Fan not working and PC instantly slowed down?

joe159540

Hi when I applied some new Thermal paste to my rig I noticed that my case fan stop spinning after the POST test on bootup.
my build is.
G33MO3 Motherboard
E8500 CPU
EVGA gtx 650 GPU
250 Seagate HDD
Simple samsung Optical drive
430w corsair PSU
2x1Gb DDR2 RAM
I am running the latest version of BIOS for my motherboard (dell revision 1.0.15).
This is unfortunate as I was just about to overclock my system and now the only fan on my case has gone.
I know the fan works because during POST it spins up.
I've tried clearing the BIOS to default with CMOS but that did nothing but slow my computer down.
Thank you.

Hmm, don't try clearing the BIOS, try looking through it, the fan might be disabled for some reason in there. Also, do you have any other places you could plug that fan into ( on the motherboard, or you could just use two wires to connect it to the PSU directly ? Also, make sure any fan-control or overclock software doesn't interfere.

I only have one fan port on my mobo. The only overclocking I have is done though GPUtweak and that is software for the GPU. I know the fan works because if I send the pc to sleep then wake it the fan instantly revs up to max speed which is quite bad as its a niosy fan. Although im replacing it soon.

Don't worry much about it then until you replace it, it's most likely it. Although I just remembered a BIOS setting on a PC I examined, it had sort of like the Cool'N'Quiet option for the CPU, just for all other fans too, so the case fans were working only when the CPU ( or some other sensor ) overheated.

Back