Facebook's new policy: Ban white nationalism and separatism

David Matthews

Staff member
What just happened? Social media has simultaneously been one of the greatest and worst things about the internet. While it allows friends and family to communicate across the world, it can also be a place of hate and extremism. Facebook announced a major policy change that will ban white nationalist and separatist content on the platform. This is yet another attempt to stem what it considers hateful content from promulgating throughout Facebook.

To combat hate speech, Facebook has announced that it's looking to clamp down on white nationalism and white separatism on its own platform starting next week.

In practical terms, this means that Facebook will ban any "praise, support, and representation of white nationalism and separatism" on the platform once the policy goes into effect. Searching for terms that are generally associated with white nationalism or separatism like "Heil Hitler" will be prohibited and instead will link to the Life After Hate organization which provides educational resources and support for ex-white supremacists.

Our policies have long prohibited hateful treatment of people based on characteristics such as race, ethnicity or religion — and that has always included white supremacy. We didn’t originally apply the same rationale to expressions of white nationalism and separatism because we were thinking about broader concepts of nationalism and separatism — things like American pride and Basque separatism, which are an important part of people’s identity.

But over the past three months our conversations with members of civil society and academics who are experts in race relations around the world have confirmed that white nationalism and separatism cannot be meaningfully separated from white supremacy and organized hate groups. Our own review of hate figures and organizations – as defined by our Dangerous Individuals & Organizations policy – further revealed the overlap between white nationalism and separatism and white supremacy. Going forward, while people will still be able to demonstrate pride in their ethnic heritage, we will not tolerate praise or support for white nationalism and separatism.

While Facebook has always banned hate speech against protected classes such as race, religion, or ethnicity, it didn't apply the same standard to white nationalism and separatism because broad concepts like nationalism instill a sense of pride in some people. However, Facebook noted that after having conversations with experts in race relations that white nationalism in particular "cannot be meaningfully separated from white supremacy and organized hate groups."

This announcement will likely ruffle the feathers of many who disagree with censoring any kind of content regardless of how objectionable they are. Many political conservatives already accuse Facebook and Twitter of censoring conservative voices with President Trump tweeting #StopTheBias last week. However, after reports that the New Zealand shooter live-streamed the event, Facebook is trying to prevent similar content from flourishing on the platform.

Facebook acknowledged that there will be people who try to "game" the system once the policy goes into effect. While explicit support for white nationalism will be banned, more subtle and coded phrases will not due to how hard it is to detect the nuances.

As with any attempt by social media platforms to regulate hateful content, the question always comes down to what exactly constitutes hate? How do you distinguish between white nationalism and someone simply expressing pride in being American, German or Scottish? Is it fair to target white nationalism but not other races that use similar speech?

While those questions remain to be answered, Facebook seems up to the challenge.

"Our challenge is to stay ahead by continuing to improve our technologies, evolve our policies and work with experts who can bolster our own efforts. We are deeply committed and will share updates as this process moves forward."

Permalink to story.

That doesn't sound racist at all. Oh wait, I forgot, you can't be racist to white people /sarcasm

Considering there are a lot of sensitive people that want speech that they don't agree with banned, this is not a good step to go in as a whole...

That doesn't sound racist at all. Oh wait, I forgot, you can't be racist to white people /sarcasm

Considering there are a lot of sensitive people that want speech that they don't agree with banned, this is not a good step to go in as a whole...

I'm sure if Hitler and the Nazis existed today, you'd have a contingency of people arguing for their rights to free speech as well.

But let me help ya there: FACEBOOK ISN'T CONGRESS. YOUTUBE ISN'T CONGRESS. TWITTER ISN'T CONGRESS.

The first amendment says": "Congress shall make no law".

These private companies that have enticed people to use their services are private.

Furthermore, Considering the number of self-proclaimed "white nationalists" (read: RACISTS) who have decided to use Social Media to not only spread hatespeech, but to entice others to commit acts of violence - or did it themselves...

