Explorer.exe crashes when volume is changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyromaster114

I have here a toshiba M700 tablet running Windows Vista Ultimate... probably not relevant, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

Now, every time I change the volume via the little wheel control knob on the front, explorer.exe crashes horribly.

It's getting really annoying, so much to the point where I'm considering wiping the whole thing and reloading windows vista to see if it fixes the problem.

Here's the error message it gives:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 12/6/2008 10:43:30 AM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: YUKI
Description:
The program explorer.exe version 6.0.6001.18000 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 10ac Start Time: 01c957c1b1a3b390 Termination Time: 0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-12-06T16:43:30.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>7199</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>YUKI</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>explorer.exe</Data>
<Data>6.0.6001.18000</Data>
<Data>10ac</Data>
<Data>01c957c1b1a3b390</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Binary>430072006F00730073002D00700072006F00630065007300730000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Your specs say Windows XP, but the app hang is reading like Vista. And you are directed to check Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel.

It IS running vista currently, as it's not listed in the system specs cause there's only room for 2 computers apparently.
I'll edit the first post to be more clear...

And there isn't any useful information in the Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel... if there was I wouldn't come running over here and bug everyone with a silly problem, that would be stupid no?

Anyways, a friend said that since this happens when I change the volume, and the volume control is in fact a non-standard keyboard input, like the FN keys, it has something to do with the driver/software governing it. In Toshiba's case, this would be the FlashCards software that works with the FN keys.

I have ensured that the FlashCards software is started, and that appears to help with the crashing. Crashed once again but I think that was unrelated.

It serves no purpose to get put out with me. I can only deal with the information I see, and I only see Windows XP. If you ask a question about any computer that is NOT in the specs, then you need to tell us that.

And there isn't any useful information in the Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel... if there was I wouldn't come running over here and bug everyone with a silly problem, that would be stupid no?
You didn't mention checking that area and I'm not a mind reader and not everyone knows that section even exists.

I suggest you check the Device Manager for errors with the drivers. Update if needed. Of course, you already know how to access the Device Manager and check for errors.

Alright, well in any case, my earlier proposed fix to the problem apparently doesn't work... it still crashes occasionally for no apparent reason. Same error.

I suppose I've only found part of the problem. I'm checking if there's any updates for Toshiba's Flash Card software, we'll see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back