Facebook, twitter, media player and antivirus troubleshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

emphoenix46

I can't access my facebook. Facebook homepage appears but when I'm logging in, all i can see is a blank page. I can't read my inbox, view my friends, upload pics and stuff. I tried to open twitter, too, but it said i have to re-enable jave script in my web browser (Internet Explorer) but it's already enabled and nothing happened. I even upgraded java to its latest version but nothing happened. But besides the two, I can open other websites. Also, my windows media player, windows sidebar and macafee antivirus is not working. I keep clicking on them to open but nothing appears. My OS is Windows Vista. Could you please tell me what to do?

You're posting in the Virus and Malware Removal forum. If you would like help, please follow the steps HERE.

When finished, attach the logs for Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

And PASTE the log from HijackThis- all in your next reply.

The logs will be reviewed and we will help with any malware found.

Here are the things you needed...

I can't paste the HJT log. It said: The text that you have entered is too long (11732 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long. I already have the three files here but I can't attach them.

Anyway, during the 8-step process:
My mcafee is not working so I can't turn it off (I assumed it already is). I downloaded avast and after scanning I turned it off. I followed the steps precisely. I hope you can find what's wrong here. Thanks.

Please attach the logs using the Attach button (located in the New Reply Toolbar) which looks like this >
attach.gif

New Members may have issues pasting in HJT logs due to URL links in the logs (plus obviously the size of the log)

The attach button

I cannot click the attach button or that paperclip image. Also the other buttons... like bold, italic, underline, etc. I can't click on 'em. They're not functioning.

Still, no progress. :( I did it manually and I tried regsvr32 vbscript.dll and it said: The module "vbscript.dll" was loaded but the call to Dll RegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005.

My god, its a mess :D

Just by chance can you use another computer (maybe the one you are on) to get the logs (ie using a flash drive) then attach them here?
If not, then its very difficult without the logs, to say do this or do that, without knowing anything about your file system (we do know its Vista at this point at least)

We could do an online scan, but that may fault as well
What about Safe Mode with Networking? Does that work?

Edit:
Here's info on that new error: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295297

OK. I'll try transferring the files using a flashdrive to another PC and then send it to you. :) I hope this works this time. Safe mode does not work, too.

You have two Antiviruses installed: :confused:
  • Avast!
  • McAfee

Honestly with the Windows faults plus Malware (and now 2 Antivirus softwares installed) I recommend clean install
I really don't think this is all worth the trouble of "cleaning" your computer, then running a "Repair" Then seeing what else is wrong (Because there will be more stuff, I'm sure)

Backup, and clean install
Also try free Avira Antivirus, that's what I use and all is well :)

emphoenix46, I'll try to work with you and find the problem if you'd like:

You don't have to turn the AV program off to run those 3 programs. A lot of people seem to misunderstand that step. Maybe the writers can clarify it.But you should only run one antivirus program. Running multiple AV programs can cause a conflict which can actually leave a system more vulnerable.
IT can also slow a system down:

As mentioned, you have both McAfee and Avast. Since McAfee is a paid program, you might want to consider keeping it and removing the free Avast. This is based on IF McAfee is updating and your subscription is currently paid. If it is not, then remove either one. (this does NOT refer to the fact that a few system processes aren't working now.)

Here are some tools that will help will the removal: Download the one for the program you do NOT want to keep and save it to your desktop:
Note:Security programs are best removed while in Safe Mode. After downloading and saving the removal tool:
Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

Double click on the removal tool you saved and run it.
When installed, update right away.

The reason your HijackThis log is so long is because you have many processes loading when you boot, then continuing to run in the background. You might want to consider taking these programs off of the startup and even uninstalling those you don't use.

Some examples of programs that do not need to start on boot are:
Dell preloads a lot of their proprietary processes before shipping the computer. Many users don't realize this and most don't use them. Dell puts them all on startup> none need to start on boot: You can find a description of each by clicking on the same name on The Software Informer site
Dell WebCam> #12
Dell Support Center> #13
Dell Video Chat> #14
DellDock>> #10

These you should leave if you're using the touchpad on the laptop. They all belong to the Apls/Appoint Utility for the touchpad.
DellTPad\ApMsgFwd.exe
DellTPad\HidFind.exe
DellTPad\Apntex.exe

You have numerous processes loading for this: Do you know what it is and use it?
Conduit Toolbar: http://www.conduit.com/Toolbar/Benefits.aspx
{930f1200-f5f1-4870-bac6-e233ec8e7023} - C:\Program Files\Softonic_English\tbSoft.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file) - C:\Program Files\Softonic_English\tbSoft.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Softonic English Toolbar - {930f1200-f5f1-4870-bac6-e233ec8e7023} - C:\Program Files\Softonic_English\tbSoft.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Softonic English Toolbar - {930f1200-f5f1-4870-bac6-e233ec8e7023} - C:\Program Files\Softonic_English\tbSoft.dll

You have a Service running for remote help, but you are here in our free forum instead. IF you use this Services, then it needs to start automatically. IF you don't, it can be disabled and removed.
O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\g2aservice.exe

These are all optional however. If you would like to stop them from starting on boot and running in the background, please let me know and I will tell you how to handle the entries.

Then I'd like you to check the Event Viewer for any Error that corresponds to the messages you're getting:

Please see the path for Vista and screen shots for Vista HERE.
Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

You will be doing the following- just follow the path shown for Vista:
Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
[1]. Click to open the log>
[2]. Look for the Error>
[3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
[4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
[5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
[6].NOTES
  • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
  • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back