Ex-Tesla worker says he stored Autopilot source code on his iCloud

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Not for the first time, an employee from a large US tech firm has been accused of stealing trade secrets and taking them to Chinese EV startup Xiaopeng Motors. On this occasion, the company in question is Tesla, and the data relates to its Autopilot feature.

Former Tesla employee Guangzhi Cao was sued earlier this year for allegedly stealing the data. In new court filings, he admits to accessing the company’s source code and uploading the files to a personal drive, but denies stealing sensitive information and taking it to his new employer, Xiaopeng Motors, also known as Xmotors.

Cao received an offer to work for XMotors in November 2018. The company found itself making headlines when a former Apple engineer was arrested in July last year after leaving Cupertino for the startup and taking autonomous vehicle trade secrets with him. Cao was also a senior image scientist for Apple for two years before he joined Tesla, reports The Verge.

Tesla says Cao uploaded its Autopilot-related source code to his personal iCloud account long before he left the firm, which violates the company’s policies and employee agreements. Cao's legal team claims he “made extensive efforts to delete and/or remove any such Tesla files prior to his separation from Tesla.”

Xmotors has not been accused of any illegal activities and says it “was not aware of any alleged misconduct by Mr. Cao.” Chairman He Xiaopeng said there was a normal "flow of talent" between his company and Tesla, writes Bloomberg.

Autonomous car tech isn’t the only thing US company employees have been accused of stealing and taking to China. AR headset giant Magic Leap filed a lawsuit against a former engineers for allegedly taking its technology and using it to create a copy for his Beijing-based firm.

Permalink to story.

Any one else notice a trend or nah? Libs will deny this.

You realize democrats have been clamoring to tamp down on China and the free market trade between the US and China for far longer than the republicans have been, right? Its the republicans who only just woke up to this.

Utopians and corporatists alike will deny it because they both benefit from unhindered immigration - one mostly through an increase in mob rule and the other primarily through profit. Its funny how each faction are the same, they just gain power from different directions. One grows the government and the dependent class in order to reallocate wealth (a good percentage of which goes into the accounts of the poverty pimps) and other maximizes profit for the 10% who then use that wealth to buy influence. And its the poor middle class folks who just want to be left alone in their living rooms who always pay the bill for the corruption of both groups.

A few years ago I had the chance to talk for a good while with a TSA worker assigned to a major west coast airport. He told me, with complete seriousness, that not a month goes by there without FBI or DHS guys snagging a Chinese native attempting to fly back home with a bunch of stolen intellectual property. Its a safe bet that for every one they intercept a couple more make it out.

My only question is, is it code that he worked on?
IMO, it really does not matter. It is quite common for employment agreements to explicitly state that a programmer cannot keep copies of code whether they work on it or not.
[<...>they just gain power from different directions<...>
IMO, you hit the crux of the matter with this. As I see it, as long as there is a power structure, humanity will continue to struggle; many conflicts start because the disenfranchised want what the empowered have.

....[ ]....IMO, you hit the crux of the matter with this. As I see it, as long as there is a power structure, humanity will continue to struggle; many conflicts start because the disenfranchised want what the empowered have.
Don't take this as an insult, as it isn't intended as such, but you sound more and more like Karl Marx everyday. The only difference being the chosen terminology.

"Bourgeoisie" is the equivalent of your "empowered:, while, "disenfranchised", is the equivalent of, "Proletariat".

(I've actually read "The Communist Manifesto", (Karl Marx & Frederick Engels), albeit in the distant past)

A "classless society", was the book's endgame, stated and restated constantly over the 70 some pages.

I hate to burst your Utopian bubble, but man runs on the animal nature he possesses, which has been transferred to his higher brain functions.

(Chapter 2 will be forthcoming after I feed my cats)

Last edited:
@captaincranky Likewise, don't take this as an insult. ;) Instead of wasting your time explaining to me how I am incorrect and recounting ancient history that never worked, have a look at this - http://sacred-economics.com/
I am not going to read what you write, anyway! :neutral:

PS - note the "read online" link at that site.

