Expresscard video card for MacBook Pro

I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display I just bought with my 2011 17" MacBook Pro. It looks and works great on the Mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt connection.

I have two 28" 1920x1200 displays I would like to use as well. I bought some USB devices (one per display) to support these, and it worked okay the first time. I closed the lid on the laptop, it suspended, and when I opened it neither USB-driven display came on. Then one did, then it got mangled and I cannot see anything even though it is on. The other is still black. Also, just moving windows the performance is really bad with artifacts trailing behind the window until it catches up.

Since the USB video adapters are garbage, I am thinking something that plugs into the Expresscard/34 slot would be the ticket. I have found external enclosures and you can buy any video card to go in them, but I cannot find any OSX 10.6 drivers for those cards (all top out on the old IBM/Motorolla chip and OSX 10.4).

Are there any Expresscard/34 products that will drive two 1920x1200 displays? Or are there any OSX 10.6-capable video cards out there I could put into one of those external cases?

My goal is:
1) Internal 17" display on laptop
2) Apple 27" Cinema Display
3) Two 28" 1920x1200 displays

Can anyone help? It is a shame the internal video card from ATI is so powerful and you can only connect one external display. As cool as they make Thunderbolt sound, it seems no one has built any products around it so for the foreseeable future it is worthless.

Back