Exeternal HDD doesn't appear in my computer

Hello.

When I try to plug in my external hdd in usb, a strage sound come from it (like clock ticking).
It doesn't appear in my computer neither in disk management. I can see it though in device manager > disk drives.

It also doesn't appear in bottom right at safely remove. After I terminate explorer and start it again it appears there too.

Another behavior is that in the past when I was trying to boot, it was blocking the procedure and wouldn't let me in unless I unplug it and restart. ( it was working afterwards if I plug it in while I am in windows).

It seems that bios dont recognize this hdd either.

The problems with this hdd started when I bought a new pc 2 months ago. I think I never had problems in my previous pc.

IS there anything I can to fix it ?
I never hit it or moved it from its position.

thank you for your time.

Sorry to say it, but the drive has failed. The clicking sound is known as the click of death. In some cases it can be fixed, but it usually involves opening the actual hard drive, which is definitely not recommended and can easily damage it further.

If the drive is still under warranty, you may be able to send it back to the manufacturer where they can recover your data and replace the drive for you.

My old external HDD sometimes makes this clicking sound, but it goes away after I connect it to a different usb port. SMART test results are ok. I can still copy/paste files to/from the drive without any problems.

You could probably pay to send it back to the manufacturer. But I'm not 100% sure. Have you connected the drive to another USB port?

Back