EXOdesk: The working man's Microsoft Surface

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ExoPC has released a teaser video for the upcoming ExoPC Interactive Desk, tentatively known as the EXOdesk. The device is a 40-inch multitouch desktop surface that is designed to work alongside, or in front of, your current PC display.

If you’re thinking the EXOdesk sounds a lot like the Microsoft Surface SUR40 that was made available for pre-order last week, you’re not far off. There is one big difference, however, and that is the price tag. ExoPC’s product is only $1299 whereas Redmond is asking a cool $8400 for their unit.

We don’t know a whole lot about the EXOdesk just yet other than what we can gather from the teaser video. In the clip, we see a few custom wallpapers and a user launching apps from a personalized app launcher that can be moved to either side of the desk.

The user is then able to swipe from the left edge of the screen to reveal a timeline that shows various things like RSS feeds, tweets, alerts and what appears to be either recently-visited websites or bookmarks. Swiping each tab to the left removes the menu item from the list.

Next we see our demo leader swipe down from the top to reveal an expandable row of apps. He taps on one and a full-screen interactive piano is ready to play.

The clip ends here by revealing a 2012 launch window and the aforementioned price of $1299. We expect to see more of ExoPC’s EXOdesk at CES 2012 in January.

Permalink to story.

This type of tech was availabe in 2001 or so, Apple had a version of it.
Nice to see its finally coming to mainstream users.

I can't imagine what Uncle Sam is using now to spy on us!

It looks okay. I have a couple of problems with it.

I am a keyboard player, so I was interested when I noticed the grand piano. However, playing the keys on such a device can't be that much fun. There is no way to get velocity sensitivity, to be sure, so you're relegated to using some ancillary control to change velocity.

The other problem is that you are looking DOWN all the time. My neck would end up with a major dent in it after having been sitting there for about five minutes.

Finally, $1295? Seriously. I can get a nicer MIDI keyboard for less than half that, with REAL keys and REAL controls on it. I know, I know... it looks like Hitman: Silent Assassin and all of that, but geez! Who is going to shell out that kind of cash?

Not me, for certain...

i sure would it looks like something cool to play around with and yea you are correct in your opinions but for some the surface is comfortable and the neck dilemma you mentioned is here to stay for anything from a laptop to cell phones there has been reports of neck injury from keeping your head at that angle for a period of time but like i said before i would buy this if i don't like it i'm pretty sure my tech hungry sister would love it as a gift

Back