Fan 4-pin cabled assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIGHISSIMO

I'd like to connect some hdd coolers and a couple of fans on my pc.I want to connect them immediately on the psu with a 4-pin peripheral molex.

1. Since the cable of the hdd cooler and the cable of the fan have 2 pins (and not 4), can I connect two of them (two hdd cooler or two fans or one hdd cooler and one fan) on one 4-pin peripheral molex of the psu?Or is there any problem with the voltage?

2. Can I use a multi (2 or 3 or 4) way molex 4 pin peripheral power cable splitter like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-way-molex-4-p...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b0b5d48b

for example?
Thanks in advance...

1. & 2. Probably but it depends on your power supply and how much load that line is already carrying and/or how much more it can handle.

IMHO, that PSU can handle it. It has a single 12V rail so you don't have to be concerned with any balance issues but just like electrical wall outlets at home I wouldn't overdo it by connecting too many devices to a single molex connector. In other words if you want to use more than one of those three way splitters, don't daisy chain them on a single molex. Spread it around so you don't put too much current through one molex.

Fans take up very little current, compared to HDDs and whatnot that usually gets powered. 3-4 should be fine on a single line.

Personally haven't seen anyone burn a 12V or 5V line due to overloading a single line before. Anyone ever experienced it?

Okay, we'll just take a look at the specs, just so everyone's minds are at ease.

The wires used in most power supplies are sized AWG 22. Not sure if this is the minimum required for ATX spec, but it sure is whats most common.

For wires this size, they're specced for a maximum of 8A. That is a LOT of current.

The biggest fan I found from a quick google is Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm Fan 3000rpm. This fan is specced 0.6A.

Theoretically, you should be able to put in.... 12 of these really BIG, NOISY fans. Mind you, they aren't the run-of-the-mill 120mm fans. In comparison, P4 stock heatsink's fans draw between 0.12 to 0.22A (depending on what P4 speed), and those are noisy enough really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back