Failed to boot, 1 long and 3 short beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty9231

Hi,

I don't really know in which category this belongs, so I've put it in General:

What is the problem?
My friend has a problem with his computer. Everytime he tries to boot his PC, the screen remains black, and his computer beeps:

1 long, 3 short beeps
after that, it keeps repeating a short beep.

We searched on the internet for this beep code, and found that it could be a RAM or EGA problem.
However it gives the same beep code without a videocard, and we thought that it should just boot with the onboard chipset.
We also tried removing the RAM sticks, 1 by 1, both, or switching them, without any luck.

When did it happen?
We were at a Lanparty, with 6 people. at the time, we were with 5 and the 6th had yet to arrive.
When he did, he plugged his laptop in, and my friend's computer just died, but all other PC's stayed on.
A thing to mention is that we were all plugged into the same socket. And, that socket was not grounded.

His Hardware:
Videocard: Ati Radeon HD4850 512MB
Motherboard: Asus P5QL SE
RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 (Mhz unknown)

We would appreciate any help,

Marty

If you can, I'd suggest getting some more RAM and testing it.. If it's still giving you the 1 long and 2/3 short beeps then it could have blown your motherboard..

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm < Asus Award Beep Codes

Lists the 1 long 2 short as a video issue, and a continueing beep as a RAM issue, so if your getting both then I'd say either the boards gone and it can't read anything, or it just blew out both... I'd say it's best to get it tested at a shop where they have parts they can test on it.. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the quick reply,
We will test it with some RAM that is known to work, and see if it still beeps.
If it does we will take it to a store for extensive testing.

Hoping it's not the Mobo....

Thanks,
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back