Extreme ping fluctuation

(As some context I live in france)

So recently (about 2 weeks ago) I started getting this ping fluctuation, it was a day night thing, before the fluctuation I would get about 20ms in games but when it started I had a lower average ping of about 10-15ms but ever 5 seconds I would spike at about 1000ms the only time when it’s okay is around midnight-5am, I live in a house with my parents as I’m still quite young but that shouldn’t be an issue as even on days when they aren’t here I still get ping fluctuation, though less extreme I still get it.
Although I know a lot about computers I know virtually nothing about networking.

At first I was recommended (on a discord server) to restart my router, change my DNS server and contact my ISP, I’m trying to avoid the last step as my ISP has useless support.

I’ve seen another thread like this one but I barely understand anything on it

Some mentions: I’m with the French ISP « Free », the router is provided by them, I am connected to a WiFi range extender and I am on a wireless network and not through Ethernet.

I would almost bet on it that the ISP has a capacity issue by that description. Contact the ISP and describe exactly what you said above. They are probably oversubscribed in your area.

Get a Command Prompt window and enter

pathping $some$faulty$domainName >myPings.txt​

pick a site that you see these fluctuations and use its domain name
It typically takes about 3 minutes for the test to complete and when it does, then look at the results with NOTEPAD myPings.txt or WORDPAD myPings.txt

Either way, SELECT ALL contents, COPY and then come pack here and PASTE what you find as your reply.

Back