Ethernet Not Recognized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemogoblin

I just switched over a hard drive from one computer to another. When I did that, I loaded up the computer and logged into Windows, no problem.

However, when I tried to connect to the internet, it told me that there was no connection, which I thought was strange because my ethernet cable is plugged into the exact same spot it was before.

I opened up my Network Connections to see what was going on, and the only connection that appears is the 1394 Connection. There are no others there at all. No wireless connections (which I also had set up but was not using at the time), no ethernet connections, nothing.

I've been searching around online for some answers, but I can't seem to find anything.

I am really not very knowledgeable about this stuff, but I'm trying to learn, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

When you switch over HardDrives, you need to do a Windows Repair too

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

Xp Repair Home/Pro http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

Vista Repair:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options.htm

Actually it's amazing that it starts!

hahaha, like I said, I don't know much about all this stuff, so I just kinda looked up a tutorial on how to install a hard drive and went for it!

I'll check out those windows repair things and reply saying how it goes.

hmmm... I don't know if I have a Windows XP cd, it came pre-installed on the computer. Will any Windows XP cd work, or does it have to correspond exactly with that specific installation and serial key somehow?

It must correspond. :(

And there are many different versions, including OEM versions (which have to be the exact same as yours installed)

I'd say contact the manufacture on purchasing (at reduced cost) the Windows Restore CD (this will help in future anyway)

By the way a Restore CD, does not use the above proceedure
It's a matter of backing up (before hand) and restoring your computer (although I think some have Repair)

You'll probably have some F# function key to press on system startup to start restore (if the Restore partition exists) But backup must be done first

oook.... so, I've got my cd and I'm ready to do the repair... problem is that my computer is not recognizing that it has a cd drive. Any ideas as to why this would be?

Sometimes BIOS does not show the CD Drive connected
You are using the CD from system startup (not in Windows) aren't you?

If so, then you may have a CD/DVD Drive, or cabling issue

when I turn on my computer, it just loads into windows. It cannot recognize any cds that I put in it.

In Device Manager, there is a yellow icon with an exclamation mark by the name of the hard drive.

When I go into the cd drive properties through Device Manager, it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

For Windows:

Xp
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

Just run one of those, and restart

-----------

For Startup:

When you first turn on the computer
You will notice a prompt, like Press F2 to get into Setup (Note: it may be another key stated, and it might say BIOS or Firmware or CMOS)

Once in CMOS Setup screen navigate around (via Keyboard Arrow, Tab, Enter keys) until you find the Boot (or startup) order

Change the sequence to:
1st Startup item=CDRom
2nd item = HardDrive
3rd item = (actually this doesn't matter)

Save and exit CMOS (which is F10 on most computers) and with the Windows CD in the drive, "Press any key (ie space bar) to boot from windows" message should come up (when your computer starts up again)

Follow the bouncing ball after that!

ok, so I just finished doing the repair thing, but I still have a few problems.

1. I have all of my stuff still on my hard drive, but nothing shows up in the start menu to show that I have any programs installed. I just went into the program files to try and start a few games that way to check if everything was good, but it tells me that some .dll file was not found, and that re-installing the application may fix the problem. I also tried to run Flash, and that worked fine, although it was asking me for my serial number again.

2. There are still no recognized network connections, and in the device manager, there are still the yellow circles with the exclamation marks in them. It tells me that "the drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)" for everything listed in "Other Devices".

grr.... I was hoping that this repair install would be the last of my troubles...

I should also mention that windows are moving slowly when I move them around. They don't drag in a smooth fashion, but rather refresh in the new location I have dragged them to after a short pause.

ok, well like I said, I installed the driver for the video card, and that has fixed that problem. However, I still have no network connections other than the 1394 one, I still get the Code 28 message about my Ethernet controller, and I still have the .dll problem with programs previously installed on the computer.

I am at a loss as to where to go from here

I was hoping that this repair install would be the last of my troubles
Well once the Repair was done (way up there)
There is still the small matter of loading all the system drivers (ie ethernet)

How you find these drivers, is by going to the motherboards (or computer if it's a brand name) support page. ie If it's a Dell, you'd go to Dell's support web page, and locate your model number and download the drivers.

As this may be all too hard (I can understand)
I may be able to help provide the direct link to the support drivers download page (that's a mouthfull !)
Anyway, you just need to tell me either the Motherboard Name and model number, or the Computer name and model number. Which is either printed on the case (for brand label computers) or on the Motherboard itself.

Good luck !

alright.

thanks for all the help by the way!

the motherboard is an Intel Battle Lake D915PBL, I believe. That's the name that Everest is giving me, anyways. Hope that helps!

you cannot load or boot XP installed for one system and use it on another. 1. It's illegal 2. XP configures itself for the system it is loaded on.

you cannot load or boot XP installed for one system and use it on another. 1. It's illegal 2. XP configures itself for the system it is loaded on.

1) It is not illegal if you are using an OEM image and are transferring a license, or if you are using a volume license

2) It will work provided the motherboard chipset is the same and the physical location of the HDD is same

It's for that very reason that shops can rely heavily on disk imaging

Soul Harvester, I think you may be a little confused (or I am :confused: )

OEM means that the Key belongs only to that computer
Disk imaging is done on the HardDrive, that goes back into the same computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back