@captaincranky Likewise, don't take this as an insult. ;) Instead of wasting your time explaining to me how I am incorrect and recounting ancient history that never worked,
Oh no guy, Communism did work, as long as you kept the sheep's minds off of religion, (which is a fantasy borne out of ego and insecurity. And I might add, the root of all the world's problems), and had the Soviet army's "wolves", to guard.the flock.

I am not going to read what you write, anyway! :neutral:
And I can indeed picture with your hands over your ears going, "LALALALALALA". ad nauseum.

Economics follow Darwin's conclusions about survival of the fittest to a tee. And human reproduction follows suit. The trouble with that is, when you breed fat, ugly, lazy, and stupid, with like individuals, you get fatter, uglier, lazier, and stupider offspring, which the rest of the "tribe" has to lavish with "social entitlement programs". After, they're still smarter than "animals", and so deserve human consideration. So, just keep those welfare checks and food stamps coming, since in another couple of generations they'll be eating right out of your hands. (Which I might add, is liable to occur in your own dining room.

PS - note the "read online" link at that site.
Since as you so haughtily proclaimed, "I'm not going to read what you write", where on earth would you come to the pompous conclusion that your link would be read by me? Are you of such a monumental conceit that you think I have nothing worth listening to, but you carry the wisdom of the ages?

As far as selective breeding goes, meet the "Ovcharka", also known as the Caucasian Shepard, and the "Russian bear dog". The males weigh up to 200 pounds, and the Russians at one time were using them to help patrol the Berlin Wall..

Caucasian-Ovcharka-Photos.jpg

I only post this, because I find the familiar name, "bear dog", to be so ironic, in light of one of Russia's nicknames, "the Russian bear"

Last edited:
You realize democrats have been clamoring to tamp down on China and the free market trade between the US and China for far longer than the republicans have been, right? Its the republicans who only just woke up to this.

Both of you guys, and THIS is the "trend" across the Internet: people -constantly- arguing how one-or-the-other party is "better", or something, because of this and that... I can't understand, honestly, how they're unable to see that most (if not ALL) politicians are -simply- the scum of the Earth.

You're essentially letting them pull you into these STUPID, little, games that they play - in order to distract you (and confuse) from the REAL issues at hand... And, there are (always) plenty. ;) :)

It isn't something that's exclusive to the States, the same exact things are going on in other nations and parts of the world. Incompetent, immoral, corrupt people in seats of power - elected there by different interest groups, or lobbies, so that they'll serve their (real) masters and THEIR (own and, also, personal) interests - while the people are always, simply left on the sidelines (and some may profit more than the others, depending, right).

Aanyway, it really isn't rocket science, guys, you know. xF

And its the poor middle class folks who just want to be left alone in their living rooms who always pay the bill for the corruption of both groups.

[OFFTOPIC]

Yes, sure, speaking calmly - now. However, those same people will have a go at each other over the Internet, on the phone, on the street, for NO REASON whatsoever; "proving" something (to someone?!) and not having a clue how futile it is to -even- speak about it at all?!

Then, election day comes along and crafty politicians spew lies and contrived, convoluted stories and promises which can never come true... And the people, they wear their clothes, put on their shoes and go over to the voting booths - in an attempt to prevent further misery, to try and escape their anger.

However, it NEVER works. Prices keep going up, utilities get more expensive, money loses value, taxes are increased. We get to put less and less gas in our cars, take less vacations, have less luxury. At the same time, those on top are living LARGE - because we let them, literally.

Even though it may seem like it isn't so, there ARE choices which can be made. For example, there are laws which regulate what percentage of the population MUST come out to vote - in order for it to be valid and accepted. If we were to wait, filter out all of the garbage (people), ALL of the current and active politicians - for example - then, there would HAVE to be somebody else who'll come along and THEN we could vote for them. Like, really, I'm not making this up, meh - even though it's a really dumb idea. =)

^^ Of course, I could be wrong - and should anything like this ever happen, they can -quickly- change the laws... Currently, the Orange Muppet would, could (most probably?) simply declare Martial law and seize the opportunity to stay in power like a dictator (that he is ;)), who knows what would happen.

