1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Facebook is voted the least-trusted tech company

By midian182 · 9 replies
Dec 27, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Consumer research company Toluna surveyed 1000 people earlier this month to discover which tech companies they distrust the most with their information. Topping the list was Facebook, which took a massive 40 percent of the vote. Both Twitter and Amazon, which came equal second, were on just 8 percent each.

Uber, which previously had a reputation for using unethical business practices such as the Greyball program, came fourth. And despite the Google+ data breach, only 6 percent of participants said they distrusted the tech giant. Netflix came away cleanest, with less than 1 percent of those surveyed saying they didn’t trust the streaming service with their data.

Facebook’s position at the top was pretty much expected. The company has had what is undoubtedly its worse year since inception. Cambridge Analytica, data sharing with Chinese manufacturers, breaches, exposing user photos, and special arrangements with firms including Spotify and Netflix have seen more users leaving, all while damaging the public’s perception of the firm.

Facebook’s scandal-filled 2018 has seen its stock price fall from around $180 to $124—its lowest point this year. As a result, around $15 billion has been wiped from Mark Zuckerberg’s net worth, which is more than anyone else on Bloomberg’s top 500 rich list.

Permalink to story.

2. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Guru Posts: 607   +397

What bothers me more than anything is all the questionable data I've moved via Facebook messenger to women I've dated.

Most men reading this - and even women reading this have sent some very risky materials over messenger.

I've had 3 girlfriends since starting on Facebook and the pics we've traded are really, really, secretive. LOL

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 4,872   +3,311

Shocking! Absolutely Shocking!!! Next thing you know Trump will brand himself as a tech company just so he can beat Facebook ........

Clamyboy74 likes this.
  4. OutlawCecil

OutlawCecil TS Guru Posts: 594   +434

Yeah big shock. the biggest companies are also the most distrusted... because they're the biggest and most known...

Side note: I trust the Facebook website but not the Facebook app. The app requires a long list of permissions for things obviously not related to the functionality of the app. There's been tons of reports on that.

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,208   +4,873

I personally don't trust any of them equally.

senketsu and JaredTheDragon like this.
  6. OutlawCecil

OutlawCecil TS Guru Posts: 594   +434

just want to point out this is known as paranoia. Everybody's out to abuse your information. :)

7. ckm88

ckm88 TS Enthusiast Posts: 62   +37

It doesn't matter that Facebook is #1. What matters is all the companies listed and many more are all guilty lol.

8. cliffordcooley

There is nothing paranoid about protecting yourself from the inevitable truth. Whether your information is given, sold, or hacked, it is best to minimize the amount of loss. None of them can be trusted to fully secure your information. And to be honest it is unrealistic to expect it from them.

senketsu likes this.
  9. cliffordcooley

Correct - no one

10. If your average person on the street knew what Google was doing, they'd be battling with Facebook for least trustworthy. Google is just more quiet about it. Facebook had the leaks.