External Harddrive not showing up (mapping?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Western Digital 500GB external hard drive (USB) that used to work just fine. The hard drive still seems to work just fine and my PC (WinXP) works fine as well. For some reason, the drive no longer appears in my My Computer list of mapped drives. However!!! If I right click a drive and choose properties it shows me a list of all disk drives and the external IS included in this list (listed as WD). I have tried unplugging and replugging it in to redetect or what have you. Suggestions? Anyone? I feel like I'm missing an easy solution.

If you have a Mapped Network drive, disconnect it.

Reboot

If drive now shows up correctly then get back for fix.

mike

Alright, it cleaned out 25 USB drives... Nice. I rebooted, waited for the reboot to finish, then plugged in the external. It said it detected a new mass storage device, installed it, said my new device was ready to be used, and it's not listed as a drive in My Computer (but still comes up when I right click and go to properties). I do not have any mapped drives. The cleanup felt like I was on the right track since it triggered the whole reinstall.

It does not have a drive letter as far as I can tell, where can I assign or check for one?

Disk management... I'm not positive where you mean, I can go in device manager and it tells me the WD (western digital) drive is working properly and so forth.

It doesn't list my DVD/CD drives but I have two, also I have a number of card reading drives (it's not listing those if it's supposed to...)

You really do need to walk through the steps/information in this guide. Just ask if you need more info/don't understand something or any of its directions. (besides, that feedback will also help me continue to improve it for readability :) )

In fact, you should see Part 2 in the guide. Follow instructions to check if Windows is hiding your disk drive. If not, then please start Initial Troubleshooting in Part 1 and report back

Ok, perhaps I've hit the problem...

When I go to the properties of the drives (right clicking on the drives in My Computer), Hardware Properties, I click on the WD drive (which shows up there just fine), then I go to the Volumes tab and click Populate... Under "Status" it says "Unreadable"... So is the external the problem and not the PC? Is there any saving this situation?

Ryanh221

There are many possible different reasons you are having your problem. And, fact is, the problem you see could be the after effect of a different problem which occurs at some point much earlier then where you see it.

You keep doing your own thing and asking for help. The help is really to follow the steps in the Guide so you start verifying at the BEGINING and then verify step-by-step as to what's happening and at which point along the way you first note a failure.

THEN we can better help tell you the problem and how to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back