In any case, in the meantime we could (like we're already doing - I imagine along with many more millions of people) STOP purchasing their products. The whole "organic" movement, even though it's getting destroyed at every step (some example), is a good starting point... Not buying soda pop, not getting GMO foods, fast food at chains, stepping away from "consumer mentality" - using alternate (personal) modes of transportation...

Then, for example, their -evil- plans of "planned, or built-in obsolescence, programed, design obsolesce" won't even matter so much, right?.. We all have to start living defensively, the age of innocence is coming to an end - once again - and hopefully not through another WW, heh! xD

(Hope that nobody has minded this wall-of-text and thanks for reading, hehe. :))

EDIT: From the article, "Autonomous car tech [..]" is about to take-away many more MILLIONS of jobs - which we're losing to robots, in many fields; Liberal capitalism stopping for nothing, in the name of profit (they call it "progress").

And, just, what kind of impact will this have on our societies. Politicians will answer how "studies have to be made", in order to provide meaningful answers... All that, while they're filling their pockets passing laws for whoever pays most and such, right. Except, how about tomorrow? :/

Last edited:
IMO, it really does not matter. It is quite common for employment agreements to explicitly state that a programmer cannot keep copies of code whether they work on it or not.
Yes I know, considering I do it for a living :p. My point is that I have kept snippets of my code so I can reference them and remember how I did something. I do however remove anything that would be specific to company so that it ends up as a generic. My assumption with this guy is that this is not case with him.

*off-topic*

You are missing the point, that people in the Democratic party sold us to China. Those people are still there today. #walkaway

Oh no guy, Communism did work, as long as you kept the sheep's minds off of religion, (which is a fantasy borne out of ego and insecurity. And I might add, the root of all the world's problems), and had the Soviet army's "wolves", to guard.the flock.
Where you are essentially saying - it worked so long as they could maintain control. Right? So since that is still status quo for the modern world, how is it any different than what is happening now? As I see it, it is still ancient history. Authoritarian control, in any of its guises, has never worked. Most economic systems have been all about control and nothing more. And still people wonder why things are not working. Need I quote Einstein?

Economics follow Darwin's conclusions about survival of the fittest to a tee. And human reproduction follows suit. The trouble with that is, when you breed fat, ugly, lazy, and stupid, with like individuals, you get fatter, uglier, lazier, and stupider offspring, which the rest of the "tribe" has to lavish with "social entitlement programs". After, they're still smarter than "animals", and so deserve human consideration. So, just keep those welfare checks and food stamps coming, since in another couple of generations they'll be eating right out of your hands. (Which I might add, is liable to occur in your own dining room.

Since as you so haughtily proclaimed, "I'm not going to read what you write", where on earth would you come to the pompous conclusion that your link would be read by me? Are you of such a monumental conceit that you think I have nothing worth listening to, but you carry the wisdom of the ages?
No offense intended here, but if you still want to follow Einstein's statement that is your right. Your expertise in the matter seems unparalleled. If you do not want to entertain something else, that is certainly your right. I expected something like this - even if it was you're FOS like it is.

As far as selective breeding goes, meet the "Ovcharka", also known as the Caucasian Shepard, and the "Russian bear dog". The males weigh up to 200 pounds, and the Russians at one time were using them to help patrol the Berlin Wall..

Caucasian-Ovcharka-Photos.jpg

I only post this, because I find the familiar name, "bear dog", to be so ironic, in light of one of Russia's nicknames, "the Russian bear"
I bow to your absolute authority and ultimate knowledge of all things - even though we both know you posted this because of the good looking one. ;)

Where you are essentially saying - it worked so long as they could maintain control. Right? So since that is still status quo for the modern world, how is it any different than what is happening now? As I see it, it is still ancient history. Authoritarian control, in any of its guises, has never worked. Most economic systems have been all about control and nothing more. And still people wonder why things are not working. Need I quote Einstein?
Well, man is at once a sheep that needs herding, and the apex predator on the planet. More of man's behavior can be linked to the animal kingdom, than the idealistic garbage contained in the many "bibles" of the world. Religion is a monumental failure, owing to the wars waged in its honor. That coupled with the fact that it can be subverted and manipulated into whatever contextual advantages or Machiavellian intent it, "bestows on the pious".

