Failure to run Windows 98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

I have a problem in that I need to install Windows98se temporarily as dual boot on a fairly new PC. There are at least two problems preventing a proper startup.

First because there is 2Gb memory, Win98 would not start, and I found that additions to System.ini of MaxPhysPage=30000 and MaxfileCache=400000 gets round that - on a normal boot. However, System.ini does not apply when trying to safe-mode boot (that is the point of safe mode!), and it appears imposssible to boot into safe mode.

And I do need to boot into safe mode to disable/remove what appears to be an incorrect video driver, which at the moment just displays a garbled single line on normal boot.

Can anyone suggest how to modify an installed driver when you cannot boot normal or safe?

There is no problem modifying any of the startup text files autoexec, config, system.ini, win.ini etc as I can do that from XP.

Certain applications at work still require a Win98 environment, and I need to do some development/repair work on this at home.

Also you should be aware than Win/98 demands install on C:\ so partitioning will be an issue.

As for driver updates: move the HD to another system and just COPY the
files to the correct location (the *.ini and *.sys)

Hard to believe

Certain applications at work still require a Win98 environment, and I need to do some development/repair work on this at home.
Have you tried XP compatability mode option for W98 ?
I have XP Home and all my applications old and new work ok.
I don't even use compatability mode.
Name these applications.:confused:

(1) not a problem installing Win98 dual-boot - the real problem is I have an invalid video driver and can't remember how to repair that other than a complete reinstall (no 'repair' alternative boot is there?)

(2) Have the ability to run the Win98 programs in compatibility mode under XP, but the mouse does not work (on my PC) except in full screen mode, and then is so sluggish and jerky as to be unusable. The colours are also wrong. On a more modern PC the mouse works, but colours and window sizing still unaceptable. Actually, the programs concerned are in Foxpro for Dos, so are really running in the 16-bit Dos subsystem of Win98, and work great there, because Win98 was built on Dos

(3) Have tried Sun Virtualbox. Will run, but no use. Much too slow, no direct access to data except via a CD or USB

(3) Cannot run MS Virtual PC - needs XP-pro host minimum. Not sure if the same restrictions to direct data access apply anyway.

(4) Can possibly run VMware, but which of the many versions, and are any free, or run on XP-home ? I Doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back