Let me simply say it like this:

I support "the internet's" right to eliminate antisemitic, racist, islamphobic and other forms of hatespeech when and where it pleases.

Have a nice day.

I'm sure if Hitler and the Nazis existed today, you'd have a contingency of people arguing for their rights to free speech as well.

But let me help ya there: FACEBOOK ISN'T CONGRESS. YOUTUBE ISN'T CONGRESS. TWITTER ISN'T CONGRESS.

These private companies that have enticed people to use their services are private.

Furthermore, Considering the number of self-proclaimed "white nationalists" (read: RACISTS) who have decided to use Social Media to not only spread hatespeech, but to entice others to commit acts of violence - or did it themselves...

I support "the internet's" right to eliminate antisemitic, racist, islamphobic and other forms of hatespeech when and where it pleases.

Have a nice day.
Wow, where did I imply any of that. Nice strawmans.
But hey, my points are that this sounds racist (as it specifically only targets a race as written) and sounds pushed forward by sensitive people (some of which already use "hate speech" as an excuse to sensor people)...

I've always found people, regardless of the race, who obsessed about belonging to a group, to be very weak minded people, low self esteem people, who need to feel like they belong to something. It's like a natural reaction when someone is that weak minded. The more rigid the group the better.

I've always found people, regardless of the race, who obsessed about belonging to a group, to be very weak minded people, low self esteem people, who need to feel like they belong to something. It's like a natural reaction when someone is that weak minded. The more rigid the group the better.

And now we have the internet to bring the weak and lonely together in network groups.

Even internet dating services to allow incels to procreate.

Darwin would NOT be happy about this.

Facebook is a is a "latrine", (AKA "Sh!t hole"), that keeps digging itself deeper and deeper.

If they continue to recruit and exclusively pander to snowflake SJWs, they'll have to move their servers to Antarctica.

Am I being figurative or literal, you might wonder? Actually I'm not sure. Y'all make the call

Nah, dude. Iceland. Isn't that where all the now-broke video card cryptominers went to get free air conditioning? If Iceland has decent squatters rights laws, there should be a lot of well-ventilated shacks there.

If I had a forum I'd ban all the racism, including XX only dating sites ads etc... Everyone would be pissed off, it would be epic.

Like this.... replace the word black with white.... and well you get the point...

https://www.ebonyflirt.com/black-christians-dating.html

The double standard only divides us... That and major news networks\politicians preying on us for ratings. Once it was the Irish being picked on, asians, italians, pollocks on and on and on. It's like those crappy teenage dramas they rehash for next new generation over and over.

Like these guys forgot what century were in and bashed some new politician for being Irish? lol so strange
https://video.foxnews.com/v/6015069615001/#sp=show-clips

p.s. Jesus was Jewish think about that for awhile...

2 wrongs dont make a right, just because you observe racism does not give the excuse to be racist

Last edited:
This is rich. The same people who supported companies' rights to discriminate against gays, lesbians etc... are now up in arms that some other companies won't provide racists with free forums to spew hate!

So we can expect the Nation of Islam (black nationalists/terrorists) , CAIR (US front group for HAMAS), La Raca (Hispanic supremacists) and similar groups to get the boot from Facebook as well, right? If its really about racism and hate..right?

(some of which already use "hate speech" as an excuse to sensor people)...

YEAH?

It's an excuse to censor RACISTS.

How many more church shootings do we need to have?

A Black church in South Carolina.
A Jewish Temple in PA.
A Mosque in NZ.

All done by White male terrorists who self identified as nationalists.

Then you should ban all Muslim posts, if that is the bar.

YEAH?

A Jewish Temple in PA.
A Mosque in NZ.

And how many suicide bombers have the "White supremacists" produced? And let's not forget the "White supremacists", who took down the World Trade Center.. Perhaps we should honor the "White supremacists" who bombed the London subway system. Or give full military honors to the "White supremacist Taliban" for their excellence in crafting improvised explosive devices, which do such a fine job of blowing American soldiers apart. Whaddya think?