There are only three authors who have tackled the topic of "Utopia", Plato's "Republic", Thomas Moore's "Utopia", and Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World". Pay particular attention to the fact your name wasn't mentioned.

"Brave New World" is the most recent, and its prescience makes it the most applicable to the septic tank that is today's social order. "Evolution", may not be what you want, expect, or desire it to be. Perhaps all states "evolve" to totalitarianism, a la George Orwell.

I only try to live in my own little perfect world, but it seems you have come a lot closer to that simply by virtue of, "location, location, location".Plus, you simply can't comprehend, (or refuse to), realize that our surroundings affect our view of the world. That's your operating principle and chief hypocrisy. In fact, most of the music you embrace, is even similar with respect to slow meter, and dynamic range. You don't want any sonic surprises, just lush lullabies.

No offense intended here, but if you still want to follow Einstein's statement that is your right. Your expertise in the matter seems unparalleled. If you do not want to entertain something else, that is certainly your right. I expected something like this - even if it was you're FOS like it is.
How can you even post some of your hypocrisies and idealistic pseudo philosophies,and expect me to accept them, after you've blatantly stated outright, "I'm not going to read anything you write".

As I told Mr. Cooley earlier in the day, "go find someone else you think you can talk down to". And as for your sarcasm laced horse poop that is this post, I'm telling you now, "go blow your snot on your own handkerchief".

I bow to your absolute authority and ultimate knowledge of all things - even though we both know you posted this because of the good looking one. ;)
No, her looks weren't my primary consideration. As someone familiar with photographic tricks sometimes used to exaggerate perspective, (mostly extreme wide angle lenses), I posted the shot because I felt it was not tampered with terribly in that regard, the girl and the dog were the sizes you would find them in real life.

However, the 5th grader in me wants to say, "ha, ha, made you look"..

This video is from another hottie, (an I even allowed to say that in this current pervasive climate sexual of harassment claims?), but the perspective is fairly accurate. You'll find that the ovcharkas are as goddamned big as I said they were.

If this is yet another reality you can't come face to face with, don't watch it

PS, this woman's even hotter than the last one. Make sure this missus doesn't have you on the "telescreen", sorry, I meant "nanny cam", if you decide to watch it.

Last edited:
@captaincranky Personally, I really do not care if I am in there. What I posted was not from any of those authors. Western civilization is firmly rooted in those "utopian concepts", however, they have never worked.

I am sorry you feel the way you do. I am not interested in hearing about what never worked. My choice of words was poor, yes, but I am a bit tired of listening to personal attacks, and as you reference Mr. Cooley, that seems to be your shtick with him, too. Heaven forbid someone disagrees with you - in which case, as you demonstrated with me in deleted posts, it becomes all about a personal attack. And Yes, I have had posts deleted, too!

Marxism simply never worked because its aims were to control people, not bring out the best in them. What I said may have sounded, to you, like Marxism, but what inspired that is nowhere near Marxism. I was pointing out the flaws with the "modern world." As such, in some ways, I might say, based on your comments, that Marxism, in all its fatal flaws, is alive and well in the modern world; yet, I am sure that there are those who will vehemently deny it.

What I posted has, as it roots, an indigenous influence. At least one person who came to this country before it was a separate country was completely surprised at the fact that on staying with the indigenous population, his belongings were never stolen. There were many others, including people such as Benjamin Franklin, who deeply admired the indigenous population.

I am not saying that the indigenous population was perfect - it was far from that, however, aspects of their society worked and were, IMO, superior to the European influence.

Exploitation, in many different forms, was the European way and it is part of the reason, as I see it, that we have a gigantic plastic island in the Pacific along with numerous other superfund sites. I might as well say that exploitation was a learned behavior, too. People emigrated to this country because of exploitation and other oppressive conditions, however, it seems to me that some of those immigrants became experts in employing the conditions that they ran away from. They forgot the reasons they came here.

IMO, humanity's position as the apex predator has gone to its collective head, and that, as I see it, is part of the problem.

