EVGA intros the Hybrid GTX 275 Co-op PhysX graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

EVGA has announced a new dual-GPU video card, aptly named the Hybrid GTX 275 Co-op PhysX. The card houses both Nvidia GTX 275 and GTS 250 chips, which are linked together in some form of Hybrid SLI configuration. The GTX 275 is responsible for rendering graphics, while the GTS 250 tackles all of the PhysX calculations -- an interesting offer, even if Fermi is just around the corner.

The Hybrid GTX 275 Co-op PhysX card features 1.28GB of combined VRAM with a maximum memory bandwidth of 179.8GB/s, and the GTX 275 is clocked at 633MHz while the GTS 250 runs at 738MHz. It attaches via PCIe 2.0 x16, has two DVI-I ports, supports a maximum analog resolution of 2048x1536 or digital resolution of 2560x1600, and can be set up in a SLI configuration with another EVGA Hybrid GTX 275 card.

EVGA's new Hybrid graphics card costs $350 and is up for preorder now. Buyers also receive a downloadable copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum, which explains why Joker's image is branded on the side of the card.

Permalink to story.

If the price drops to the $200-$299 range i'd probably get this(wife won't allow me to spend over 300 for a card as i've been looking for one). Of course...i'd really love to see some benchmarking of this card..hint hint :)

Great idea, but doesn't come with DirectX 11 support. If I was buying a card today, I wouldn't consider any that didn't have DirectX 11 capabilities.

I would agree with TomSEA. DX11 looks amazing and I wouldn't invest any money in a non-DX11 card. Personally I am waiting on an AMD 5850X2 to come out to replace my 3870 card.

Yeah it's hard for me to formulate an opinion of this thing without seeing some performance tests and how it compares to other cards.

mmh, it's a bit useless in my opinion but it looks to me that nvidia is trying to promote phsyx. the power consuption is a bit too high in my mind.

The need for this isn't really needed much at the moment I feel its just a marketing ploy from EVGA, As NVIDIA is prepping for DX11 EVGA should have waited till then.
I can see if you only have the combination of one PCI E x16 slot ( which is probably the majority of people) and a low PSU.
I like the idea of this and think that it will allow for some good things to come, as NVIDIA is pushing for GPGPU this might work well as a program accelerator too.
The new NVIDIA beta drivers have already adopted OpenCl so who knows whats gonna happen.

I saw this yesterday on EVGA's website, and I have to say it's a bit of a questionable move on EVGA's part. It's catering to the high-end segment, but lacking any DirectX 11 support, and with the GF100 apparently arriving in December, I don't see much demand for this card. It IS a pretty sweet idea though!

No DX 11 support kinda kills it for me, tho i bet the card is extremely powerful. What's the point of the joker picture if once it is in your pc you won't ever see it anyway lol

Sounds like a risky technological venture. Now we're heading in a direction where you need a video card AND a physx card (or a hybrid card in this case)? Why don't we start chopping up the motherboard into further sub components and allow the enthusiast even more computer hardware customising?

This looks like a nice way around computers getting even bigger. Assuming that the thing doesn't consume two PCI-E slots (which it looks like it might), it removes the need for an additional physics card, which is gonna be a necessity in the near future.

The price seems reasonable enough for a release, a lot of relally high end cards are of a similar price range on release. Though, I never buy the things at that price (that's a lie, I did once, saved up a lot of pocket money)

Interesting idea but pointless nice other available cards will be considerably faster for the same or less $.. EVGA marking = FAIL

Are the days of high-end cards being north of the $500 dollar mark gone? I welcome our $300 cards, but what I miss the most is the performance that we used to get with a new card. I'd love for someone to correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no cards out today or tomorrow which can offer 3 digit FPS in Crysis yet, (1680x1050 high quality) right? And it's been that way since Crysis came out 2 years ago. (Pretty lame of the GPU boffins.)

Awesome to see some new idea's in the graphics market, I always wondered why they couldn't build PhysX into the card instead of having a separate card doing it. Good jon nvidia!, I also hope they will release 300 series co-op cards with PhysX in time with the fermi

I don't think anyone would even consider buying this, I mean it's cool and all and a good idea, but now we need cards to support DX11. The tessellation in it looks utterly amazing.

I would totally bye this if the price dropped to like $250 the very least

Seems to me there's an error in the specs posted. The 275 will run at 633MHz, while the 250 will run at 738MHz. This is in line with the standard clock speed of these chips.

I wonder how much north of $300 this will cost, though frankly I think it will not be worth buying unless its price premium over a normal 275 is very small. I think that anyone buying it will be really sorry later that they didn't wait for Fermi or bought an ATI.

@ET3D: Thanks for pointing that out, I simply posted them backward (275@738MHz and 250@633MHz), which is indeed wrong. I've corrected that in the post.

Also, I've added a preorder link and the card's MSRP ($350).

It's nvidia's way to let us know that they're still alive.
In my opinion an 250 is too much for just physx, an 220 could do the job just fine and the card would cost less and would have been more energy efficient.
Just as others said, i'm going to buy an dx11 card. i'm waiting for the prices for dx11 cards to drop a bit though.

I agree that the GTS 250 is just overkill for a Physx card, I thought Nvidia were promoting Physx on the basis that you could use a really old card to run it, with a newer and more powerful card doing the normal graphics processing.

I personally don't think that there are so many games, so intensive on the Physx part that, the price difference from a standard GTX 275 is justified. We will get, more heat, more consumption, a bigger price, for a marginal performance advantage on a few games.... Until i see some benchmarks that are showing me otherwise, i will see this product as a failed experiment.

That's not a bad price considering it has two cards in one. It would be interesting to see what level of card is needed for the PhysX portion. Maybe they're using the GTS 250 for future performance, I would imagine Nvidia did testing with different levels of hardware before deciding to go this route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back