I don't remember the brand of the card.

I'm hoping someone can point me to the right driver. If more information is needed, just tell me what and where to look for it.

Thanks for any help~

Tricia

Re: Lost Ethernet Driver and HP site

I've been to the HP site and just went there again, to be sure. While there are numerous driver downloads available, there are none that are identified as Ethernet drivers or controllers, which is what I am missing, according to Device Manager.

I suppose that could be because this model did not originally come with wireless networking, but I thought that Ethernet related to the kind of networking that used the "larger than telephone plug-ins." Sorry for the non technical description, I only mean to indicate that I believe there should be an original Ethernet controller or driver file--- and perhaps I am not seeing it, or I am still looking in the wrong place. I

Sorry to sound like an airhead, or to be one as the case may be, but I really need help with this and I am not understanding if Ethernet "driver" and "controller" are even the same thing.

I do hope you can help me resolve this.

Thanks again~

Tricia

Re:HP and Ethernet driver download

After scouring the HP site once more and coming up empty, I clicked on Customer Care and requested Online Chat, their free service for out of warranty customers. I was given a link to Realtek to download the Ethernet drivers and (I'm almost believing in modern day miracles now) it actually worked! Of course, once the Ethernet Controller was restored, there is still a video driver missing...and my network connections won't connect yet...but I'll try to sort that out tomorrow by reinstalling Network Magic, which also disappeared with the System Restore.

Meanwhile..thanks for being here and thanks for your help. It really was helpful to have you steer me back to HP, and I am glad to be making progress.

Thanks again,
Tricia

I had a similar problem, but mine was lost during a reinstall of the os system. This is what I use now and I have no problems with it. You can down download it at www.download.com. The program is Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter . I think this will work for you.

Thanks, I'm glad it worked for you. In my case, the driver downloaded from Realtek worked, after I reinstalled my Network Magic... this was all on my husband's pc and everything is back to normal EXCEPT for the sound...I know, that's a big exception... the advice I got was to reinstall Windows...and I just haven't wanted to take the time to do a complete reinstall of Windows...so he suffers in silence...and uses my pc when he needs to hear something...

Hi stitchintricia

I can try to help but you still haven't identified your exact HP model (see my earlier post at start of thread for the link on how to find the exact model info). If you do that then
See if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
Generate a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)

Re: drivers lost in System Restore

I have followed thru on both your instructions. Windows didn't spot a problem. However, when I ran the dxdiag, the results were "no sound card found" which is definitely a problem. I know there is a sound card, now how do I go about re-installing that?

Thanks for your help.

Tricia

Please attach the Dxdiag.txt file fto your post so i can see it all (see my last post on how to create and attach it)

Re: Drivers lost-dxdiag txt attached

Hi,
Sorry, I thought I had attached this the first time. Apparently, the driver I'm missing is for the Realtek High Definition Audio. HP tech gave me a link to a driver download, but the driver failed to work upon installation, with the update. It gave me an error code and said to uninstall. I've tried it four times---don't know if HP is worth the bother....

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tricia

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    36.7 KB · Views: 4
As best i can tell, i don't see the sound card hardware device in the dxdiag file. (I'd expect the hardware device to be appear in the file under System Devices even when the driver's not installed)

Look in the BIOS to see if there's an option to enable/disable onboard sound. (I think for HP you need to hit the Delete key on power up to enter BIOS. So power on and immediately start tapping delete. BIOS should appear before Windows starting screen.

Once it's enabled you can try reinstalling the Realtek driver. If still not work after enabling, generate a new dxdiag file.

Also, be careful not to change any other BIOS setting.

Hi Tricia

Correction!

I believe you have an HP d4100y computer. Looks like you need to hit F1 (or maybe F10) to enter BIOS. See this link about HP BIOS. Note its instruction on how to enter BIOS and view settings (also note the example screen showing Onboard Audio setting)

Thanks, I was able to view the Bios settings and found that the Onboard Audio settings were enabled. I have updated all the driveres...can't find anything else. This is becoming a deeper mystery, the farther I go.

When I do uninstall and reinstall the driver, it seems to go fine...but then I get an error --"Code 10".
Anyone have any other suggestions We have these great Logitech speakers going to waste...seems a shame...no sound, at all.