All the best to you, Captain!

@captaincranky Personally, I really do not care if I am in there. What I posted was not from any of those authors. Western civilization is firmly rooted in those "utopian concepts", however, they have never worked.

I am sorry you feel the way you do. I am not interested in hearing about what never worked. My choice of words was poor, yes, but I am a bit tired of listening to personal attacks, and as you reference Mr. Cooley, that seems to be your shtick with him, too. Heaven forbid someone disagrees with you - in which case, as you demonstrated with me in deleted posts, it becomes all about a personal attack. And Yes, I have had posts deleted, too!

Marxism simply never worked because its aims were to control people, not bring out the best in them. What I said may have sounded, to you, like Marxism, but what inspired that is nowhere near Marxism. I was pointing out the flaws with the "modern world." As such, in some ways, I might say, based on your comments, that Marxism, in all its fatal flaws, is alive and well in the modern world; yet, I am sure that there are those who will vehemently deny it.

What I posted has, as it roots, an indigenous influence. At least one person who came to this country before it was a separate country was completely surprised at the fact that on staying with the indigenous population, his belongings were never stolen. There were many others, including people such as Benjamin Franklin, who deeply admired the indigenous population.

I am not saying that the indigenous population was perfect - it was far from that, however, aspects of their society worked and were, IMO, superior to the European influence.

Exploitation, in many different forms, was the European way and it is part of the reason, as I see it, that we have a gigantic plastic island in the Pacific along with numerous other superfund sites. I might as well say that exploitation was a learned behavior, too. People emigrated to this country because of exploitation and other oppressive conditions, however, it seems to me that some of those immigrants became experts in employing the conditions that they ran away from. They forgot the reasons they came here.

IMO, humanity's position as the apex predator has gone to its collective head, and that, as I see it, is part of the problem.

All the best to you, Captain!
This forum consists in large part, of hopeless idealists, which want things done, without the know how, the financing, or the inventions to make it work. That's someone else's job. They just want it.

I can, (or perhaps imagine I can), trace all of modern man's actions, back to the animal side of his nature. Where it gets complicated and unique to man, is when his, "higher brain functions" come into play. We make fun of the monkeys because they throw crap at one another, yet it's all to easy to find "scat porn" on the web, So, how advanced are we.really?

I've lived alone for 35+ years, without minor contact with my estrange son over that time. I do have a perspective about man and his "potential", which you can't possibly embrace being a married man. But I do see the nitty-gritty of what modern man, and modern Americans have become in my detachment .

You apparently are in a position where you, in large part, see the better side of human. I see leeches taking the last 5 dollars off of some poor addicted wh0re, who just had to go down on somebody to get the money.

My opinion of you isn't bad, it's just that you're hopelessly naive, and you absolutely refuse to believe, there are dreadful conditions in the world, which don't come close to equaling your personal Utopia. There are literally billions of people who couldn't understand your philosophies, let alone adhere to them, or build a country with them.

I try to live by the values you eschew, but I'm a small minority. I take my plastic bags back to the supermarket for recycling. When I walk out my front door, I see many times what I've returned, blowing down the street.

As far as your infatuation with indigenous peoples go, keep in mind they were for the most part small populations.

You could view their hunting parties as "wolf packs". We do celebrate Thanksgiving, the feast between the Pilgrims and the "Indians".

France celebrates "Bastille Day", a bloody carnal event.

So, my only real "contempt" or toned down a bit,"disappointment" with you, is the fact that social change requires action, not contemplation. Even the best of philosophies backfire when the man's animal nature distorts them to its own purpose The end result of Adolf Hitler's kidnapping of Nietzsche's writings should make that quite obvious.

IMO, man is not the most intelligent creature evolution has spawned, but the most violent, tawdry, filthy, and most condescending piece of sh!t to hit the planet thus far.

That's a conclusion I;'m sure you and I will never share. But you have to admit, history is on my side, at least thus far.

When revolutionaries get to power crazed, sh!t like this happens:

In 1793, she was sent to the guillotine for the assassination of Jacobin leader Jean-Paul Marat. She blamed Marat for the more extreme course the Revolution had taken. He played a large role in the takedown of the Girondins. Corday believed in the Girondins' cause.