I think it would be better for you to concentrate, or rather expand, your narrow minded but considerable insights to either "the big picture", or go screw around with Visual C+.

You seem to suffer from a conveniently "selective memory".

Last edited:
(some of which already use "hate speech" as an excuse to sensor people)...

YEAH?

A Jewish Temple in PA.
A Mosque in NZ.

Article 7 - HAMAS Charter
"The day of judgement will not come about until Muslims fight Jews and kill them. Then the Jews will hide behind rocks and trees, and the rocks will cry out: 'O Muslim, there is a Jew hiding behind me, come and kill him."

Have a nice day.
Maybe Hitler became so popular because the *** press was engaged in same behavior they are doing now. Really makes you think.

I think we all know that only white people are racist, only white people spew hatred . If you believe facebook and the media. Truth is , we"re the only race allowed to be attacked , hated and threatened by anyone that wants to and if we dare try to explain our point of view or the double standards. They call us racist. Go ahead and call me racist when the family in front of me at the grocery store has 2 carts full , pays with EBT and doesn't speak English. It's ok when football players kneel during the National Anthem but it wasn't ok for Tebow to kneel to pray. It's ok for people to threaten Barron Trump ... how fast would someone be in jail if those same threats were made against Obama's girls ? But what do I know ? I'm a white , Christian woman from the South.

So why ban only white nationalism, why not ban all nationalism? Is Facebook gonna ban itself for being racist?

So why ban only white nationalism, why not ban all nationalism? Is Facebook gonna ban itself for being racist?
Now you're just being silly. Zuckie has to support himself in the manner to which he has become accustomed. Which is by way of farming the personal information of racists, terrorists, infantile uniformed SJWs with naught but imaginary causes, along with malcontents, homophobes whiners, whimperers, and dissidents of all races, creeds, or national origins. He's an equal opportunity leech.

Last edited:
I think we all know that only white people are racist, only white people spew hatred . If you believe facebook and the media. Truth is , we"re the only race allowed to be attacked , hated and threatened by anyone that wants to and if we dare try to explain our point of view or the double standards. They call us racist. Go ahead and call me racist when the family in front of me at the grocery store has 2 carts full , pays with EBT and doesn't speak English. It's ok when football players kneel during the National Anthem but it wasn't ok for Tebow to kneel to pray. It's ok for people to threaten Barron Trump ... how fast would someone be in jail if those same threats were made against Obama's girls ? But what do I know ? I'm a white , Christian woman from the South.
1. Illegal aliens do not qualify for gov assistance.
https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/snap-policy-non-citizen-eligibility
2. No one cared about Tebow praying.
3. People have threatened every US president ever. Generally in society it is more frowned upon to threaten 5-6 year old girls then it is a grown man.
4. Christopher Columbus was an Italian who got funded by the queen of Spain. All of his Journals were written in Spanish. He couldn't speak English. Why would you hate a language that's just weird.
5. Yes the loving christian.....
Deuteronomy 22:28-29 New International Version (NIV)
28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekelsa]">[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Marriage for life, poor guy /jokes

Last edited:
1. Illegal aliens do not qualify for gov assistance.
https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/snap-policy-non-citizen-eligibility
2. No one cared about Tebow praying.
3. People have threatened every US president ever. Generally in society it is more frowned upon to threaten 5-6 year old girls then it is a grown man.
4. Christopher Columbus was an Italian who got funded by the queen of Spain. All of his Journals were written in Spanish. He couldn't speak English. Why would you hate a language that's just weird.
5. Yes the loving christian.....
Deuteronomy 22:28-29 New International Version (NIV)
28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekelsa]">[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Marriage for life, poor guy /jokes
In all honesty, all you're doing is cherry picking the utter bare bones of facts Either that, or you didn't learn squat in American history class.

