Facebook's latest diversity report is nearly identical to last year's

Shawn Knight

Staff member

facebook social network diversity report

While the lack of diversity in your News Feed is on you, it’s the social network that’s to blame for its lack of workplace diversity. For the second year in a row, Facebook revealed a workplace diversity report that’s largely dominated by white males.

Looking at the big picture, we see 68 percent of employees are male and 55 percent are white. That’s down from 69 and 57 percent, respectively, compared to last year – what Facebook calls positive but modest change.

Asians make up the second biggest ethnic group at Facebook at 36 percent. After that, there’s a huge drop-off down to just four percent identifying as Hispanic.

The figures are skewed even more when looking at senior leadership. In this category, 73 percent of positions are held by whites while 21 percent are Asian. Hispanic, mixed race, blacks and “other” make up the remaining six percent of leadership roles.

In terms of global gender, men hold 84 percent of tech-related jobs at Facebook, down from 85 percent last year, and 77 percent of senior leadership jobs which is the exact same as a year ago. It’s only in the non-tech job category that women narrowly edge out men at 52 percent.

Facebook said it is clear that they still aren’t where they want to be in terms of workplace diversity. To help get there, the social network is testing a number of new approaches including reworking its managing bias training course and providing the opportunity for those in their early college careers to learn both the soft and hard skills to be successful at Facebook.

Image courtesy Jonathan Nackstrand, Getty Images

Permalink to story.

Dumb Facebook,.... just fire 10% of your capable staff, so for the money saved you can hire 10 times as many monkeys + donkeys, and your diversity check-list is stellar!

And if the boat starts turning over, you will also have plenty to throw overboard without making hard choices.

P.S. Can't help it, but in my head diversity rings with idiocy. Incompetence is the new professionalism? Get me outta here...!

Last edited:
I still don't see the point of this aside from forcing companies to hire people who are not as good at the job. Unless things have changed these numbers almost exactly match the numbers of people who studied and graduated in tech which means (to me at least) that they are hiring perfectly fine and unless you get more minorities and women to study in tech the numbers won't really change unless you hire people just to have "better" looking numbers.

@ Camikazi : I agree one hundred percent. As a company owner, I hire based on experience and whether or not I perceive them as a leader during the interview. Hiring based on gender or skin color should be illegal. These diversity reports are ridiculous.

Back