Thanks,
Tricia

Are you now getting something like “This device cannot start. (Code 10)”? As that may actually mean progress (though we still haven't won the cigar!)

If you carefully look through Device Manager do you see any
> Colored icons appear under System Devices? or Sound Devices? (they're usually yellow)
> Do you see anything listed as Other or Unknown Devices?
You might also try running that check for Problem Devices again (see my prior post) to see if anything now appears?

In any event, suggest the next best step: Upgrade to XP SP3 (SP3 has some sound fixes that may apply). The SP3 upgrade usually goes without problem (you have at least 1-2GB free space?) but always good to be cautious and do a backup first

Thanks, Lookin'Around...
After all these upgrades, I could kick myself for not thinking about that...you are right on all accounts...the device shows up, I do get the error code 10, and I do need to upgrade to SP3 on DH's computer. I noticed sometime during the virus cleanup that he wasn't up to date, but the techs I was working with at the time advised to let that wait until we had conquered the virus/trojan cleanup...and, of course, it was still somewhere in the back of my mind since we haven't completely gotten everything (like the sound) back to "good." I'll do the SP3 update this afternoon or evening...as soon as I can kick DH off his computer again. (I try to work on it when he has errands or is otherwise busy)
Thanks,
Tricia

No sound, installed driver, updates all around

Hi,

Still working on this...went through all the updates...SP3 and about 60+ addl., then tried the uninstall, find new hardware routine. Same results.

I went back to your earlier instructions to look for problems. With Run:msinfo, for "Problem Components," I got this:

Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM) PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0008&SUBSYS_10221102&REV_00\4&1AF1648C&0&38F0 This device cannot start.

I ran the dxdiag and attached file. Apparently, this test still does not find my sound card.

What should I try next?

Thanks again for your help~

Tricia

Attachments

• DxDiag 3-9-10.txt
    57 KB · Views: 2
I ran the dxdiag and attached file. Apparently, this test still does not find my sound card.
Just fyi.. the "no sound card" message in the DxDiag window can be a bit misleading. It really means no sound card with a working driver found (e.g. you get that message even when windows finds the physical sound card but it doesn't have a working driver)

So... for example, note Windows IS finding your sound card hardware since you checked the BIOS but the driver is still not working so dxdiag still displays that somewhat misleading message. And if you look in your latest dxdiag.txt file under System Devices you'll now see
Name: Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0008&SUBSYS_10221102&REV_00\4&1AF1648C&0&38F0

As i interpret this: i believe you actually have an add-on sound card installed in your computer (a Creative sound product) which we are seeing. Your onboard sound (the Realtek) is disabled by BIOS since it detects the add on sound card.

Does that sound familiar? Do you recall ordering a Creative addon sound card? Have you tried reinstalling any Creative drivers as well? Why don't you take a look under Add/Remove Programs also. See if any Creative software is installed.

If it helps, this link demonstrates how to look at the back of a computer to look for add on sound cards and audio jacks,etc.

During one of my "Find new hardware" ventures, I somehow managed to install a different Creative Sound card... I had chosen the "manual install" and this resulted in a complete install with no exceptions, no yellow balloon asterisks, etc. --- but still, no sound!

When I tried 'adjusting volume' with the first install of the driver/sound card that 'would not start'-- the pc reported that there was 'no mixer' installed. When this second driver/card was installed, it does show a mixer, etc., installed, as well. But, as I mentioned...still no sound...

It is quite likely that the sound card we chose is an upgrade-- we did a 'custom build' when we ordered the pc, and have always had good results with Sound Blaster. However, it has been some time since then and I really don't recall the specifics. So, while I don't think we have an "add-on" sound card (actually, I'm pretty certain we don't), we may have something other than what the original sound card would have been. Would it help if I opened her up and pulled the model number off the sound card? I do know that there is only one in there...since I took a look earlier in this adventure.

Thanks for any help~

Tricia

Just a quick update-- I posted a query on the Audio and Video Forum earlier today and, after a couple of back and forths, was given a link to an original driver for our Creative Audigy SB card---and, amazingly--it is now working!

Thanks so much for all your help, this Forum is amazing!

Tricia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back