First off, have you ever heard of a "sanctuary city". These locales are flying in the face of federal law, to begin with. But more importantly, most of the Hispanics I've met, are far more industrious than hoards of inner city blacks, who do qualify for assistance. The fact is that they can't stroll into a welfare office, but the conditions they are fleeing, and the potential for earning are better in the US even without public assistance. Hence a vast majority get jobs, form cottage industries, and what have you.

As I've said many times, I live in "the hood, and many to most of the males on "da block" have no other source of income,but dealing hard drugs. In fact, I had officials on government task forces, attempt to give the young scoundrels jobs, to absolutely no avail.

As for "every president being threatened", you completely failed to notice the poster wasn't talking about "The Donald", she was talking about his youngest son "Barron".

AFAIK
, Christopher Colombus didn't actually discover "America", his initial landing occurred in what we now call, "the West Indies", which is an island chain well south of Florida. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Indies

In point of fact, our northern most continental areas were originally settled by English religious refugees, the Puritans. You know, (possibly) or may have heard of in passing of-, "The Mayflower", "Plymouth Rock", the first 'Thanksgiving" with the Indians.

As far as that dogma from the Bible goes, people of over zealous faith took it way too much to heart back in the day. Perhaps you've may have also heard of, "The Salem Witch Trials", or branding young harlots with a scarlet letter Although it must be said, there are many people in this day and age, who live their lives in total submission to the "word of God, Alla, or whomever", to discount religion as a primary motivating force around the globe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_Letter

Anyway, the South West was taken off the Spanish, via warfare. Hence why there are so many Spanish names in its political geography. IMO, the illegal aliens at our southern border, are trying to take the region back in the name of mother Spain, one overcrowded apartment at a time.

On other news, while the USA has been cobbled together buy one hook, crook, and Louisiana Purchase at a time, it is still a primarily English based culture, which radiated outward from the 13 original colonies of England.

What baffles me is, why people who are ostensibly fleeing their own cultures and conditions, prefer to attempt to reestablish it here, instead of working themselves into the predominantly English culture in which they seek asylum...

In simpler terms, you hated it where you were, why do you want to turn this place, into your former "land of oppression"?

As people often point out, all minorities have struck upon hard times and various difficulties, upon entering the US. But, those original "minorities", have also adopted existing ways, means, and the laws of the US. I don't give it a second thought if someone is Polish, Irish, Italian, French, or what have you they're all "native Americans" to me..

But, blacks are never going to let you forget they were brought here against their will, no matter how far their success carries them into American society..

In fact, you can't even get many football black players who are being paid millions of dollars to accept their good fortune and personal achievements, and stand up to honor their country's flag, even if it's only to promote the spectacle.

I mean damn, way back when, it is alleged that gladiators in the arena would stand up in front of their emperor and say, "Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant". (But only heaven knows, that could a bunch of bullsh!t, or a one time gesture. You know how stories are prone to changing over time. Take the one you're telling as an example).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ave_Imperator,_morituri_te_salutant

Last edited:
So we don't care about Facebook 'cuz we're too cool, but still need to complain about it? Man, can someone just give me the Cliff Notes for this?

OK, then I'm assuming that there'll be a blackFacebook popping up somewhere soon for all the whiteflakes to share their tales of oppression and fighting The Man?

This is rich. The same people who supported companies' rights to discriminate against gays, lesbians etc... are now up in arms that some other companies won't provide racists with free forums to spew hate!
I bet your comment is lost on those you speak of, and those you speak of are completely unaware of all the other things fakebook has recently banned that fall well outside of the subject covered here.

@David Matthews
Perhaps it might have been relevant to include some mention of what was covered in this article ( https://mashable.com/article/facebook-removes-russia-ira-macedonia-kosovo-accounts/ ) a couple of days ago since so many here seem to think that this is a targeted attack on a political viewpoint.

Back