The genocide(s) no one talks about,

The slaughter of millions of Russians by Stalin

The slaughter of the Mayas and Aztecs, brought about by the conquistadores, under the guise of "bringing the one true god to the heathens". When what it was really about was stealing their gold and bringing it back to the queen of Spain.

Wolves live in packs, man lives in villages,.when either run out of resources they die out. But when man's "wolf pack" gets too big, it becomes unstoppable, consuming everything in its path.

But as I didn't do a point by point quote of your post, I agree that Marxism is alive and well, coexisting with the bourgeois society it denounces. With enough propaganda delivered to those trapped in the Marxian thrall, Aldous Huxley had a folk axiom to justify it, "everybody's happy now".

You still should watch the second ovcharka video I put up, and for the dogs, not the girl. I like when he says, "the pups weigh a stone at about 7 weeks of age".

Last edited:
@captaincranky I think we are a lot closer in thought than your vision of me. Before I go on, I'll comment, though, that you once made an assumption about my background and that I was purely white collar. I assume that you remember what I said about that, yes? I'll remember in the future that you assume things about me that may not necessarily be true.

As I am sure you know, even in animals, they will fight the others that have food but for survival. In some cases, humans will fight each other for what the others have out of pure jealousy. The modern-day, must keep up with the Jones mentality. I say, who GsAF about what the Jones have? I don't!

Yea, I am married, but I married late at 47. Because of the deep dive I did into myself, I have no regrets about not having children. Why? Because I came to realize that I was too screwed up to raise a child to survive in this world without passing along all my screwedupness to them and because of the amount of sheer sh!t that goes on in the world.

Honestly, when I say things about modern humanity, think of me as the naked guy on the corner that no one listens to, or no one cares about, covered with the placard "Repent! The end is Nigh!" Honestly, do I think it makes a difference? No. Do I care? No. I realize I have no control over anyone other than myself; however, that does not mean that I need the pack to justify my existence. I'll go on doing what I do and exploring myself to the best of my ability even if its all for naught. And I'll keep pointing at the sh!t!

As I see it, for most people entrapped in that Marxian thrall as you say, there is only the shiny things that often cost lots of money that are hung on the end of a stick tied to their heads just enough out of reach so that most will never attain it; they see those who have gained, loosely speaking, the shiny things and then they say, "oh, look at them! See how many shiny things they have and how lucky they must be to have those shiny things!" More keep up with the Jones crap - a delusion that is part of what prevents all from realizing and attaining their true potential.

Bound by that Marxian thrall, they will go to their favorite fishing spot, take all the fish, bring them to market, reap, or should I say rape, the profit, then wonder why all the fish have disappeared from their favorite fishing spot.

All I am saying is that maybe, just maybe things can change. I don't have high hopes for it at all. Some triggers are in place - for instance - environmental cleanups including things like dam removals - but there is so much crap to clean up, I have my doubts that there is enough time before those with all the shiny things take the last bits of fish for themselves and leave everyone, including themselves, without any sustenance.

I watched the video - pretty interesting. In a way, it reminds me of the film I once watched about research into wolves. Unfortunately, I do not remember the title to it, however, there was one scene that was totally amazing to me, and I thought it might have been as a result of that trait that makes well-cared-for dogs such good pets.

In the film, the researchers had gathered a pack of wolves and had them in their camp completely unrestrained. The wolves just sat there. They could have left any time, or so it seemed, but they just sat there!

The film also reminds me of the woman with the sheltie down the street from me. She often leaves the dog outside, alone, for hours at a time. I've seen the dog bark at passing airplanes! And yes, I know, shelties are known for that type of behavior. Seems to me that that type of behavior could easily result from neglect and the wrong reasons for owning a dog.

I'll suggest that you try watching the video I posted. In many ways, it is very similar to the opinion we seem to share about the modern world, and I don't think the guy is naive. He's just another naked guy on the corner with that placard pointing to the sh!t and daring to imagine that there might be a way for humanity to dig itself out from the pile.

Back