Fallout: New Vegas player beats game on max difficulty without dying or killing anyone

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Dedication: Fallout: New Vegas is approaching its 8th anniversary yet as runs like this highlight, the game still has a dedicated fan base. And really, we owe it all to platforms like Twitch and YouTube for fostering such a community. Without them, feats like this would go undocumented.

Fallout: New Vegas player Rhetam in March 2017 set out on a monumental challenge run to see if he could complete the NCR main quest path and every side quest on the hardest difficulty with hardcore mode and permadeath enabled, all without companions, without dying and without killing anyone (well, not technically, anyway).

After more than a year of trying, he finally achieved the self-imposed goal, recently sharing the final leg of the journey on YouTube.

The feat does come with a few caveats which some runners might take issue with. For example, Rhetam used boxing gloves, allowing him to knock people unconscious (but not kill them). He would also act as bait at times, luring enemies to nearby allies or other foes that would finish off the job for him. Still, he didn’t directly kill anyone himself.

Similar stunts have been accomplished in other games like Fallout 4.

Rhetam posted a summary with highlights of the achievement over on Reddit but if you’ve got the time and interest, you can check out the multi-episode run on YouTube.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

My kind of guy. I love setting myself fun challenges like this, and I typically play games (that allow for it) non-lethally whenever possible. Less of a moral thing, and more of a masochistic "this is stupidly hard, but fun" thing.

Props to this fella. Reminds me a bit of that Felix the Pacifist Cat playthrough in Skyrim.

So New Vegas had a knockout weapon?? This is something I always wanted to see in Bethesda RPGs. Well, now I need to go finish NV I guess.

That's nuts. I'm not sure to admire the guy or tell him, "you're doing it wrong." ;)

I tried this in Skyrim. To defeat the dragon snaring souls of the dead by not feeding the dragon. Took me a few characters, because I would totally restart if my impulses where to swing. So I ran through the first escape, and that was easy enough. Went back, and all the enemies where friendly. As if the entire start scene was an illusion of the dragon.
Then went through a few trial and error restarts to keep the guy in the spider web alive. Where he will stop and say the line "This is where you cut me down." As if it was an illusion of the dragon trying to influence death. Some glitches show up, like the dragon priest run into traps.. and then mysteriously glitch in front of the dragon claw room where they no longer can fire their weapon.
Things like Ice Trolls, they are lot like monks meditating. They have the third eye.
And after all that, and getting to the dragon priest summit, the images on the dragon born on the final dragon claw room looked just like my character. And I was like what. Made me think of enders game. Because the first character in the experiment ended up looking like one on the first dragon claw room. Till I got a little further in and committed a lot of violence and created a new character to run the dragon illusion gauntlet. But you learn all these new tricks for doing so, and I wiped out some dungeons in record time by using the environment as a weapon. And some dragon priest with a level 1 by making them glitch and then go through traps.
But one can get the opinion if one doesn't use violence in Skyrim that the Dragon is just an illusion, and the player is trapped in a soul gym, and that the soul gem illusion power was what keep the soul inside the gym. That the dragon born was the end dragon, who feed off the dead overfilling their inventory items with junk. Feeding off the dead to increase in power. And that is why the player is just like the end dragon.

Back